Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : adventure king mirror (puzzles)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

5.4/10 (9 votes)
σ 2.45
Author Name:Vladislav
Submitted By:Vladilav
Hold Name:adventure king mirror
Theme:puzzles
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:7
Number of Rooms:74
Number of Monsters:1615
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+1 / -1)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: adventure king mirror.hold (33.4 KB)
Downloaded 709 times.
License: Other
icon adventure king mirror  
aš daryti tvirtovę, kol visi nepatinka ...
07-03-2012 at 07:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: adventure king mirror (+1)  
What can I say about this hold? (Other than the fact that I still have a few more rooms to go.)

It certainly has puzzles galore, and many of them are at least somewhat challenging. The problem is that few of the puzzles are more than hack-and-slash, which makes them tedious and uninteresting. I forget if I ever played through journey to the palace of sleep, but these puzzles probably are better.

Most puzzles revolve around speed potions and brained monsters. Again, these puzzles are mostly hack-and-slash, but there are a few more complicated ones, and some use hack-and-slash in a clever, interesting way. Finally, several trapdoor puzzles make an appearance, but none of them are more interesting than navigating them by yourself.

I should mention something about the story here, but the better part of me recommends trying to block out the story as best you can. It makes no sense in English, and I doubt it would be much better in unmodified Russian. Unfortunately, this has an impact on the "hint" scrolls in the mirror-maneuvering rooms.

In other words, the scrolls make absolutely no sense.

Overall, this hold is somewhat decent. At 60+ puzzle rooms, though, it is not something anyone could conquer in their coffee break. Pace yourself well, and this hold should be no problem. It might even be useful to some of the lower-skilled players out there. Happy smiting. :)

4 for fun
4 for brains
12/20 recommendation rating

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 07-03-2012 09:11 PM]
07-03-2012 at 09:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 872
icon Re: adventure king mirror (+1)  
As opposed to the above review, I thought this hold was thoroughly enjoyable and pretty well done. It's certainly not going to win any rewards, but it's definitely far from terrible. It's certainly one of my favorite holds I've played.

Starting with the cons, the spelling/grammar of the hold is terrible. The secret rooms (with the exception of one) were just terrible. The post-mastery rooms are some of the most trivial trash piles in the history of DROD. 1 or 2 rooms have very unintended solutions that literally break the room. Some of the rooms have large platforms unnecessary to the solution of the puzzle that lags the hold down a bit.

But if you get past that, there are plenty of good solid rooms of medium difficulty. Most of them are hack and slash, but they require more than just Q,W, repeat, which is great. One of the trapdoor puzzles was definitely the hardest one I have ever done. :) The aesthetics are pretty good too.

4 brains, 7.5 fun (rounded to 7)

Individual Room/Level Comments

beginning of the chase (first one)
Click here to view the secret text

beginning of the chase (second one)

middle of the chase (first one)

middle of the chase (second one)

the end of the chase (First one)

Post-Mastery Level

In conclusion, the hold maker had the right idea, a little bit of polish and testing would have made this great hold even better.

[Last edited by bomber50 at 09-14-2012 05:20 AM]
09-14-2012 at 05:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : adventure king mirror (puzzles) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com