Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Wishful Thinking - JtRH and TCB released as SMS (Pretty unlikely I'm sure, but I'll ask anyway)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
tonyk
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 45
IP: Logged
icon Wishful Thinking - JtRH and TCB released as SMS (+1)  
Hey All,

I confess to being a bit of a hoarder when it comes to backing up my various add-ons and installs. When it comes to DROD, I keep a copy of all the SmS holds that I've purchased so that, some time in the future, I can re-install without having access to the internet / CaravelNet (hey I'm in New Zealand, it happens).

I already own JtRH and TCB and now GatEB. KDD was of course released some time ago as an SmS (which I, being the addict I am, have also purchased).

So I ask because the hoarder in me demands it (though Mr Rational would suggest it is a fools errand) - are there any plans on releasing JtRH or TCB as non-CaravelNet versions (eg. SmS)? There's obviously a variety of good reasons not to, but I figure I need to hear it for real ;)

Oh and I know I could just use my old JtRH and TCB installs if needed (or get access to the internet to download again). I just like my one install of the 'latest version' with the Official Holds ready to go.

[Last edited by tonyk at 04-12-2012 09:05 AM]
04-12-2012 at 09:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
robin
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 844
icon Re: Wishful Thinking - JtRH and TCB released as SMS (+2)  
Here is how to do it:
Click here to view the secret text

The reason why those 2 holds haven't a ".hold"- file,
is because it's harder to copy them then.
If I want a friend of mine to have JtRH or TCB, I could just e-mail the hold file, or even publish it some where.
You still can't rule out piracy, but caravel can try their best to avoid illegal downloads for their biggest works.

[Last edited by robin at 04-12-2012 11:29 AM]
04-12-2012 at 09:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
tonyk
Rank Points: 45
icon Re: Wishful Thinking - JtRH and TCB released as SMS (0)  
robin wrote:
The reason why those 2 holds haven't a ".hold"- file,
is because it's harder to copy them then.
If I want a friend of mine to have JtRH or TCB, I could just e-mail the hold file, or even publish it some where.
You still can't rule out piratie, but caravel can try their best to avoid illegal downloads for their biggest works.

Very true and the rational reason for this to be the case ... I guess I hold out hope that as DROD iterations increase the odds of the older Holds becoming available does too.

04-12-2012 at 10:25 AM
Keiya
Rank Points: 73
The strange thing is, the big piracy sites have the JTRH, TCB, KDD 2.0, and TT... but none of the SmSes, suggesting that, for the 'torrent' sort of piracy, the SmS distribution model is actually less risky. Though that's probably just because by the time you're likely to want them, you're likely to have become part of the community to some degree... and it's psychologically a lot harder to rip off mrimer, larrymurk, Schik, etc than it is to rip off 'Caravel Games'.

The names used are in no way intended to signify they're more important, just that they were the first people to come to mind who I know for sure have worked on commercial releases, other than ErikH, who's not as involved anymore.

Official Hold Progress:

04-12-2012 at 11:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: Wishful Thinking - JtRH and TCB released as SMS (+2)  
tonyk wrote:
Oh and I know I could just use my old JtRH and TCB installs if needed (or get access to the internet to download again). I just like my one install of the 'latest version' with the Official Holds ready to go.
If you ever want to redownload those games into the latest version such as GatEB, simply send an email to support, and we can find a way to accommodate that (Usually with a week long temp subscription to CaravelNet).

04-12-2012 at 03:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Emojk
Rank Points: 94
robin wrote:
Here is how to do it:

Call me a noob, but I don't see how to do that. I have access to CaravelNet, and all three games are on my mac, but I can't figure out how to import JtRH and TCB into GatEB. Maybe it's because I'm on OS X?
04-12-2012 at 07:01 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: Wishful Thinking - JtRH and TCB released as SMS (+3)  
I'm on a Mac too. Basically, if you have CaravelNet and you've previously purchased the games under the same username, open the game, go to "Play", then "Change Location" and you should be able to see a list of holds. Sort by "Official" to make it easier and then "Download" the holds you own.

04-12-2012 at 07:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
It's a tech support related issue with Emojk - I've PM-ed Emojk and we'll get to the bottom of it!

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 04-12-2012 07:57 PM]
04-12-2012 at 07:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Krissan
Rank Points: 89
TCB doesn't show up for my either in GateB. I believe I actually bought two copies of it (downloadable and then the "deluxe box" for supporting-the-community purposes).

In all the excitement over GateB I never exported my player file from TCB, will that resolve the issue? (Though I realize I'll probably end up with two different player files with different progress).

04-13-2012 at 10:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Keiya
No... you need to have TCB registered on the same forum account, it's nothing to do with your player profile

Official Hold Progress:

04-13-2012 at 11:15 PM
Krissan
Keiya wrote:
No... you need to have TCB registered on the same forum account, it's nothing to do with your player profile

Now I'm really confused.

04-14-2012 at 07:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stoney
Rank Points: 39
Will I be able to import my player file as well? I just purchased GatEB and intend to download both JtRH and TCB Files into it once it arrives. I have a JtRH game in progress, which I do not want to lose. All games should be registered to my forum account.

[Last edited by Stoney at 04-14-2012 06:22 PM]
04-14-2012 at 06:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Keiya
icon Re: Wishful Thinking - JtRH and TCB released as SMS (+1)  
Yes, you can import your player file. What I said earlier was that doing so wouldn't unlock the ability to download TCB. If it's already tied to your forum account it should be fine though.

Official Hold Progress:

04-14-2012 at 09:15 PM
Krissan
Keiya wrote:

Ok, I just checked this. My TCB is pretty much a fresh install from october/november. In the setting screen, my CaravelNet name is stated as Krissan. I connect to CaravelNet without a problem.

Same with GateB. I requested a new key through the forums and made sure the same key was in both games. Yet, TCB doesn't show up in GateB.

What did I break and how did I do it? :huh

04-15-2012 at 09:03 PM
Keiya
Is TCB registered on your forum account? When you bought it, there should have been a link emailed to you to activate a free month of caravelnet... this also marks your account as having bought it. Which the email doesn't mention, annoyingly.

If you didn't do that, the forum doesn't know you bought TCB, so you won't be able to download it in game. Talk to support, they can probably sort it out for you.

Official Hold Progress:

04-15-2012 at 09:23 PM
Krissan
Keiya wrote:
Is TCB registered on your forum account? When you bought it, there should have been a link emailed to you to activate a free month of caravelnet... this also marks your account as having bought it. Which the email doesn't mention, annoyingly.

If you didn't do that, the forum doesn't know you bought TCB, so you won't be able to download it in game. Talk to support, they can probably sort it out for you.

A mod point to you, and one for gmail for quickly finding that long-forgotten and hidden away mail. Actually, gmail doesn't have a forum account, so you get both points.

Problem solved!

04-15-2012 at 10:34 PM
Moo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 224
You may be able to import older holds into newer versions, but it isn't really the same as playing the older versions themselves; the graphics, music, title screens, etc. would still be the "new" versions, from what I understand. Hence this topic. Perhaps there could be a way to import the old "assets" along with the official holds, and if the engine detected these, it could let you switch between different game "modes", and you'd be able to basically turn your GatEB DROD 4.0 into TCB DROD 4.0 or whatever. This would also mean you could play older user-holds in the way they were imagined too.
04-15-2012 at 10:54 PM
mtuan
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
icon Re: Wishful Thinking - JtRH and TCB released as SMS (-1)  
Keiya wrote:
The strange thing is, the big piracy sites have the JTRH, TCB, KDD 2.0, and TT... but none of the SmSes, suggesting that, for the 'torrent' sort of piracy, the SmS distribution model is actually less risky.

I tried a google search "DROD smitemaster" and found that piracy sites DID have DROD GatEB 4 days ago!

and SmSes such as Complex Complex, Beethro Teacher, Suit Pursuit, Smitemastery, Perfection, MasterLocks and Expert, Halph has a bad day, Beethro and Secret Society.

[Last edited by mtuan at 04-24-2012 11:34 AM]
04-24-2012 at 11:28 AM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3757
I wouldn't worry much about piracy. There are users who would've never bought the game and won't ever buy it because they can pirate it, and there are those who decided to buy it after pirate-playing it. Either way it is impossible to make it 100% secure and the best you can do is to "scent" any downloaded SMS with some number and later you can figure out who made it available on torrents and, probably, punish that person, but who cares? :)

04-24-2012 at 11:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Keiya
Yeah, I'm aware they're out there, but the big places (notably a certain feature where water is surounded by land filled with those who commit crimes on the high sea) don't have 'em. And skell, it's an interesting thing I noticed, not a worry :P

Official Hold Progress:

04-24-2012 at 04:27 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Every time I see this topic updated I think someone is proposing that the SmS be named Wishful Thinking.

04-24-2012 at 06:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Bitmap Brothers were probably the best at preventing illegal copies back in the day. Not only did they rely on bad sectors on the floppy but they used the failed seek return values as part of the data so you couldn't just skip the inital sector check.

Ah those were the days :)
04-25-2012 at 01:41 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Wishful Thinking - JtRH and TCB released as SMS (Pretty unlikely I'm sure, but I'll ask anyway)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com