Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : WQ version 4.2 released!
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
googa
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 282
IP: Logged
icon WQ version 4.2 released! (+2)  
Hello everyone.

I've made a few modifications in the game code.
A brand new graphics engine is being used to render the game and the good news is that
WQ is now faster and fully compatible with Windows 7 and a lot of low end graphic cards.
It works like a charm under W7 now...

Version 4.2 will only be released in this post for now for testing purposes until we have a stable release.
A few glitches and bugs may be found, but not that much since only the engine code has been changed, not the game code.

You can download it here.

Best Regards.
01-04-2012 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
asmussen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 188
icon Re: WQ version 4.2 released! (+1)  
Just tried this. Didn't see any specific upgrade instructions, so I just installed it over the old version. It starts up, but trying to select any item off of the main menu results in a crash to desktop without any error messages. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. I couldn't find any error log, and the only events in the event viewer I could see from the time of the crash are:

A request to disable the Desktop Window Manager was made by process (WonderQuest.exe)

and

The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because composition was disabled by a running application

However, those are both just informational messages, and may very well be perfectly normal even when the application is running correctly for all I know.

What other information can I provide to help?

01-05-2012 at 08:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
asmussen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 188
Further experimentation revealed that it was something in my preferences.dat file that the new version didn't like. After deleting preferences.dat, the game stopped crashing. I haven't tested it much further than that at this point, although I did continue my current saved game successfully.

01-07-2012 at 02:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
googa
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 282
I should have mentioned before that it's strongly recommended not to install the game over an old version. Thanks Asmussen.
01-07-2012 at 02:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
Downloading! My brother also did a DROD inspired game, Voligner (quite neat actually). Check it out in development if you're interested.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 01-07-2012 10:11 AM]
01-07-2012 at 10:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dimitris
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 37
icon Re: WQ version 4.2 released! (0)  
The installer and game exes do not have icons. Is this normal?

I think my old xp machine run the game a bit better.
There is tearing when I switch screens and the sound is not clear.
Though it's been years since I played it and maybe that's how the previous version was.

Amazing game and will gladly replay. So many brilliant rooms.
01-07-2012 at 12:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
floreceB
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
icon Re: WQ version 4.2 released! (0)  
I was interested with new version. I'll try it soon.
02-20-2012 at 06:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : WQ version 4.2 released!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com