Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Voligner (DROD like game)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rheb
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1211
IP: Logged
icon Re: Voligner (0)  
skell wrote:
You can always try giving a direct link ;).
I will totally check it out once I get back from work this evening!
Yeah, I know. I kinda like having a constant link that doesn't need to be changed when newer versions are uploaded though.

Doom wrote:
Tried this for the first time, but I get this exact same problem. Except I'm on Windows 7, not XP.

Waiting doesn't work, doesn't respond to any input. The usual tricks like using compatibility mode or running as admin didn't have any effect either.
Hmm, this is very disturbing news...

Going through my posts I see it has been 8 months since the first and only time I ran into this problem. I think it was on a xp machine at school. I didn't have access to perform any tests at that computer. It kept on bothering my for a while, but before you wrote this I had actually forgotten the problem had ever existed.

The only thing I really know about the problem is that it's somewhat rare, it only appears on certain computers. But the problem with the game will stick on these computers.

So, umm, I'll do my best to get it fixed, but I don't have a lot of ideas at the moment... :?

[Last edited by Rheb at 01-26-2012 03:31 PM]
01-26-2012 at 03:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
We've had issues somewhat like this when evolving DROD builds. It sometimes has to do with what common third-party libraries and frameworks are currently installed on the OS, like a certain .NET version, for instance. Maybe we can figure out a pattern here to isolate this.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-26-2012 03:33 PM]
01-26-2012 at 03:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
Ok, just trying the first thing that came to mind. I've uploaded a version where I've removed the user input console loop. Now when you run Voligner.exe the SFML window (game window) should instantly be opened. I don't think this has a very good chance to work, but I figured that there may be a possibility that the console loop is causing problems.

Here's the link (EDIT: download link was buggy due to brackets): http://rheb.mauft.com/
I'll need Doom or Larry to check whether it solves the problem or not.

(In this version you can only play the normal level. But if it solves the problem that's fine, because i was planning to do this anyway by replacing the console loop with an in-game menu.)

mrimer wrote:
We've had issues somewhat like this when evolving DROD builds. It sometimes has to do with what common third-party libraries and frameworks are currently installed on the OS, like a certain .NET version, for instance. Maybe we can figure out a pattern here to isolate this.
Ah, ok. That makes the issue slightly more understandable for me. It's really annoying to be aware of a problem existing, but you cannot see it yourself -_-

[Last edited by Rheb at 01-26-2012 04:47 PM]
01-26-2012 at 04:44 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Voligner (+2)  
Don't see a difference with the new version, but I'll let you know if I figure something out on my end to fix it.

Edit:
It's an old(?) problem with ATI graphics cards. I googled this thread that provided a workaround that allows me to run the game.

[Last edited by Doom at 01-26-2012 05:08 PM]
01-26-2012 at 04:57 PM
Rheb
Doom wrote:
Don't see a difference with the new version, but I'll let you know if I figure something out on my end to fix it.

Edit:
It's an old(?) problem with ATI graphics cards. I googled this thread that provided a workaround that allows me to run the game.
Oh, cool!

So simply placing atigktxx.dll into the game folder solved the problem for you?

Maybe I should include that in future releases, it doesn't really take up any space.

01-26-2012 at 06:38 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Voligner (+1)  
Yup. Works with that file in the same directory.

Supposedly (based on other posts from the same site) it's fixed in SFML 2.0 too or avoidable by some static linking shenanigans. I'm not familiar with the technical details though, so don't ask me if those are reasonable things to look at.
01-26-2012 at 08:31 PM
Rheb
Well, I've been looking for solutions for some time now. The official statements I could find are pretty fragmented, and nothing so far has been covering all that I want to know, witch is a bit disappointing.

From what I gather, (which may not be completely accurate), upgrading to SFML 2.0 is likely to solve the problem but I haven't seen enough yet to be sure there won't be any complications. 2.0 is still in beta, and the upgrading process seems to be kind of messy with some significant changes to the SFML classes.

Using static libraries does not seem to solve the entire problem, so I don't think I will do that.

The ati-dll fix is no universal fix either. There are 3 different dll:s posted on that site, each of which may solve the problem depending on what ATI drivers you have and whether you have a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows. (Again, this is just what I gather from reading the posts.)

If I include the atio6axx.dll or the atioglxx.dll into the game's executable directory everything will continue running fine. But if I include the atigktxx.dll, (the one that fixed Doom's problems), the game's resolution will be messed up... This is using my laptop which has an ATI graphics card.

For now I think I will include the dll fixes in a separate "bug-fix" directory within the executable directory. But I'll definitely consider upgrading to SFML 2.0 sometime in the future.

... Ok, so I'm really not comfortable covering these issues, because my understanding here is basic at best, but bear with me O:-

01-27-2012 at 02:00 AM
Rheb
One of the friends I sent the game to had the startup problem. So I've made a small update where I include the startup bugfix in a separate folder within the game. I've also made a minor change to the third normal room to make it impossible to get stuck on the arrows, (as the restoring info has not yet been shown to the player).

[Last edited by Rheb at 01-27-2012 05:09 PM]
01-27-2012 at 05:08 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
It would probably be a good idea to have the facility to name rooms/levels.

I need help in the room where you need to "gwt the runner stuck in the middle tunnel".

I can get the runner to go up into the tunnel, but there's no way I can see to get the biter in there at the same time. If I try to get the runner on the right to help me, I end up diverting the first runner off course. Is the clue a red herring or am I missing something?

01-29-2012 at 06:35 PM
Rheb
Jacob wrote:
It would probably be a good idea to have the facility to name rooms/levels.

I need help in the room where you need to "gwt the runner stuck in the middle tunnel".

I can get the runner to go up into the tunnel, but there's no way I can see to get the biter in there at the same time. If I try to get the runner on the right to help me, I end up diverting the first runner off course. Is the clue a red herring or am I missing something?
I should probably move that room to later, it's a bit too difficult for that early position.

And yeah, room numbers (and maybe room names) should be visible.

Hints:
Click here to view the secret text

01-29-2012 at 07:36 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
Very clever.

Very nice game. My only comments at the moment would be that I am struggling a little with all the different tiles, they look a little too similar (though I am a little colour blind).

Also, some kind of effect when I kill a monster might be nice - not necessarily blood, but something to indicate that I've killed something.

01-29-2012 at 08:18 PM
Rheb
Jacob wrote:
Very clever.

Very nice game. My only comments at the moment would be that I am struggling a little with all the different tiles, they look a little too similar (though I am a little colour blind).

Also, some kind of effect when I kill a monster might be nice - not necessarily blood, but something to indicate that I've killed something.
Yeah, there are definitely some graphical effects and sounds I would like to implement.

01-29-2012 at 09:17 PM
Rheb
icon Re: Voligner (+2)  
It's been a while...

Voligner is now UPDATED!

Lots of new stuff has been added:
* New puzzles.
* A menu.
* Sound effects.
* New visual effects.
* Monster switchers.
* Improved level editor.
* Minor graphical improvements.
* Improved functionality and info in the right hand of the screen.

So generally, I hope the game is much more approachable now, even for someone who is not into DROD. I've worked hard on getting the learning curve much more forgiving. My goal is for the game to be able to stand on its own legs.

To do: Make plenty of puzzles using the merging and switching features.

Here is the download link: http://rheb.mauft.com/Voligner0.30.4.zip

01-03-2013 at 12:29 AM
calthax
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 1
icon level 11 is too hard (0)  
level 11 is too hard

[Last edited by calthax at 12-03-2013 05:08 AM]
12-02-2013 at 11:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rheb
icon Re: level 11 is too hard (+2)  
calthax wrote:
level 11 is too hard
Fun to see someone playing this game :)

Click here to view the secret text

12-03-2013 at 10:11 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Voligner (DROD like game)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com