Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Behind the Physics of DROD Elements (My opinions on the subject matter)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
IP: Logged
icon Behind the Physics of DROD Elements (+3)  
I've always wanted to try to explain how DROD elements work using Earthly physics - I'm sure many of you have wondered how they work as well. Wonder no more, for I present my attempt at explaining the elements of the game in Earthly physics: what they are and how they work.

First Tab Elements
(secreted for space)
Click here to view the secret text

Second Tab Elements
(secreted for space)
Click here to view the secret text

I will add more content later. However, this list alone took me about three hours to complete. Thanks for reading.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 10-25-2010 07:13 PM]
10-25-2010 at 12:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: Behind the Physics of DROD Elements (0)  
But, but, but how do tunnels work exactly? They can make people cross an entire room in just one turn! They drastically increase the speed people can move at! Some of them only work in one direction!

And most importantly, I've seen tunnels that just go straight into pits and come out of the ground at the other end! How does that even work?

10-25-2010 at 02:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Chaco wrote:
But, but, but how do tunnels work exactly? They can make people cross an entire room in just one turn! They drastically increase the speed people can move at! Some of them only work in one direction!

And most importantly, I've seen tunnels that just go straight into pits and come out of the ground at the other end! How does that even work?
Yes, I was considering the unique nature of tunnels beyond their Earthly capacity... That's something I will have to edit when I come up with a good enough solution.

;)

10-25-2010 at 03:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
Wormhole tunnels?
10-25-2010 at 03:09 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: Behind the Physics of DROD Elements (+1)  
It's a little known fact, but tunnels work by being lined with magnets thus making them outside the flow of time. It looks like it takes you one turn to move but you age by the amount of turns you actually walked inside the tunnel.

10-25-2010 at 07:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: Behind the Physics of DROD Elements (+3)  
Broken walls
Whether dungeon exposure has taken its toll or the architect intentionally wrecked it, broken walls are walls that, while are relatively stable, are particularly weak in the previously mentioned "notch", meaning broken walls will collapse if a sword is inserted into that notch. Of course, "relatively stable" is only a relative term. Other significant forces, such as an explosion, are more than enough to shatter broken walls.
May I propose another explanation, born of experience and within the laws of our own physics?

Some of you may remember that 4 years ago this week we had a major weather event in this part of Scotland (there is a thread about it HERE if anyone wants to check the details). Just over a year later the repairs were done and we have had problems with the stone parapets on the new bridge ever since. When my neighbours and I eventually tracked down and spoke to the man who built the parapets, he told us that the council had insisted on him doing the work in the winter as soon as the road was rebuilt, because they wanted the whole projected completed and signed off. Now apparently if cement is used in temperatures of 5 C or less it will not set properly and of course when he was working in late December it was that cold. The cement is so soft I can scratch it away with my fingers and as a result of it being so crumbly the stones are falling out.

So I wonder if the crumbly walls in The Eighth could be as much the fault of sloppy workmanship by some of the mortar technicians? That might also account for (unconfirmed) reports of internal squabbles between the Architects Guild and the Mortar Technicians Guild.

10-25-2010 at 12:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Added the second tab of elements.

10-25-2010 at 07:13 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Behind the Physics of DROD Elements (+1)  
I'm sure this overthinking is fun, and all, but if you're going to postulate alternate energy universe bubbles, I'm not sure why you bother with mundane and graphically inconsistent explanations for things like force arrows.

Turnstiles in particular would be very easy for a delver to simply hold shut while thrusting his sword through the gap. There would be no need to worry about roaches following close behind, yet clearly this is not the case.

10-25-2010 at 08:16 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Behind the Physics of DROD Elements (My opinions on the subject matter)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com