Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Caravel chat open to all?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
IP: Logged
icon Caravel chat open to all? (+1)  
Hi,

This is an open question, mostly directed towards Schik and mrimer, but I think we could gain some traction if the in-game chat was available to all with a forum account.

I'm sure there are plenty of players without Caravel playing at a given time, and having an active in-game community would help newcomers as well as boost appeal.

Just a thought...

Syntax
08-01-2010 at 04:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: Caravel chat open to all? (0)  
I would be in favour of anything that re-energises our community. ( I know that having just come back from a fairly long absence it may seem that I have a bit of a nerve saying so.)

08-01-2010 at 05:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Syntax wrote:
This is an open question, mostly directed towards Schik and mrimer, but I think we could gain some traction if the in-game chat was available to all with a forum account.

I'm sure there are plenty of players without Caravel playing at a given time, and having an active in-game community would help newcomers as well as boost appeal.
That's a nice idea and one I'm not opposed to. It would require some client- and server-side reengineering, as you would expect, but maybe we can fit it in someday.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-01-2010 at 08:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Good to hear :)

I guess it would reuse the same login boxes as currently in Settings but the actual extent of permissions would depend on Caravel.net status.
08-01-2010 at 09:25 PM
mrimer
Syntax wrote:
Good to hear :)

I guess it would reuse the same login boxes as currently in Settings but the actual extent of permissions would depend on Caravel.net status.
Right. Offhand, I wouldn't expect any change to the UI.

08-01-2010 at 09:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
icon Re: Caravel chat open to all? (+1)  
An (easier?) variation of the idea, based on chat in... chat (it's actually quite busy tonight) - how about enabling the forum chat for all logged-in users (and perhaps still leaving the in-game chat for Caravel.net users)?

Technically this should be a lot easier I believe, and wouldn't require actual DROD changes...

If that's workable, it would also be good to have the chat as a sub-div on the first page perhaps (php shoutbox style) - as proposed by Elfstone. There'd need to be an option to turn off chat but I think it would boost interest - "Wow... I'm chatting with people actually playing right now" - as well as drive traffic to the forum (I don't have Caravel but can still chat live with fellow players)
08-01-2010 at 10:07 PM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
Hmm, allowing all logged in users to use the Forum's Caravel Chat, instead of just people who have bought CaravelNet Membership? That sounds like a Good Idea (TM) to help some lurking forumites find their way into the metaphorical light of regularly posting.

Although, allowing non-CaravelNet members to chat with each other in the game, as well as in the forum chat may further improve the number of regularly posting forum users. It may also greatly remove the desire to purchase CaravelNet membership, which would decrease the amount of money Caravel makes, though an increased daily post count and subsequently increased quantity of registered users may ultimately end up in an increased income for Caravel. That would also be a Good Thing (TM), should it come to pass.

-Said the guy from somewhere a while ago

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
08-02-2010 at 01:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Well, we already have the chat option in the top-right (with Caravel.net) as well as in-game.

I'm proposing to open up that chat feature in the forums...
08-02-2010 at 02:01 AM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
Syntax wrote:
Syntax wrote:
I'm proposing to open up that chat feature in the forums...
Unless I'm misinterpreting someting, you seem to be contradicting yourself.
Edit: Ok, I just re-read the thread and noticed you retracted your first statement (or at least revised it). Sorry 'bout that.

The forums do seem to have taken a steep decline in activity since I last checked, and that's never a good thing. However, while I think the idea is good, I believe a lot of people wouldn't even notice if the in-game chat got opened for everyone, especially if it would require a patch to work. The forum chat on the other hand would most likely be fine to open up, and would give yet another incentive to buy a CaravelNet subscription ("buy CN and you get to chat in-game"). I propose to open the chat only in the forums and not in-game. This would most likely increase forum activity (or at least chat activity) and perhaps even increase CN sales.
</2cents>
Edit2: I really should read before I think, and think before I write. 12th Archivist already wrote the things above. In any case, I concur.

[Last edited by Stefan at 08-02-2010 02:59 AM]
08-02-2010 at 02:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
melvin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 34
icon Re: Caravel chat open to all? (+3)  
Very old topic, but with the Steam release and all since then I think it's definitely a good idea to open this up for all!

Ideally there is automatic support for Steam players where it just works out of the box (steam ID auth?). Requiring a subscription, for a paid game, to have in-game chat in current year is something new players will not like!

I introduce quite some people to DROD over the years and that usually goes through Steam, as dealing with "yet another account" is quite a hurdle to get people to try it. (Once they're in, like the game, and need hints, the forum comes naturally.)

P.S. I think it would really help to have a demo up for Gunthro as well (on steam)! DROD is a game to experience, trailers and screenshots just don't convey what is really is.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by melvin at 01-29-2022 07:39 PM]
01-29-2022 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions!

I can see why the current chat limitations in particular seem odd. I'm fine with any changes Schik wants to make here.

02-16-2022 at 06:29 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Caravel chat open to all?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com