Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Personal Approval Rating (An explanation)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
IP: Logged

File: PARinfo.PNG (25.5 KB)
Downloaded 328 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Personal Approval Rating (+1)  
I intend to start writing hold reviews for every hold to play, both to try to invigorate the forum, and to test how well I my public critique is.

In addition to the room comments and the brain/fun rating, I have another quantity, a personal approval rating. This value represents how much I would suggest playing this hold first, before all other holds. A 100/100 approval rating means "Play this first! I absolutely guarantee your complete satisfaction!" while a 0/100 approval rating means "Don't even look at this hold, let alone play it. Honestly, it's a pile of cat leavings." This scale of 0 through 100 has different "tiers" of how much I suggest playing it. Here's the data:

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 06-13-2010 02:59 AM]
06-13-2010 at 02:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Personal Approval Rating (+1)  
Bad Evil Restaurant is goddamn genius.
06-13-2010 at 06:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
icon Re: Personal Approval Rating (0)  
This all sounds good to me, and it's great to get some more hold reviews. But in another thread you state you get this score by multiplying difficulty and hold rating together, which does not make sense for a number of fairly obvious reasons.

This also reminds me that I should write some more reviews. I've only written about 3.

06-13-2010 at 11:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: Personal Approval Rating (0)  
Jacob wrote:
But in another thread you state you get this score by multiplying difficulty and hold rating together, which does not make sense for a number of fairly obvious reasons.
Actually, I said I was going to cease that method of rating and use this one instead. Perhaps I should edit that post to make it a bit clearer.

EDIT:
Banjooie wrote:
Bad Evil Restaurant is a goddamn genius.
Perhaps. Despite its intentions, however, Bad Evil Restaurant has very poor puzzles (usually impossible or trivial), an ultra-shoddy story, and rooms that remind me of chocolate milk I once kept in my refrigerator for over six months: stinky. Those three qualities overshadow its "better" qualities.

Besides, this table is directed towards people who want to play holds, not make them. If this was a table to help architects learn the methods of making a good hold, I would rate Bad Evil Restaurant in the 90's range because it teaches architects what not to do.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!

[Last edited by 12th Archivist at 06-13-2010 04:30 PM]
06-13-2010 at 04:20 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Personal Approval Rating (+2)  
I would recomend you to concentrate primarely on holds you would wish to recomend.
06-15-2010 at 08:48 AM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
icon Re: Personal Approval Rating (+2)  
Blondbeard wrote:
I would recomend you to concentrate primarely on holds you would wish to recomend.
Yes, please. I hate it when people bring up hold after hold that simply are no fun to play through, just to say that they simply are no fun to play through. (Which 6 persons before them already have said). It's just taking up a lot of space in the holds board, and drawing focus away from the good holds that are being featured on the board.

06-15-2010 at 02:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Personal Approval Rating (+1)  
Rheb wrote:
Blondbeard wrote:
Yes, please. I hate it when people bring up hold after hold that simply are no fun to play through, just to say that they simply are no fun to play through. (Which 6 persons before them already have said). It's just taking up a lot of space in the holds board, and drawing focus away from the good holds that are being featured on the board.

I kind of tend to be of the opinion that any publicity is better than no publicity. While I would rather that 12th devoted his energy to reviewing more worthy holds, any posting on the Holds board is really to be encouraged. It's eyecatching and it may motivate more people to rate and/or comment on holds.

I try to always offer a comment on any hold that I play, even when I can't think of anything nice to say about the hold. Of course, I don't go scraping the bottom of the barrel, quality-wise, unless I'm in a particular kind of mood. Which usually holds like that do nothing to improve.

Hey, what exactly is wrong with me, anyway?

Josh

06-15-2010 at 03:02 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Personal Approval Rating (An explanation)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com