Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Recovering the game(s) installer
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
pouzzler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33
IP: Logged
icon Recovering the game(s) installer (0)  
Hello,

I doubt many remember me, since it is been a very long time.
Following several computer crashes and real life events, I don't have the DROD games installers.

I owned JTRH for sure, and I do believe I had KDD and TCB too. How do I proceed to recover these installers?
I would like to help the team with a membership, which would allow me to get new key, as far as I recall - however, I would not be willing to buy the whole games anew.

Is there any way out of my (self-inflicted) quandary?

Best regards,
pouzz
04-30-2010 at 01:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Recovering the game(s) installer (+1)  
Well, if you're going to buy CaravelNet, then you will get access to download the installers for games you have purchased - they will show up in the Downloads area (link up at top).

If you decide not to buy a year of CaravelNet, let us know and we'll give you a free day or two so you can download your games.

04-30-2010 at 01:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
pouzzler
Hi,

9 euros is not much of a contribution, and maybe this'll allow me to grow a brain back, unlike world of warcraft.

A very small niggle is that I would have liked an answer to the support request I emailed several days ago, but I guess I'll put it on busy lives.

Thanks again, and best regards
pouzz
04-30-2010 at 02:07 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Recovering the game(s) installer (0)  
Sorry about not responding to some support e-mails yet. I have been busy lately and plan to catch up on them this weekend. Please disregard if I send you a (redundant) response.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-05-2010 at 05:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
pouzzler
Same idiot, play again...

I just bought Drod 5 : TSS on Steam.

Will getting one year of Caravel allow me to recover the games I previously owned?

Will it allow me to get them as holds in Drod 5?

Best regards!
06-16-2019 at 09:55 AM
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2670
CaravelNet can only allow downloading of official holds in-game if your forum account has purchases linked to it.

To check this, click on the Profile link at the top of the forum, and then click on the Purchases tab. Do the games show up on there offering you Steam and GOG keys? If yes, then you will be able to download them through CaravelNet, and can also download the original exes from the download link at the top of the forum, or use the keys to get the game on GOG or Steam.

If they do not show up as owned on the Purchases tab, then you will not be able to get them via CaravelNet.

Note that to get the games linked to your forum account, you need to buy them direct from Caravel.
06-16-2019 at 12:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
pouzzler
Thank you for drawing that page to my attention. I went there and saw that I could request steam keys for

DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
DROD: The City Beneath

However, when I enter these keys into Steam, Steam answers they are for expansions and I must first have the original game.
Which game must I own on steam?

The same page told me :

Smitemaster's Selections you have access to
King Dugan's Dungeon 2.0
The Choice
Beethro's Teacher
Perfection
Halph Has a Bad Day
Beethro and the Secret Society
Master Locks
Master Locks Expert
Smitemastery 101

but when I downloaded KDD 2.0 and tried to import it in TSS, TSS told me it was corrupted.

I am a bit lost :D
06-16-2019 at 01:16 PM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: Recovering the game(s) installer (+2)  
For some reason Steam didn't want to allow all 5 DROD games as separate files, from what I understand.

King Dugan's Dungeon, Journey to Rooted Hold, and The City Beneath are all downloadable DLC for Gunthro and the Epic Blunder on Steam.

edit: All smitemaster selections are also GatEB DLC. The Second Sky is the only standalone DROD product on Steam. Well, not counting Tendry's Tale (DROD RPG) which is also standalone.

Also, for the sake of completeness, The Second Sky's OST is technically DLC for The Second Sky.

edit2: For the sake of super completeness, Tendry's Tale's OST is DLC for that game.

[Last edited by mauvebutterfly at 06-16-2019 01:35 PM]
06-16-2019 at 01:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
pouzzler
One thing I believe I understand correctly is that there is no way to have all main holds into one engine? One must have a copy of each game?
06-16-2019 at 01:52 PM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
If you are buying them through Steam that is probably the case. If you buy them directly from the CaravelGames website you should be able to have them all in a single installation.

06-16-2019 at 01:57 PM
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
If you own each game on the forum, you can download older official holds into a newer engine. TSS is able to play all of the official holds, provided you own them on the forum and download them via CaravelNet in-game. I would have thought you can import the Smitemaster selections manually but KDD 2.0 giving you trouble makes me unsure. Ive always just used CaravelNet.

The situation on Steam with the older games being DLC for Gunthro is a consequence of the terrible Steam Greenlight process back when that was a thing.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 06-16-2019 02:01 PM]
06-16-2019 at 02:00 PM
pouzzler
Thanks everyone for all your answers.
I took another approach altogether : I asked and got a Steam refund, then bought Gunthro on Caravel, then could activate all my keys on Steam - kinda convoluted, but worked... just like a DROD level ;)

Buying Gunthro on Caravel...
got me a free Caravelnet month...
which allowed me to request a Caravel key...
which populated the change location game menu...
which allowed me to download all standalone games I owned as .hold...
BUT, not in the Steam version. In the Steam version, even though the .holds downloaded (at least, the progress bar progressed), they were still not selectable after the download completed, and the download button was still available.

Best regards

[Last edited by pouzzler at 06-16-2019 09:33 PM]
06-16-2019 at 09:32 PM
pouzzler
Curiouser and curiouser...

After re-launching the Steam version of Gunthro, the downloaded holds are available.
06-17-2019 at 10:40 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
pouzzler wrote:
Thanks everyone for all your answers.
I took another approach altogether : I asked and got a Steam refund, then bought Gunthro on Caravel, then could activate all my keys on Steam - kinda convoluted, but worked... just like a DROD level ;)
Groan...sorry for the trouble here. Wish this were not convoluted in this way. Thanks for taking the time to post updates, and I'm glad to hear it seems you have these things sorted out now!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-21-2019 at 03:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Recovering the game(s) installer
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com