Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : A Bold Note From Your HAs. (On submitting RPG Holds.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1721
IP: Logged
icon A Bold Note From Your HAs. (+10)  
Yes! It is at last time! Our efforts and strenuations have brought us forth to the point where we are now accepting challenges for valiant Stalwarts! That is to say, for those of you who are not well-educated in the proselytizing of Tueno’s finest, the HAs are now accepting level sets for submission!

Of course, as a Stalwart rushes directly into the maw of danger, there are certain routines that must be applied. I have heard tales once of a Stalwart who was perhaps not up to the average mental speed of all Stalwarts. He once forgot his cape before gallivanting towards peril, and the consequences of that epic epoch are too devastating for those of you who are not trained as Stalwarts to comprehend. (We have rules.)

This Stalwart once attempted to defeat a level set that was incomplete—the architect had not allowed him to leave the wretched place. Another time, while seeking to make certain that he had destroyed every potential danger, he was unable to do so. He also stayed at a fork for 3 days, debating which secret room to charge into. Charging does not occur after 3 days. Additionally, he could have returned at another point to further defeat all of our collective enemies. (Rule 1: Your level set must be conquerable. All secret rooms must be able to be reached, though not necessarily in the same run.)

This silly Stalwart once attempted to conquer a level set that had no way of indicating that he had even been there! I fail to see the point of this—why cut down a tree in the forest if nobody is around to hear the tremendous cracking and crashing that is sure to follow—why enter a level set if nobody can see the fantastic accomplishments that you have had there? (Rule 2: You must have at least one scoring checkpoint.)

I have also heard tale of one Beethro Budkin, self-described smitemaster. He is rumored to have rules of his own, though not rivaling the rules of the Stalwarts by any measure of distance you would like to choose. This is because the same gobbing rules that apply to Beethro are infinitely greater when they are the rules of the Stalwarts. (Rule 3: No profanity or copyrighted materials are allowed.)

And not all of this “Beethro”’s rules apply to Stalwarts. We do not need to look back into the past, even though we do that on occasion, in order to glorify ourselves and other Stalwarts as well. (Rule 4: Backtracking is not mandatory.)

We are also more complex than a mere smitemaster. The places where we will arrive are generally more complicated than those a smitemaster would choose to attempt. To return to the rumors of the Stalwart who would occasionally wear his underclothing above his overclothing, he had rushed into a hold that could not exist—it had contradictions inherent to itself. While aggressive, it was impossible for him to defeat this monstrosity due to the conditions imposed by the builder of the location. (Rule 5: Game-crashing scripting is a reason to send back the level set for more beta testing.)

I also recall a time in my own life when my mother had fed me the same lunchtime snack on two consecutive days. This is unacceptable for one who craves variety throughout his life! The second snack is so much harder to digest, as I have digested one already, and my body is built to tackle new things at all times. (Rule 6: Keep revisions during submission to a minimum—there’s a butterfly effect in RPG—small changes can make large changes later.)

Some Stalwarts like life easy, and wish to have their captain lead them by the cape. I am not one such, but I do recognize that it is sometimes better to follow than to lead—like when crossing a rotting bridge, or traversing a magma-encrusted field. (Rule 7: Written walkthroughs may be requested in place of victory demos.)

I have heard it told that the architects of these dangerous places—wait! Why don’t we attack the architects! That is, I must say a brilliant idea which I am glad I thought of. That way, they can not show their blueprints to anybody, or cause danger for non-Stalwarts. Ah, but then there would be no danger for Stalwarts. I see. I shall allow the architects to live, and show their blueprints to whomever they choose. (Rule 8: It’d be nice to have the level set be anyone-edit while going through the promotion process.)

Stalwarts are busy people. We can't be spending all of our time increasing our abilities. There are other places where we are necessary, and are needed! We do not allow ourselves to be in a place where we can increase our powers without endification! There shall be none of this infinibuffing! (Rule 9: No unbounded or theoretically infinite increase in scorable status.)

Of course, some Stalwarts, I won’t mention names, feel that these rules are not sufficient for the procedure. As some of them rank higher than I, I will acknowledge their experiences by keeping an open mind on my own restrictions. (Rule 10: These rules are subject to change.)

For at the point when Stalwarts have the ability to attempt the conquerage of a level set, there should be no discrepancies between the tales! I would, of course, make exception for a level set that sneakily outmaneuvered my rules, but I expect that to be a rare occurrence as this Stalwart is hardly outmaneuvered! (Rule 11: No resubmits to the Holds board, unless the HAs missed something.)

I am looking forward to the time when my travels bring me to a variety of challenging locations, where I can slay many monsters and defeat my enemies! (Start submitting, already!)

[Last edited by Schik at 09-08-2009 02:28 AM]
08-04-2009 at 04:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: A Bold Note From Your HAs. (0)  
Great news! Congrats on getting this up and running!

I've got one thing. Perhaps the HA's have already considered this, but--

I propose that when level sets are finalized and submitted, the level set ID is changed before they are actually published. We want to make sure that all players are starting anew and that all existing saves and demos are invalidated.

08-04-2009 at 06:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Oh my goodness, YES!

A possibly great day just turned even better. Not being able to submit was the only thing that stopped me from working on my, er, "Hold".

08-04-2009 at 06:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
zex20913 wrote:
I do recognize that it is sometimes better to follow than to lead—like when crossing a rotting bridge
Heh. Was the inappropriateness of this metaphor a deliberate way to hint at a Stalwart's valour, courage, bravado, and... lack of intelligence? :P

This would have to happen while my DROD:RPG isn't working, of course. Now I really have to hope I can find out what the problem is.

08-04-2009 at 11:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
RoboBob3000 wrote:
I propose that when level sets are finalized and submitted, the level set ID is changed before they are actually published. We want to make sure that all players are starting anew and that all existing saves and demos are invalidated.
Why do we want to do this?

If it matters, you don't get any extra points for getting a score before someone else in the RPG scores page.

08-04-2009 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Schik wrote:
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Why do we want to do this?

If it matters, you don't get any extra points for getting a score before someone else in the RPG scores page.
Maybe I'm making bad assumptions here or overthinking a problem that doesn't exist. I'm concerned about impossible scores. IMO, we don't want old beta saves to work on published level sets if there have been any changes at all during the architecture/beta/HA/release process. This might allow for a beta tester to reach an otherwise unachievable game state, which, depending on the situation, could affect high scores on a case-by-case basis.

If this is a possibility, I'd rather nip it in the bud - determining whether or not someone's score is the result of an unachievable state won't be an easy thing to do.

08-04-2009 at 07:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: A Bold Note From Your HAs. (+1)  
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Maybe I'm making bad assumptions here or overthinking a problem that doesn't exist. I'm concerned about impossible scores. IMO, we don't want old beta saves to work on published level sets if there have been any changes at all during the architecture/beta/HA/release process. This might allow for a beta tester to reach an otherwise unachievable game state, which, depending on the situation, could affect high scores on a case-by-case basis.
Well, each score should be replayed by the spider from scratch. If it doesn't work, it will be rejected. I don't *think* there's a problem here, but I can't be 100% sure.

08-04-2009 at 08:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Schik wrote:
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Well, each score should be replayed by the spider from scratch. If it doesn't work, it will be rejected. I don't *think* there's a problem here, but I can't be 100% sure.
Oh right, I was forgetting that part. I knew I was missing something big. Carry on. :twak

08-04-2009 at 08:42 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Schik wrote:
Well, each score should be replayed by the spider from scratch.
"Replayed" in the sense of "go through the hold from the start"? One problem that comes up occasionally in the regular DROD scores is a score that's perfectly legitimate within the room, but starts from an entrance that's no longer accessible before the room is conquered. I haven't any idea how RPG scores work, so there's a good chance this isn't a problem, but.
08-06-2009 at 02:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: A Bold Note From Your HAs. (+2)  
Tahnan wrote:
"Replayed" in the sense of "go through the hold from the start"? One problem that comes up occasionally in the regular DROD scores is a score that's perfectly legitimate within the room, but starts from an entrance that's no longer accessible before the room is conquered. I haven't any idea how RPG scores work, so there's a good chance this isn't a problem, but.
The RPG uploaded demos start at the beginning of the hold, so they shouldn't be vulnerable to the issues that DROD highscore demos are.

08-06-2009 at 06:40 PM
zex20913
Would this include a situation wherein a main entrance was changed during the testing process?

08-06-2009 at 07:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
zex20913 wrote:
Would this include a situation wherein a main entrance was changed during the testing process?
I made a fix recently so the demo validation *should* check that there is currently an entrance at the location where the demo begins (same in TCB for any level entrances). If this doesn't seem to be working presently, just let us know and the new code will be up before too long.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 08-22-2009 05:07 PM]
08-22-2009 at 05:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
In the original version, I think that rooms that were the same as another hold wouldn't be allowed. However, would that be the same with RPG? For example, if I have some rooms from about two of my holds in another hold of mine, would that be ok, or would I need to come up with new rooms? Because this time around, having rooms from another hold would make for a different challenge depending on the hold it's in.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 09-01-2009 10:35 PM]
09-01-2009 at 10:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
icon Re: A Bold Note From Your HAs. (+2)  
For those of you too lazy to scroll up, the new rule has to deal with a newfangled term called infinibuffing. This is, yes, the best word that we found to talk about the situation. And it sounds cool. It means infinitely buffing your status. And it is disallowed. Further questions should be addressed to a HA, if you have them.

[Last edited by zex20913 at 09-08-2009 04:34 AM]
09-08-2009 at 04:32 AM
zex20913
There is to be a slight rule change shortly. Rule 1 will soon say

(Rule 1: Your level set must be conquerable. All rooms (even secret ones!) must be able to be reached, though not necessarily in the same run.)

This allows for 100% exploration status, and saves tremendous amounts of gamespace. Moreso the first reason than the second.

The reason that it is not currently implemented is that there is a level set being considered for promotion that currently has grandfather privelege, and also caused this flaw to be discovered. We're trying to iron that out without forcing it.

04-12-2010 at 09:48 PM
The Stew Boy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 247
Yep, will fix that in my hold soon.
What's 'grandfather privilege'?
04-12-2010 at 11:43 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
It's a term for something being allowed despite the rules because it was there before the rules.

04-12-2010 at 11:49 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : A Bold Note From Your HAs. (On submitting RPG Holds.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com