Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Trapoe (Adventure, Varying difficulty)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

6.6/10 (21 votes)
σ 2.38
Author Name:Skell
Submitted By:skell
Hold Name:Trapoe
Theme:Adventure, Varying difficulty
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:9
Number of Rooms:56
Number of Monsters:1432
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:10 (+10 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Trapoe.hold (54.3 KB)
Downloaded 913 times.
License: Other
icon Trapoe  
Not much to say... Please play and enjoy!
06-20-2009 at 12:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: Trapoe (+1)  
Here's a very nice debut hold from Skell. :)

It's based around a short, quirky story with a fun twist, and scripted story events control the player's ability to progress from one puzzle level to the next. So, yes, this time you have to pay attention to the story.

The puzzles themselves are traditional DROD, with an emphasis on horde management. My favorite rooms are Chapter 3 1N, Chapter 4 1N1W (tricky!), and Chapter 8 1W.
06-20-2009 at 12:34 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Trapoe (0)  
whoa, skell completed this thing? It's been in his sig forever.

... *downloads hopefully*

[Last edited by Jatopian at 06-20-2009 05:27 AM]
06-20-2009 at 05:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
And, conquered. (Still a secret room to go.) This is a really nice hold; not too hard by and large, but I never found it boring, perhaps due to a notable mix of puzzle types (brained snakes; brained roaches; roaches and waterskippers; waterskippers and platforms....). There weren't any puzzles, I don't think, that made me say "Wow, fantastic", but neither did anything make me roll my eyes. (At worst, if there was something I wasn't enjoying, at least I didn't have to face ten variations on the theme.)

A few rooms were much harder, I thought, than the others--"brained golems on orthosquares" makes the list, and there's one room with a lot of queens and waterskipper nests and very little land to walk on, that took a lot of trial-and-error just to find the right entrance. Certainly I got through them, but they did push the difficulty level up a little.

Puzzles aside, I really enjoyed the plot. And the scrolls in the laboratory were priceless.
06-20-2009 at 01:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Conquered.

This hold is good. Really good. :thumbsup

All of rooms were nice, but there were some which I liked more than others. They are:

Click here to view the secret text

Other puzzles were fun, too. :smile

Oh, and I liked that they were almost always different.

Overall, I give this hold 5 brains(while most of rooms were easy, there were some which stumped me for a while) and 8 for fun.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 06-22-2009 01:38 AM]
06-20-2009 at 11:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
fratropea
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
WOW!!! Hold very nice! :thumbsup
I really enjoyed both the plot and the puzzles!
GOOD JOB!

I give 6 brains and 8 for fun ;)

[Last edited by fratropea at 06-23-2009 11:58 PM]
06-23-2009 at 11:56 PM
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
This is a decent hold. Puzzles are mainly of the horde variety but there's nothing too bad here (notable exception for chapter 6 1E & one of the post-mastery rooms). I thought the story was good and made me laugh on occasion, I also like the way scripting is used to move between the levels as it makes a change from stairs and give this an almost RPG type feel due to the travelling back and forth to revisit previously unavailable areas.

Nothing here is particularly taxing and if you're comfortable with horde puzzles you should enjoy it.

Difficulty: 6
Fun: 7

Progress - Gavin G
07-29-2015 at 11:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Trapoe (Adventure, Varying difficulty) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com