Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Eighth Needs You! (Because someone's got to fix it when the orbs stop working.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon The Eighth Needs You! (+2)  
That's right; I'm looking at you! Do you have what it takes to keep the Eighth running like clockwork? Could you be the creator of the next evil monsters to plague the Beneath? Would you like to be a developer on the Caravel team?

Of course you do! :yes

Now that the Forum seems to be perking up a bit and the SmS has been released, Mike (mrimer) is interested in recruiting people onto the Caravel development team. If you can program, would like to contribute in some way to developing future Caravel products and are interested in volunteering, then we'd definitely like to hear from you.

Benefits may include:
- Working on the latest DROD or other Caravel products;
- Gaining some experience as part of an indie development team;
- Having the ability to make the rest of us dribble at strategic pre-announcements;
- Exclusive access to the top-secret research facilities in Erik's basement.

Of course, DROD is quite complicated, so having a reasonable level of programming skill is recommended, as well as self-motivation to work on tasks you may be assigned. And, according to Mike:

We can discuss compensation if you're seriously interested in helping with project deliverables.

If you're interested, simply post a reply here to describe what computing languages you know, maybe a bit about your previous coding experience and what sort of things you might like to work on. Mike will get back to you at some point if he's interested in recruiting you.

And of course, even if you don't want to be on the development team, you can still help out by posting your work on the Development board.

Finally, I'd just like to make it clear that we're looking for developers (i.e. programmers), and not beta-testers. Please don't post here if you just want to help out in play-testing; Mike will pick people or post a separate recruitment call later on when we actually have something to test!

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 04-30-2009 06:56 PM : Oops. Missed a paragraph]
04-30-2009 at 06:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3757
icon Re: The Eighth Needs You! (+2)  
Yay, I can brag about how great I am! :D

Well, I actually wanted to come up with an initiative around end of May. I am about to have Matura (wiki link) which in essence is after-highschool exam determining which Universities will be interested in considering my application.

But since there is a topic already let me tell some stuff about my experience:
I am a games developer with a good 5 or more years of experience in the field, but only around 2-3 years of semi-professional. The languages (and not only) I know:
*Actionscript 3.0, especially when working with Flex Builder or Flex SDK, though Flash apps are possibility too - ~1.5 year. Examples of works: Galagian, Squario and built on the same engine Mario Forever Flash
*BlitzMax, around two years of experience, but 1/2 of the time are just seldom poking around, no projects to show (yet)
*Game Maker - around 4 years of experience. I actually got so far engulfed in it, that I successfully tried to accomplish many things that almost seemed to be impossible to me :). Games page - Linx, Happy Runner 1/2, Qualifier, Logical Pack 1 and Kulkis II
*And before these three it was MMF, TGF and KnP which I don't remember anymore (thank goodness and other great things :D)

Besides I also sparsely know:
*Enough of C++ to be able to compile simpler scripts to BlitzMax, which means basic syntax and nothing else.
*Free Pascal - I actually HAVE to know it pretty good by May 21 :P.
*PHP & MySQL. Generally I went as far as making 10% of Browser RPG engine code. I would make it all, but I realized I HAVE to learn Java Script to make quicker and easier battles, and I was not able to make the windows work both in FF and IE so I gave up on it.
*DROD Scripting - well, I think I am above average with my skills here... :)

I am usually pretty self-sufficient. I do all the coding and designing myself (though I am always open to suggestions and critique), if the graphics are simple I can make them myself, I get music from freeware sources, sound effects too. I always have more ideas than time :D.

I have barely any Team-work and working on ready code experience... But on the other side I am addicted speedcoder :).

That would be it for now I guess. *wonders if he is not making a fool of himself*

[Last edited by skell at 01-29-2012 08:20 PM : Going to the keep]
04-30-2009 at 07:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1235
icon Re: The Eighth Needs You! (0)  
I have already discussed most of this with Mike in private, so I'm not going to post any info here.

[Last edited by slimm tom at 04-30-2009 08:32 PM]
04-30-2009 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
icon Re: The Eighth Needs You! (+1)  
Alright, let's give it a shot.

I am a programmer with a sizeable amount of knowledge in algorithms (i.e. I have medals from IOI). I have been coding for about 3 years now and I have a good knowledge of C/C++ and Python (OOP included). I wasn't involved with any professional projects yet, but I've been working on some of my own projects (like the fractal viewer I posted). The libraries I worked with include Qt and a little .NET. Altough, I don't have any experience with SDL, but I am usually quick to learn. I am open to any constructive criticism and keen on fixing my mistakes. I also tend to write clean code :)

Sorry for brevity, usually I don't have much to say...

[Last edited by eb0ny at 05-01-2009 07:34 AM]
05-01-2009 at 07:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
I know INTERCAL, BF, and Whirl at an above-average level, just in case you need those. I doubt it though.

05-01-2009 at 08:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Architest
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 255
Well,lack of stuff,but I try. :)

I am been in 2 Indies for now. DDNN,who sadly finished itself after 2 years work. And now,Flow Arcade. I've been working on Game Maker 7 for 3 years,and still,I got only novice talents. Heh. But I got games made. Here's link for two ones that are still available : http://www.yoyogames.com/members/Nitromatic

Just simply,3 years GML and 2 years Indie life. :w00t Just enjoyable,isn't it?

PS : Of course I know,DROD isn't GML. ;)

[Last edited by The Architest at 05-03-2009 06:37 PM]
05-01-2009 at 10:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Well, my day job IS full-time programming, so I'm actually a bit reluctant to also write software in my spare time, but it does happen... :)

I started out on an ATARI 800 writing BASIC programs at a young age, then migrated to an Atari ST and GFA BASIC, then later did some Pascal on it (through high school) before getting my first PC and moving to Turbo Pascal and MASM, and some more time later Turbo C and C++ as well as GCC.

During my studies (still ongoing due to work and procrastination) I went on to Oberon (another Pascal dialect, which is why I now hate anything with Pascal syntax with a passion), Java and C#.

At work I'm currently mainly doing intranet web development in ASP.Net, C#, MSSQL and lately SharePoint, but with a side order of assorted other applications and libraries - among them a graphics and chart framework with dynamic layout and PDF and GDI+ backends, RTF and DBase readers and a lot of Windows services to keep data from other data sources flowing into our backend databases.

As far as personal (and open source) projects are concerned, I've written two deinterlacing filters for AviSynth and contributed most of the current code of ffdshow's AviSynth wrapper as well as it's user interface-scaling code for translations that need a bit more space.

np: David Sylvian & Robert Fripp - Brightness Falls (Damage)

05-01-2009 at 11:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I have a B.Sc. in Computer Sciences and it's the field I'm working in. Can't say I work with a lot of languages, it's basically C++ all the way, and I also know Java pretty well.

05-02-2009 at 08:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Samuel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 69
I am something of an expert at programming simple games (with GameMaker 7). I am terrific at creating stories.
Two qualities that could go far with me and Caravel? -_-

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
05-02-2009 at 08:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1235
I'm afraid DROD is not programmed in GML. ;)
05-02-2009 at 10:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Samuel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 69
Right... I knew that O:-

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
05-02-2009 at 10:35 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Similar to Briareos, I program for a living, started with Basic personal code, then Pascal and then many years of C (not on a professional level though).

Since then I've been working with most databases (Mysql, MSSQL, postgresql, Oracle and Progress) and my language of choice has been Java for the last 6 years.
05-02-2009 at 11:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Eighth Needs You! (Because someone's got to fix it when the orbs stop working.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com