Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Hints and Solutions : walkthroughs (anyone?)
Page 1 of 2
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
deftriver
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75
IP: Logged
icon walkthroughs (0)  
Just wondering if anyone is working on walkthroughs for score, health, greckles, etc. for any of the holds, but in particular Tendry's Tale.
10-06-2008 at 03:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mechadragon
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
icon Re: walkthroughs (0)  
What's the incentive to using a walkthrough in a game like this? In a game with action or real-time elements then using a walkthrough tells you what to do but won't do it for you; you still get the satisfaction of pulling it all off. A walkthrough for this game would be just something to follow through word-for-word.

I could set a general set of tips maybe; I think that would be preferable. Tell the user the kinds of things a solution for the hold would have then allow them the satisfaction of pulling it all off.
10-06-2008 at 03:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
It's like asking what's the point in looking at high-score demos once you've beaten a room in real drod. Playing the game for yourself at your own level is fun, but so is seeing how the really talented people blew the game out of the water.

(In other words, I'd also really like to see an optimal (or even optimish) walkthrough.)
10-06-2008 at 05:26 AM
Timo006
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 518
icon Re: walkthroughs (+1)  
What I've been having is that I'm unsure whether my stats are high enough, that I haven't used the machine too much etc. Personally I'd like to have some data about recommended stats, optimised stats, recommended amount of machine usages and optimised amount of machine usages.

10-09-2008 at 08:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
I'm thinking of making a LP of DROD RPG, in the style of Malefact's TotS LP, here. Gotta need to pick up a Mic first though.
10-10-2008 at 02:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
Y'know, I would like a walkthrough as well... room-by-room H&S just doesn't seem to work very well for a game like this. Maybe do it like those old Invisiclues that came with Infocom games and make you reveal hints for each level first, then a step at a time of a walkthrough.

11-09-2008 at 12:14 AM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
If I haven't mastered the hold already (easy mode), I would appreciate a walkthrough which gives you a tactical guide and general tips for each level and some important rooms. I would find it terrible boring to have something like "Kill spider at 2:6, pick up defense gem at 7:5 and then open the Greckle gate. You should have 2578 HP and 123 DEF by now.".
11-09-2008 at 11:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4590
OK, now I've finished the first half I'll see if I can write my own walkthrough for it :) I haven't found all the secrets, so others may have to add to this. If anyone has any additions or corrections, please post them and I'll add them!

Firstly, don't try to complete the game on your first go through; first play to know where all the secrets are, particularly weapon and armour upgrades, and then go back and solve the levels optimally.

The HP targets given will allow you to get through all seven Rules without ever having to restrategise based on looking for more HP before beating a monster, and you will just have enough to beat the Rock Giant at the end. However, I don't claim that these are optimal targets.

I've not given greckle targets because you should be overflowing with them -- the only place they will ever be a problem is if you attempt Rule 8.

Click here to view the secret text
11-09-2008 at 04:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Publishing a walkthrough with general strategy and target stats is a great idea. :thumbsup

Micro-optimization: Regarding Rule 1, I'm tending to believe that

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-09-2008 09:11 PM]
11-09-2008 at 09:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
mrimer wrote:
Publishing a walkthrough with general strategy and target stats is a great idea. :thumbsup

Micro-optimization: Regarding Rule 1, I'm tending to believe that

Nuntar wrote:
Another optimisation point, only applicable to those who wish to attempt Rule 8:

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 11-09-2008 09:59 PM]
11-09-2008 at 09:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
And now, at last it's time for the walkthrough of Part 2!

I'll post this a bit at a time as I play through it for the second time, so that I don't forget anything. Please note that this walkthrough makes no pretence to being optimal; it's just one of many routes that succeeds in getting through the game.

I haven't given targets for number of green keys, as I spend them so rarely that I haven't been picking them up until I actually need them.

General strategy points:

Tactics:

Homeland:

Goblin Tribe:

No-man's Land:

Pirate Lair:

[Last edited by Nuntar at 11-17-2008 03:55 PM]
11-16-2008 at 10:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
Reaching the Longsword:

Pirate Lair, part two:

Preservation of Tueno:

Endgame:

[Last edited by Nuntar at 11-17-2008 11:25 PM]
11-17-2008 at 01:32 PM
BDR
Rank Points: 106
Nuntar wrote:

03-20-2009 at 08:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar

03-25-2009 at 08:07 PM
BDR
Rank Points: 106
Nuntar wrote:

Thanks! Can't believe I missed that. :)
03-26-2009 at 02:54 AM
cainau
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Nuntar wrote:

07-01-2009 at 01:43 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
The right direction is

07-01-2009 at 02:15 PM
minimike98
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 1
OK can sameond uplaod the way to do first part of tendrys tame the hole thing all the rules to rule 1 to rule 8
09-12-2009 at 09:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
How would they do that? Demo's don't work in DROD RPG.
09-12-2009 at 09:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nuntar
More to the point, why would anyone bother? Helping someone with a puzzle is one thing, but if we tell you how to get through an entire hold, then how can you get any pleasure out of playing it?

(If you want to get through the first part just so you can look at the more interesting second half, there is a shortcut directly to Homeland right near the beginning of Rule 1.)

09-13-2009 at 10:34 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: walkthroughs (+2)  
Well, they could just want to see all the plot and stuff. I know this is an idea foreign to many here at Caravel, but some people like plot and other things that aren't pure gameplay.

09-14-2009 at 02:40 AM
Fang
Rank Points: 175
I see a game different from a movie; the plot isn't already yours, you must earn it by reaching a certain point. Or you can go to gamefaqs and get spoiled, though I personally wouldn't like doing that.

That said, there's no guide through RPG as much as there's none through TCB. There are demos, but there's not one for every room if I recall correctly, and by following them step by step you do nothing but the same thing someone else already did. If you get a fifth place tie for doing so, you should even feel bad since you've stolen someone else's "spot" since it technically wasn't yours, but the demo uploader's, to begin with. All of that in your quest for plot. You can either play through like intended, get stuck and get help for specific parts, or cheat through and wrack everything on your way without caring. Which one sounds better?

09-14-2009 at 02:53 AM
Jatopian
Well good for you Nuntar, but if you'll reread my post you'll note that I said "many" and not "all".
Fang wrote:
I see a game different from a movie; the plot isn't already yours, you must earn it by reaching a certain point. Or you can go to gamefaqs and get spoiled, though I personally wouldn't like doing that.
I see a game as something intended for having fun.

09-14-2009 at 04:15 PM
Fang
Jatopian wrote:
I see a game as something intended for having fun.

I see a movie as something intended for having fun. However, there is still a difference between both. Odds are if you don't like the game you might not like the plot either;
if you like the game but hate the plot then you don't need a walkthrough, you just don't pay attention to the plot;
if you like the plot but hate the game then go check on gamefaqs or any good site that can spoil you without you playing;
and if you hate the game and the plot then why bother with anything?

Obviously if you love the game and the plot then you know you'll get further in the game since you keep playing. There's no such thing as hard if you commit the time and effort.

09-14-2009 at 09:53 PM
Jatopian
Fang wrote:
I see a movie as something intended for having fun. However, there is still a difference between both. Odds are if you don't like the game you might not like the plot either;
Ah, but the people who don't conform to those odds are hardly statistical outliers.
if you like the plot but hate the game then go check on gamefaqs or any good site that can spoil you without you playing;
Oh, but that's often so insufficient! Video games are a more complicated medium than mere text, and contain nuances mere text cannot. The drama of a dramatic reveal, the timing of a joke, general overtones and undertones will all be lost. Furthermore, the quality of a spoiler text will be lower than that of a decent game, and it is unlikely to cover all the information one might want.

Anyway, your mindset that people should have to earn things from their game that they bought to have fun if they don't want to is an ugly throwback to the NES era and I condemn it. With italics.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 09-15-2009 12:53 AM]
09-15-2009 at 12:51 AM
Fang
Jatopian wrote:
bought

Why buy a game if you dislike it?

If Gamefaqs or related sites aren't enough, usually there's an article on Wikipedia too which will explain every nook and cranny, then there's more than likely a lot of other sites which make assumptions on the story as well. You can't even get the real plot unless the maker of the game explains in every little detail what s/he wished to do with it.

09-15-2009 at 11:40 AM
Jatopian
That's all very nice in your fantasy world, but in this case sometimes people buy games without looking, or buy them in the expectation of only partly enjoying them. Who are you to question them, when you can't even address all the points I've put to you?

09-15-2009 at 05:56 PM
Fang
icon Re: walkthroughs (-2)  
If they buy games without looking and they don't enjoy them, then that's their fault for not looking. For DROD RPG, there is a demo; if you don't like it then don't buy it. That's actually why the demo exists.

This argument will lead nowhere anyway, because no matter what happens, you have to take into account that unlike DROD, RPG holds are one puzzle instead of room-by-room. A walkthrough won't help you get past the entire hold unless someone feels dedicated enough to do so, and it probably won't even give you the story, since it will focus on walking you through, as the name implies. If you want to know the story, at least for RPG, you have to play the game or ask someone who wouldn't mind revealing the entire thing. I would mind.

As stated at the beginning of the earlier lines, this is leading nowhere and is probably offtopic since a lot of posts earlier. I don't really care about taking care of each and every of your points because it's not worth the trouble. So I'm done and if someone wants to make a walkthrough, go ahead, but I strongly doubt anyone will ever do it, and if they do, as stated, it won't even speak of the story. You can't know the plot if you read "3S2E, take the red gem then go to 1N2W to kill the spider and take the key".

09-15-2009 at 09:28 PM
Jatopian
Wow, is it really not obvious to you? If they're following a walkthrough, they'll see the story as they play through the game, just as they would if they weren't following given steps.

09-15-2009 at 09:36 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Is it possible for some Caravel admins to move the off-topic posts to somewhere else?

I don't think it would help Caravel or people who are looking for hints to see this thread.

(I don't mind the discussion, but I don't think H&S is the ideal place to discuss them. Something for the General Board perhaps? or Anything.)

09-15-2009 at 10:58 PM
Page 1 of 2
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Hints and Solutions : walkthroughs (anyone?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com