Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How did you find out about DROD? (A DROD realted question)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Samuel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 69
IP: Logged
icon How did you find out about DROD? (+1)  
I'm just wandering how did everybody find out about DROD.
I found out about while i was checking out the inide games on PC Power Player Issue 138. I saw DROD: Journery to Rooted Hold. I played a bit of it and thought it was really cool. So i went on google and typed in DROD and i found this website. Thats how i got into DROD. How did you get into DROD?

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
12-17-2007 at 09:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: How did you find out about DROD? (+1)  
I got into DROD back in the days before AE was released, around 2003 or so. A friend of mine recommended it to me, one of the IRC channels I frequent was talking about it a lot. Several of us were playing through and helping each other. I lost interest around Level 15. I got back into it again in 2005, then lost interest again. But then really got into it again properly in 2007. Finished KDD, JtRH and TCB :)

12-17-2007 at 12:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
I found it (DROD:AE) on a compilation CD. This is almost 3 years ago now. I found it an interesting game and searched for new holds on the internet and viola, I was a member of this forum.
12-17-2007 at 01:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
On my old Pentium 2 I was wondering around the-underdogs.info several years ago and accidentally stumbled upon DROD. Best random encounter so far :)

12-17-2007 at 05:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
My aunt gave me DROD:AE on a CD for my birthday, about 3 years ago. When I finished it, I looked to see if I could get more holds online, and I found the forum.
12-17-2007 at 07:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pekka
Rank Points: 302
This article on Jayisgames.com introduced the game to me. I don't remember much from trying the JtRH demo first time around, but when I found the complete free version a little later (AE of course), I took to playing regularly. Wanting to complete a whole game is a good motivator.

The posting is dated October 30, 2006, and I finished AE (with some Hints & Solutions to help) by the end of 2006. Since then I've occasionally played DROD a lot (thanks to all hold architects whose work I've enjoyed!), and occasionally put it completely away for some time. Right now I play very little, but I expect that the next time my DROD batteries recharge to 100%, I'll dive in to the full version of JtRH.
12-17-2007 at 07:25 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
icon Re: How did you find out about DROD? (0)  
I said how I found out about DROD in this post here.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

12-17-2007 at 07:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Garlonuss
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 275
AlefBet is my brother, so I started playing Webfoot DROD years ago, shortly after he was introduced to it by mrimer.

(This was before AlefBet became as involved in development as he currently is.)

Gotta say that Webfoot DROD is a very different beast merely for the lack of checkpoints and one move undo. Uber difference.

12-17-2007 at 10:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
My dad gave it to me when I seemed to like it. I saw the forums once, but didn't return until about three months ago. And I noticed it had really changed since then. So I joined the forums, got TCB, and here I am now!

12-17-2007 at 10:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Original thread, with my post. Long story short, found Webfoot on that shareware games CD, tried to order but they'd stopped selling, rediscovered on a lark a few years ago, and Erik is awesome.

12-17-2007 at 11:32 PM
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
Jatopian wrote: and Erik is awesome.
Well, you do understand that Erik has always been awesome.

12-18-2007 at 03:50 AM
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
I've been playing DROD since the release of Webfoot. Of course I had no idea how to play it back then, but a couple years later, I found the disc again and started playing it. Anyway, after completing the first three levels of KDD, I searched it into google, and I kept on coming to this site, thinking I had the wrong place. So I registered here to check if anyone knew about the original DROD, and the rest is history.

12-20-2007 at 12:50 PM
cheese obsessive
Rank Points: 219
Back in 2003 when I had an ancient, ancient laptop (Pentium II, 6GB HD, 128MB of RAM...) hardly any recently released games would work on my laptop, so I just downloaded as many old games as I could from HOTU, as most of them worked. DROD was one of those games, and I've been addicted ever since.
12-20-2007 at 08:07 PM
Bobpie
Rank Points: 54
Snacko introduced me to DROD...well that's my story...want a cookie?

12-20-2007 at 10:03 PM
Insane
Rank Points: 154
My brother showed me AE, and I was hooked.
When JtRH was released, I was hooked, although I never came round to forcingasking my mother to buy it, I was hooked on the demo and custom levels.

When TCB was released, I was insta-hooked, and I actually...um... stole it not soon after. I'm still trying to force my mother to actually buy it, though.

-Insane
01-01-2008 at 06:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
burrs
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 5
I found DROD: Journery to Rooted Hold in a mac format book and played it for awhile and got hooked at once I LOVE DROD THE CITY BENEATH!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup

01-06-2008 at 01:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Anson
Rank Points: 67
Well it began with wonderland, then it transformed into greed, then it went to this:
When i was very young, i decided to be sneaky and download millions of games. I did. i downloaded "Wonderland: Secret worlds" and played it.
I then found its forums, and signed up for "Midnight post".
One of them was DROD: JOURNEY TO ROOTED HOLD
So i decided "Meh, i dont like this" and started playing other games on arcade town.
1 year later, i went to arcade town again, and found Journey to rooted hold.
I didnt remember it, so i played it.
I was so glad. I got greedy and wanted a full version i searched up "DROD: Journey to rooted hold free" and it came up with Demo's.
One of them was in DROD.NET
So i downloaded it (again)
and found it was another fake.
But i saw "Forums" and clicked on it. I was a little fightened,
i saw "contests" and clicked on it, i saw how nice you were all and joined, hoping to never tell you i got banned in another forum.
And i ended up like this. That is my story

Please, I admire Guthix, I solve problems, I fix rules too. I used to be a Scoundril, Complaining about the forums, But now i changed.

01-06-2008 at 09:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
icon Re: How did you find out about DROD? (+2)  
The year was 1938, a time when men where men, sand was sand and all of the other obvious things that can be said about any time period.

In 1938, something was missing. The idea of swords had long since dropped from popularity. The sword was dead, we needed a miracle. We needed something mind-blowing. We needed a Really Big Sword (tm).

So we waited, sometime after this, I was born.

I had a fairly normal childhood, my mother stayed at home while my father worked. When I was 12 my mother went back to working in a far less physically strenuous occupation than her old one.

Like every other kid with an N64 and a copy of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, I wanted to learn to use a sword properly. I tried out fencing.

I was stunned. Rather than actually just pressing an arbitraty button there was an array of parries, lunges and slashes. I needed a good representation of this, so I went looking.

Of course, I didn't have much of a concept of money, it was essentially that if something costed a penny it would be a hell of a lot harder to get than if it were free. I went to Home of the Underdogs.

I searched and searched but then finally decided to use the Hall of Belated Fame. I established a system, if something had a sequel listed in a similar Hall of Fame, it was worth trying. I found such a set.

I clicked on both (using Firefox's brilliant mouse wheel tab system), one cost money, the other didn't. I downloaded the one that didn't cost money.

I say down and adjusted the very strange control scheme, you actually used the number pad to move while another pair of functions rotated your sword 45 degrees. Brilliant. I was hooked and finished the Architect's Edition. I bought JtRH after finishing the demo.

Then I tried my first user-made hold.

This changed everything, I no longer had an excuse to stop playing. Not that I didn't do anything else, my sessions rarely lasted more than a few rooms, but I still sit down and play this brilliant game at least once a week. This has been going on for two years.

01-09-2008 at 06:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Malorie
Rank Points: 63
I only downloaded the game last night, and I honestly can't remember how I ended up doing so!

I've kept hearing the title 'Deadly Rooms of Death' for a year or two though when looking for puzzle games and such... it's the kind of name that gets stuck in your head... but I never looked into it until now!

I think some random videogame page reminded me of the title, and I searched for it on wikipedia and found the link to this website. ^^

01-10-2008 at 09:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jutt
Rank Points: 863
I believe I first found a DROD article on mathpuzzle.com (excellent site) some years ago. That led me to here and I found Architects Edition which I spent the next months on playing. I sort of ignored the forum though, and when I finished AE and had played a bit with the editor, I forgot about the game.
It was last year I decided to rediscover DROD, refound my way to the site and registered in the forum.

01-10-2008 at 11:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nosdrah Circtrebla
Rank Points: 30
I think I ran across it quite a few years ago. I think I saw something about it on an old Bulltin Board site, and I downloaded it. Played it for a while and just re-discovered it again about 5 years ago.

01-10-2008 at 06:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skinsmen
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26
Growing up I always used to be encouraged by my mom to do good on tests by her promise she would take me to the local dollar store and buy me a $2 shareware game disk published by Atanak Software, if I got above a certain percentage. One day I just happened to grab a disk of Webfoot's version of Drod off the rotating rack. Don't know why, I just thought it looked interesting with the old little Beethro head looking back at me from the screenshot.
Anyway, I never really got into it to begin with. Maybe I didn't have the attention to grasp the concepts.
Years later cleaning up a ton of old stuff I stumble upon my cache of some 30 floppy disks containing first episodes of old games. I threw alot out but I'm like hey I remember this game!
I wonder if I can find it online, maybe someone has it for download. So I type into google...
;)

[Last edited by skinsmen at 01-18-2008 08:05 AM]
01-18-2008 at 08:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
kolbesag
Rank Points: 34

File: TLOU2 v-animated-00088.png (1.2 MB)
Downloaded 87 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: How did you find out about DROD? (+4)  
Well a while back 4chan was making fun the The Last of Us 2 by redrawing scenes with all manner of references. I somehow got a hold of the folder with all the images and it was fun seeing how many obscure references you were able to recognize. There the one made about DROD always piqued my curiosity with these really different character designs and top down grid game play.

Eventually on a whim I reversed imaged searched Beethro's face and since then have completely fell down the rabbit hole of everything DROD.
So yeah whoever drew that drawing thanks alot :thumbup2:.
02-15-2021 at 02:34 PM
Trafalgar
Rank Points: 31
icon Re: How did you find out about DROD? (+4)  
My brother introduced me to it back in 2014, I was intrigued to play it. Then years later, I forgot about it until I asked my brother what game did we played back then. He reminded me it's Drod King Dugan's Dungeon, so I bought the full version online via Stream.

03-20-2021 at 02:38 PM
Professor Tio
Rank Points: 100
icon Re: How did you find out about DROD? (+3)  
A little late to this topic, but I initially discovered this series a few years back (when Google+ was still a thing) through KDDL on the site Retrocade.net. I think what drew me in was a mixture of the puzzles and also something almost certainly unintended - I was making a fair number of comparisons to the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series early on, and honestly I still kinda hold them in my heart, somewhat.

04-18-2021 at 12:54 AM
Casebier
Rank Points: 283
I think I found DROD while searching Home of the Underdogs for old games to play.

04-22-2021 at 02:35 AM
OdiePie
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
My brother found DROD: Architects' Edition in a games compilation CD in 2007; he introduced it to me later on and we both found it really fun. The rest is history... ;)

My Magistream Keep (click the eggs here first!)

(\__/)
{='.'=} This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(“)_(”) signature to help Bunny gain world domination.
05-06-2021 at 05:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
surrealcanine
Rank Points: 139
I discovered DROD in 2018 while reading through ZenoRogue's blog post on the inspirations for his non-euclidean roguelike, HyperRogue. For some reason or another, I was extremely curious as to what the Seep were, and spent a few hours browsing the available lore on Caravel's site. I then decided I wanted to learn everything about the Eighth, and set out on a years-long quest to initiate the Grand Event and finally stop those pesky abovegrounders from- actually, all I really did was play through the official holds and browse some old lore-related forum topics.

Curiously enough, I discovered SubTerra significantly earlier, probably around 2012 or 2013, and if I had stopped to peek around a bit, I could have discovered DROD that much sooner.

[Last edited by surrealcanine at 07-20-2021 12:00 AM]
07-20-2021 at 12:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How did you find out about DROD? (A DROD realted question)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com