Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Media of the Eighth - Poll (A multiple question poll)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
RankEntryAverageStandard Deviation
1Techant's "Under World" deserves a...7.57894736842112.255187924803
2Calamarain's "Morningmail" deserves a...7.47368421052631.956592662678
3Stephen4Louise's "Tattler" deserves a...7.05263157894742.1636636622205
4Anson's "Daily Eight" deserves a...4.78947368421052.5252190601885
Anson's "Daily Eight" deserves a...
Average Vote 4.7894736842105
Standard Deviation 2.5252190601885

Stephen4Louise's "Tattler" deserves a...
Average Vote 7.0526315789474
Standard Deviation 2.1636636622205

Techant's "Under World" deserves a...
Average Vote 7.5789473684211
Standard Deviation 2.255187924803

Calamarain's "Morningmail" deserves a...
Average Vote 7.4736842105263
Standard Deviation 1.956592662678
Total Votes 22 100%
Poster Message
MeckMeck GRE
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 594
IP: Logged
icon The Media of the Eighth - Poll (0)  
This is the poll for the official contest of november 2007. Please rate the entries based on your general impression and on their originality. Techant's Entry can be found here. The other three entries are attached to the posts below.

[Last edited by MeckMeck GRE at 11-25-2007 06:00 PM]
11-25-2007 at 04:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE

File: Daily Eighth.JPG (113 KB)
Downloaded 77 times.
License: Other
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth - Poll (0)  
Here comes Anson's "Daily Eighth"

[Last edited by MeckMeck GRE at 11-25-2007 05:22 PM]
11-25-2007 at 04:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE

File: tattler.pdf (115.8 KB)
Downloaded 74 times.
Here comes Stephen4Louise's "Tattler"

11-25-2007 at 04:12 PM
MeckMeck GRE

File: morningmail.pdf (248.6 KB)
Downloaded 69 times.
Last but not least: Calamarain's "Morning Mail"

11-25-2007 at 04:13 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth - Poll (+1)  
Eighth

I'm rather curious about techant's entry. It looks as though it should have multiple pages, but on closer inspection perhaps not. I also haven't figured out #2 of the puzzle at the bottom.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 11-25-2007 05:21 PM]
11-25-2007 at 04:58 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
icon Re: The Media of the Eight - Poll (0)  
It's going to be rather difficult for us to vote on techant's "Under World" if the file isn't attached somewhere.

11-25-2007 at 05:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: The Media of the Eight - Poll (+1)  
Chaco wrote:
It's going to be rather difficult for us to vote on techant's "Under World" if the file isn't attached somewhere.
It's in the very first post - it's a website.

11-25-2007 at 05:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Jatopian wrote:
I'm rather curious about techant's entry. It looks as though it should have multiple pages, but on closer inspection perhaps not.
Considering that they were only required to submit a front page, I think that it is intentional.
11-26-2007 at 05:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Comments

Daily Eight: Most of the other entries went for the realistic and relatively mundane. To Anson's credit, he took it to the other extreme and had fires, massacres and revolution. Although I found the priority odd, I mean, is an expansion to king Dugandy's empire and the pillaging of nearby nations only second to the daily puzzle? The art and the writing also let it down. 4

Tattler: Very strong resemblance to the onion, although they've always been a little too dry for my tastes. Although I have to ask, would a newspaper really only have one story? 6

Morning Mail: What was with the pictures? I mean, they were nicely rendered and all, but I couldn't see much resemblance to the story. Other than that, it was nicely presented, although the stories weren't all that interesting.6

Underworld: Nice design, and the puzzle was rather clever (and original), but I have to ask. Would a newspaper really be designed like that? 7

11-26-2007 at 06:10 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
First:
On the submissions post I did submit both a zip file of the HTML with css and graphics and a link to the page online. I did think most would like it better if they could just click a link and view the page, rather than downloading, unzipping and then figuring out which one to click to view the page.

As I had a site I could load the page on I decided to do it. MeckMeck GRE in his wisdom, to elimate confusion chose to just post the link which I supported whole heartedly. :yes

Second
NiroZ wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
I'm rather curious about techant's entry. It looks as though it should have multiple pages, but on closer inspection perhaps not.
Considering that they were only required to submit a front page, I think that it is intentional.

Yes that is intentional.... :D Although I had to stop myself from building all the pages, I was having such fun.

Third
#2. If you could - which square would you want to start from if your sword started like the one shown? 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8.
The one shown has the sword facing "west". See the graphic above the puzzle of Beethro holding the sword. He is facing west. So which square would you want to enter on if your sword had to face west. Now typing this I realize that I could have just said that. :blush

Fourth
Everyone, thanks for entering. I wish we had more but I guess the USA Thanksgiving holiday just got in the way. It was a good challenge so I don't think it was that.

I Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving if you are in the USA. I recommend to those outside the USA that you take some time this year ends to reflect on things you are thankful for and to tell those around you what you are thankful for about them. It really is a wonderful experince.

On that note I am thankful for you all. Each of you adds so much to the forum and thereby to my life. Yes I have a life but this game and all of you make it a happer one. :thumbsup

[Last edited by techant at 11-26-2007 06:56 AM]
11-26-2007 at 06:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Ladies and Gentlement! If you haven't voted yet, cast your vote now! We have a very close situation between the first 3 right now.
11-30-2007 at 06:14 PM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
Well done to Techant and Calamarain, I enjoyed both entries. The puzzle on Techants entry was inspired :)
I must say though, I don't think any of the entries deserved a one vote, but there's no pleasing some people.

Is now a good time to ask about the points I'm owed from the last competition?

Steve.
12-01-2007 at 08:15 AM
MeckMeck GRE
Allright! We have a close winner! Techant won this contest and may now contact the prize distributor "Dex Stewart" in order to claim his free prize-pile article.

I'm quite happy with all entries I saw and I think it would be nice if they could be included into the site. Thanks to all participants and voters!
12-01-2007 at 08:30 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
Allright! We have a close winner! Techant won this contest and may now contact the prize distributor "Dex Stewart" in order to claim his HER free prize-pile article.

I'm quite happy with all entries I saw and I think it would be nice if they could be included into the site. Thanks to all participants and voters!

Just a slight correction + see above. :fun
techant = tech as in techy - ant as in aunt :lol

Thanks everyone - as a webdesigner I got combine my two favorite things, DROD and webdesign. In fact I recall very clearly that I was so impressed with the DROD website, the one before the current one, that I dashed off a e-mail to the designer, with compliments. That began my online relationships with the DROD community.

I agree with everyone that it was a tight contest. I started entering contests as away to get a free carvel membership. It has become much more than that to me now. While I always entered with the best effort I could muster this is only the second contest in over 3 years of trying that I have placed in, muchless won in. I love the contests, and I hope someday my hold development will improve enough to get me a win in that catagory as well, but today I am happy with this one, thank you all.

[Last edited by techant at 12-01-2007 09:44 AM]
12-01-2007 at 09:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
:P Thanks a lot! I really quite enjoyed this contest, though rather frustrating to come second and so close! The winner was well deserved though. Who's the person to contact re: rank points?

Roll on the next contest!

12-01-2007 at 12:40 PM
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
I've been contacted already, and when I feel that enough time has passed since the last time I did so, I will ask Erik and co. again what rank points have been distributed, and tell him what still needs to be done :).
12-01-2007 at 01:34 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: The Media of the Eighth - Poll (+2)  
I'm calling shenanigans. Could a moderator look in on the votes and determine who gave the "1" votes? I find it highly suspicious that three of the entries got a "1" from someone when those entries got nothing less than a 5 from anyone else.

12-06-2007 at 06:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Why didn't the poll record what I voted?

12-06-2007 at 10:30 PM
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
It might be possible that you clicked on View Results by mistake...
12-06-2007 at 11:28 PM
Tahnan
Tahnan wrote:
Could a moderator look in on the votes and determine who gave the "1" votes?
So, er, no response. Is that because no moderator has looked, or because a moderator has looked and found nothing noteworthy, or because a moderator has looked and taken action?
12-11-2007 at 10:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Tahnan wrote:
Tahnan wrote:
Could a moderator look in on the votes and determine who gave the "1" votes?
So, er, no response. Is that because no moderator has looked, or because a moderator has looked and found nothing noteworthy, or because a moderator has looked and taken action?
I don't think moderators have access to such info. I think you'll need a full-blooded super admin (not me) for this one.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
12-11-2007 at 05:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Oh, well, yeah, I was using the word "moderator" vaguely, since I don't really know what the titles specifically mean in terms of powers. I'll PM Schik I have PM'd Schik.

Not unrelatedly:

eytanz wrote, five months ago:
Lets just make it policy from the next contest on that the name of people voting 1s for all their opponents will be made public. That will both serve as a deterrent, and if it's official policy (with a reminder in the contest post) and people do it anyway then they deserve what they get and can't get off by claiming a misunderstanding or anything.
Is this official policy yet? What needs to be done to make it so?

(Incidentally, let me also add, as long as I'm making the above edit: I don't have a dog in this particular fight. I don't have an entry here; I have a favorite entry, but I don't think fixing any potential irregularity will change the results. But we need a clear, zero-tolerance policy for this kind of cheating.)

[Last edited by Tahnan at 12-11-2007 09:49 PM]
12-11-2007 at 09:45 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Tahnan wrote:
But we need a clear, zero-tolerance policy for this kind of cheating.)
I agree.

I've looked into it, and I know who it was. Anybody want to come forward and apologize? I'll note that the results weren't changed this time, but... yeah, I think in future contests this type of behavior should disqualify you from the next couple contests or something. It's just pathetic.

12-12-2007 at 02:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The Media of the Eighth - Poll (A multiple question poll)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com