Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Kingdoms of the Eighth
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
IP: Logged
icon Kingdoms of the Eighth (0)  
In Beethro's world, The Eighth, there are many different kingdoms, represented by all the different dungeons of the different kings. So where do they and the cities all go?

For example, which king owns the crust? Where is Dugan? How big are they, and what are all the cities called?

How large is The Eighth, anyways?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
12-13-2003 at 02:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Kingdoms of the Eighth (0)  
I assume that Sun Island has a bit ol' cloud of steam rising from it because all of the water on the south edge wraps around to the north point, which is really quite hot at times.

And anyway, a visible pole is always cool.

Matt

12-13-2003 at 05:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
ErikH2000 wrote:
I had an idea to have a contest where people draw maps of the Eighth based on what's been said so far on the forum and in the stories. I might then make an official map that combines names and ideas from some of the entries. The prize would be something from the DROD store. If I defined the rules a little better, would anyone be interested?

I certainly would, even though I might not be able to.

12-13-2003 at 02:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
I'm up for it if I can bandit a scanner.

I don't care about your stupid grammar, bandit needs more day-to-day usage.

One question, Erik: In terms of influence, how much does Dugandy have? I thought it would be an amusing idea to have greckles be used by smaller city-states because they realised everyone in the city was using it anyway.

Matt

12-13-2003 at 08:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I think it's a great idea. Not because I have any sort of artistic talent, but because I'm eager to see what people come up with.

12-14-2003 at 01:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Am I right in saying that the Eighth is also known as Dugandy? Therefore, wouldn't Dugan be the most powerful king? Or is Dugandy just the little city-state?

12-14-2003 at 03:14 AM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Am I right in saying that the Eighth is also known as Dugandy? Therefore, wouldn't Dugan be the most powerful king? Or is Dugandy just the little city-state?
Dugandy is just one city-state among many. King Dugan has hardly any power at all, although Dugandy is a great city amongst its neighbors. Beethro's description of Dugan and royalty in chapter 2 of "Beethro the Delver" describes the situation.

-Erik

12-14-2003 at 06:40 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
DiMono wrote:
I think it's a great idea. Not because I have any sort of artistic talent, but because I'm eager to see what people come up with.
Okay, we'll do it. I'll put together rules and a bit more info to help shape how the maps are drawn. Also, we'll try to place emphasis away from artistic talent and more on ideas and creativity.

-Erik

12-14-2003 at 06:43 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stuwy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
oh really? so a grade 1 level drawing with 3 different colour crayons could win? or am i THAT over-exagerating? ;)
12-14-2003 at 06:45 AM
ErikH2000
Mattcrampy wrote:
I assume that Sun Island has a bit ol' cloud of steam rising from it because all of the water on the south edge wraps around to the north point, which is really quite hot at times.
Hmm. Yeah, there are a few details to work out, but I think at least part of the time, you would have the steam cloud rising above the pole like you say. I now have a story of Benedat's Discovery outlined, and I must make things consistent with some points in the plot. I will think about it--a big column of steam is cool idea.

-Erik

12-14-2003 at 06:47 AM
DiMono
Well hey, in that case I might have a shot! Now where did I put those scented markers...

Oh, Erik, if you'd like a hand drafting the rules etc. just let me know, I'm more than glad to chip in.

12-14-2003 at 06:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Stuwy wrote:
oh really? so a grade 1 level drawing with 3 different colour crayons could win? or am i THAT over-exagerating? ;)
If a first grader can communicate interesting ideas with three crayons, then yes, he might very well win. Stuwy, grab your crayolas and show them you're a tiger! :P

-Erik

12-14-2003 at 06:52 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
ErikH2000 wrote:
Mattcrampy wrote:
Hmm. Yeah, there are a few details to work out, but I think at least part of the time, you would have the steam cloud rising above the pole like you say. I now have a story of Benedat's Discovery outlined, and I must make things consistent with some points in the plot. I will think about it--a big column of steam is cool idea.

-Erik
Pole?

But, the pie's a disc!

What determines "north" and which end is it?

Oh, and there will also be a mass problem at the centre/north end and the rim/south end with people exploding and imploding.

In this light, it appears cities will also be wider at one end than at the other if built so the mass at either end is equal. Saying that, it seems that anything moved around in the Eighth will change in size due to the size dilation.

Edit: Improving post quality.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:11-15-2004 at 01:07 AM]

12-15-2003 at 05:30 PM
ErikH2000
agaricus5 wrote:
Pole?
Okay, it's not a magnetic pole. "Pole" isn't the correct term, I guess. The north pole is just the center of the disc. South is towards the perimeter of the disc. East and west are clockwise and counter-clockwise.
Oh, and in this light it appears cities will also be wider at one end than at the other if built so the mass at either end is equal.
Mass is greater at the perimeter. So nothing gets larger or smaller moving from North to South.

-Erik

12-15-2003 at 05:46 PM
agaricus5
ErikH2000 wrote:
Oh, and in this light it appears cities will also be wider at one end than at the other if built so the mass at either end is equal.
Mass is greater at the perimeter. So nothing gets larger or smaller moving from North to South.

-Erik
What?

I thought you said things implode as you go towards the centre and explode as you go outward towards the rim.

Which is it?

12-15-2003 at 10:35 PM
ErikH2000
agaricus5 wrote:
I thought you said things implode as you go towards the centre and explode as you go outward towards the rim.
If you go south from the southern border, you are squeezed into the tiny northern point. If you go into the point, you are exploded into pieces distributed along the southern border. No change in your density occurs moving from north to south or south to north.

-Erik

12-16-2003 at 12:25 AM
DiMono
Wow, this is some messed up physics... huzzah!

Something I notice: As I post this, Erik's at 999 posts. I suggest, for style, that you start a new account and leave the current one at 999 indefinitely.

12-16-2003 at 08:55 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Erik can't reply to that, or Schik will reset him to zero. ;)

12-16-2003 at 09:02 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Erik, could you give us a little more info? The next level of Deep Hold takes place on a giant map of The Eighth, and I'd like it to be statistically accurate.

12-20-2003 at 04:41 PM
ErikH2000
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Erik, could you give us a little more info? The next level of Deep Hold takes place on a giant map of The Eighth, and I'd like it to be statistically accurate.
After I finish some other DROD things, I'll make a post about the contest. After the contest, I'll make an official map based on entries and my own ideas. But these things will take weeks, so I wouldn't expect much in a hurry. If you have a few questions, I might be able to answer them.

-Erik

12-21-2003 at 12:44 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Okay.....

1. Where are they and what are the names of the major cites?

2. What are some of the topographical features? (i.e. lakes/rivers, mountains, plains, etc.)

That's all for now.....

12-21-2003 at 12:53 AM
Mattcrampy
Your questions overlap more than you think.

Every major city is built on a mountain, because the flatlands are extremely hazardous. Mountains just go up, woop! in the middle of nowhere. There may be ranges, but I haven't heard anything about them.

No-one sane or wealthy lives on the flatlands. It's a giant floodplain, like the Netherlands, but unlike the Netherlands there's no decent irrigation and a very good chance of flooding. It's also infested by wraithwings, which is another thing the Netherlands doesn't have.

As for water, the only thing we know is that the Eighth has water all around the edge, and there's a hot lake (which is the same water as the water around the edge) at the bottom of the volcano-looking mountain at the centre/north point/whatever. The island it's on is called Sun Island.

I'd imagine Erik would have a few ideas as to other cities and topological features, but he hasn't let much slip. That crazy Erik! We'll have to lock him up in a straitjacket.

Matt

12-21-2003 at 03:08 AM
agaricus5
ErikH2000 wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
If you go south from the southern border, you are squeezed into the tiny northern point.

No change in your density occurs moving from north to south or south to north.

-Erik

How oxymoronic!

Being squeezed increases your density if your volume decreases (Unless, of course, your mass moves out into another dimension which will then be rather difficult to visualise).

This is therefore what I visualise about the Eighth, then:

1. The centre of the "sun" and anything along that line of height (Since the Eighth is more like a disc than a sphere) is actually distributed equally along the outer rim of the disc and there is an infinitely small vacuum along the "centre" line where all the mass there is actually along the outer rim of the disc.

2. If one manages to fire something at high velocity towards the rim along the bisector of the "pie slice" it is on, ignoring gravity and air resistance, the object will slowly expand as it nears the rim. At the rim, it will have expanded to fill the entire 1/8 circumference of the slice and will form a complete ring around the "pie" momentarily with its 7 other counterparts. The object then moves to the centre of the pie and is fired outwards, and assuming it does not melt/vapourize, will continue going outwards, eventually to complete a full circle/line and come back to the point at which it originated.

Is this right?

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:11-15-2004 at 01:13 AM]

12-22-2003 at 11:49 PM
agaricus5
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Have you considered the scale you are using?

Apparently, either the pie or a slice has a surface area of 1/8 of the earth's total surface area, so that's 62.5 million km^2 either per "slice" (500000000km^2 for the entire "pie"), or 62.5 million km^2 for the pie (7812500km^2 for a slice).

If we take the smaller option, then the radius of the pie is approximately 4500km, which will require a huge level if it is to have a reasonable level of accuracy. Also height/width differences would have to be counted for.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:11-15-2004 at 01:16 AM]

12-23-2003 at 12:12 AM
ErikH2000
agaricus5 wrote:
How oxymoronic!

Being squeezed increases your density if your volume decreases (Unless, of course, your mass moves out into another dimension which will then mess things up completely).
No, no, hold on. I said no change in your density occurs moving from north to south or south to north. If you go past south border, then you will get squeezed, and become suddenly much more dense. If you go into the north point, then you will get dispersed along the south border, and be much less dense.

Maybe you understood that part in your previous reply, but since you say there is a conflict between "squeezing" (where I described movement into the north point) and "no change in density" (where I described other movement), I think I may have been misunderstood.

-Erik

12-23-2003 at 12:17 AM
agaricus5
ErikH2000 wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
How oxymoronic!

Being squeezed increases your density if your volume decreases (Unless, of course, your mass moves out into another dimension which will then mess things up completely).
No, no, hold on. I said no change in your density occurs moving from north to south or south to north. If you go past south border, then you will get squeezed, and become suddenly much more dense. If you go into the north point, then you will get dispersed along the south border, and be much less dense.

Maybe you understood that part in your previous reply, but since you say there is a conflict between "squeezing" (where I described movement into the north point) and "no change in density" (where I described other movement), I think I may have been misunderstood.

-Erik

If I misunderstood you...

Does this mean that there is no expansion/implosion until you reach the centre/rim of the pie, and such density change is spontaneous?

This will really make your pie's physics extremely odd.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:11-15-2004 at 01:17 AM]

12-23-2003 at 12:21 AM
ErikH2000
agaricus5 wrote:
Does this mean that there is no expansion/implosion until you reach the centre/rim of the pie, and such density change is spontaneous?
Yes, this is how it works! Now I will make you do all the work of explaining how it could be, because you understand physics way better than me. ;)

-Erik

12-23-2003 at 12:28 AM
The_Red_Hawk
agaricus5 wrote:
Uhh... Have you considered the scale you are using?

I mean a giant *map*, and for a map it will be giant.

So, Erik, *is* there any more info you can give?

12-23-2003 at 01:18 AM
ErikH2000
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
So, Erik, *is* there any more info you can give?
Yeah, I'm putting together the contest announcement. I'll answer some of your questions in that.

-Erik

12-23-2003 at 02:35 AM
The_Red_Hawk
How long will it take? because I am already halfway through making the level after the map one.

12-23-2003 at 05:22 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Kingdoms of the Eighth
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com