Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Happiness and Jubilation! (An easy way to exchange drod between computer systems?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
aztcg7
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
IP: Logged
icon Happiness and Jubilation! (+1)  
After the horrific destruction of my DROD:TCB file, (it wasn't because of a bike accident ;) ) I have once again played through TCB. And let me tell you, it was a marathon. I still haven't mastered it, but I just want to say...Happiness and Jubilation!

On a related note, I'm currently going back and forth between my laptop, which is running Windows, and my desktop at home, which is running Linux. I know that if it were just one OS, I could simply put the entire DROD folder onto a flash drive, and that would work out swimmingly. But the thing is, constant exports and reimports would be bad, because I would undoubtedly import one day when a hold I have begun to play isn't downloaded on the other system. This would cause a loss of data, and I wouldn't likely notice it until it's once again to late to repair. Anyone would dislike said loss of data, especially me, with my recent total loss of data. So I ask the Forum Gods (Legendary Smitemasters) or any other person who might have a solution, "Is it possible to easily swap between 2 OS's with DROD in a non-data-lossy sort of way?"

[Last edited by aztcg7 at 09-06-2007 04:17 AM]
09-06-2007 at 04:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
schep
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 865
icon Re: Happiness and Jubilation! (+1)  
aztcg7 wrote:
I know that if it were just one OS, I could simply put the entire DROD folder onto a flash drive, and that would work out swimmingly. But the thing is, constant exports and reimports would be bad, ... "Is it possible to easily swap between 2 OS's with DROD in a non-data-lossy sort of way?"

If you're willing to do a bit of manual and/or scripted copying each time you move, just copy around your *.dat files using said flash drive. Don't bother with drod3_0.dat, which never changes. So data.dat, player.dat, and possibly more, depending on exactly which version you're using.
09-06-2007 at 05:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Happiness and Jubilation! (0)  
schep wrote:
If you're willing to do a bit of manual and/or scripted copying each time you move, just copy around your *.dat files using said flash drive. Don't bother with drod3_0.dat, which never changes. So data.dat, player.dat, and possibly more, depending on exactly which version you're using.
That, or just edit the DataPath.txt file of both installations to directly use the data files off the flash drive...

09-06-2007 at 08:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Wait. I thought the only recommended way to make the files portable is to export and import the player files?

If you haven't exported your player before, I'd suggest you to do so.
It's always convenient to have the player file in case everything else is messed up (or while upgrading to the latest version).

09-06-2007 at 09:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Tim wrote:
Wait. I thought the only recommended way to make the files portable is to export and import the player files?
Well, it is if you're using different versions, or have different players on different machines, or want the current state on both machines.

If you use the same executables on both machines and just use shared data files (of course not at the same time, as using an USB drive automatically enforces) there shouldn't be any problems either. Just make sure to close down DROD and unmount the USB drive properly before removing it physically... ;)

But in that case, putting all files on the USB stick and setting the paths in DataPath.txt to ".\" might be the best solution - all you then need is a shortcut on your desktop with the "Start in:" directory set correctly.

If you haven't exported your player before, I'd suggest you to do so.
It's always convenient to have the player file in case everything else is messed up (or while upgrading to the latest version).
Of course that's always a wise thing to do, in any case.

09-06-2007 at 10:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Happiness and Jubilation! (An easy way to exchange drod between computer systems?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com