Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Hypothetical question (A little maths?)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 933
IP: Logged
icon Re: Hypothetical question (+1)  
Mmmm. Pressure plates make it a lot more efficient in terms of packing counters in. Although you require less moves to trigger each one, you can pack more counters in total, so the X in 2^X is greater. I've been thinking as well about the 2^X term.

There *might* be a way to get a greater power, by having a combination of a guard and being invisible. That way, the orientation of the guard when you step out of/into range would matter for the purposes of a few things, and the guard-containing square would store 8 possible states, not just one. This is just a thought though, I have no idea how to put it into practice :( I suspect that although you could get say... 3^X or more, you wouldn't be able to get a higher number ofmoves because you could pack less of them into w room.

[Last edited by calamarain at 06-23-2007 05:44 PM]
06-23-2007 at 04:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DanielFishman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 159

File: Long HacknSlash.hold (3.8 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
License: Public Domain
No where near any of the above ones, but I reckon this is about as long as a hack and slash room can get. Once you get to about turn 1000, by which point about 2/3 of the roaches are left, 59 roaches are being born per cycle and you are killing 60 - effectively 1 roach per 60 turns, making something of the order of 40k turns before you can even think about killing the roach queens.
06-24-2007 at 09:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Geiler Hengst
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 64
icon Re: Hypothetical question (0)  
DanielFishman wrote:
No where near any of the above ones, but I reckon this is about as long as a hack and slash room can get. Once you get to about turn 1000, by which point about 2/3 of the roaches are left, 59 roaches are being born per cycle and you are killing 60 - effectively 1 roach per 60 turns, making something of the order of 40k turns before you can even think about killing the roach queens.

nope sorry it'S much less... as you got the speed potion you can run away from the roaches and kill the queens without killing the roaches first!
06-24-2007 at 10:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DanielFishman
How? I don't see any way of moving out of those bottom left two squares without getting killed.
06-24-2007 at 12:30 PM
Skylancer64
Rank Points: 62

File: LH Lots and lots of roaches The Entrance Death.demo (8.9 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
License: Public Domain
I attempted your room, armed with ctrl-Q/W. Apparently you didn't playtest your hack-and-slash level, or verify that it is solvable.

As you see in the attached demo, for most of the time, it is actually 57 spawns per cycle because of your placement of the roach queens. The long line of roaches in the first column blocks two of the spawns each time.

Secondly, once the number of roaches gets low, near the end, there is a single empty space in the flow of the roaches per cycle that the player can do nothing about. It occurs exactly every cycle, on turn 29. Therefore, the player can only kill 59 roaches per cycle, exactly the number being spawned. I believe your room is unsolvable.

[Last edited by Skylancer64 at 06-24-2007 04:35 PM]
06-24-2007 at 04:33 PM
DanielFishman
Skylancer64 wrote:
I attempted your room, armed with ctrl-Q/W. Apparently you didn't playtest your hack-and-slash level, or verify that it is solvable.

As you see in the attached demo, for most of the time, it is actually 57 spawns per cycle because of your placement of the roach queens. The long line of roaches in the first column blocks two of the spawns each time.

Bother. I playtested it with a slightly different roach queen starting but changed it to avoid missing a few on the far right; I had to go so didn't have time to check it again and assumed it would be the same but slightly longer. :~(
Moving one roach from the north side to the east side solves this, and possibly (I'll test later) the other, more major, problem.

Secondly, once the number of roaches gets low, near the end, there is a single empty space in the flow of the roaches per cycle that the player can do nothing about. It occurs exactly every cycle, on turn 29. Therefore, the player can only kill 59 roaches per cycle, exactly the number being spawned. I believe your room is unsolvable.

Hmm. I can't quite see why the roaches aren't moving there.
I did rather assume that it would be possible to solve. I'll try wth the slightly different roach queen configuration though 40k turns is a lot of accurate key-pressing.
06-24-2007 at 07:54 PM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
I think all you need to do is replace the upper-right queen with a brain, and add force arrows to prevent the queens from moving (yet another situation where a brain makes it easier... :)).

06-24-2007 at 07:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
I just had an idea. Can people think it over and clarify that it's sorta right...

You might be able to get a denser packing of information. Not just binary but trinary.

You have a space. It can have one of three states... either containing a roach, containing a wubba or empty. And the state where it contains a roach *isn't* the same as it containing a wubba because the wubba won't move in some cases, but the roach will. This, you could have things that depend on what's present if anything.

06-24-2007 at 11:31 PM
Skylancer64
Rank Points: 62
icon Re: Hypothetical question (+2)  
The real problem is that if you use critters to pack information, it becomes very hard to control. The state is prone to shift on you in ways you don't want because of monster movement rules, and unless Beethro himself is nearby to kill the roach, the number of roaches will stay constant, severely limiting your options for counting. Moreover, you also need spawners to add roaches back in. And there is the problem with wubbas that you can never add more, or delete them except with bombs, which end up taking more space, etc.

Consider the simple case of a room with roaches and gel babies (which have wubba-like movement) and their appropriate spawners. There are hugely many combinatoric possiblities, up to 3^N (since roaches and gel behave differently), but you'd be hard pressed to systematically cycle through them all, since all the critters will all beeline towards Beethro, collapsing your stored information downward to a few simple packed-against-the-wall states. And moreover, crafting positions where the movement difference matters is hard and takes up space. I hardly believe you can achieve even an exponential amount of info stored, at least without taking a large amount of space with walls and force arrows and spawners. But then, you are already far worse than a binary bit per 3 sqaures.

Using objects like guards to store information isn't much better, since their swords take up space, and unless constrained (invisiblity potion, decoy...), they will always rotate to face Beethro. And again, you'd like to be able to force Beethro to finely toggle the states of the guards one by one, forcing him to recursively cycle through most combinatoric possiblities, but how well can that be done with the relatively massive influence ranges of the invisiblity potion and the decoy? And how can you make guard sword orientation matter so that the player has no choice but to cycle through all those possiblities? Bringing the player near the guard at all already destroys the information since the guard will re-orient towards the player.

With all the variety of critters and objects, you can speculate about any variety of base (each square could be door open, door closed, with a roach, or a wubba, or a rock golem, or a rock golem pile, or a wraithwing, or tar, or...), but I don't see a feasable way of exploiting it. And remember, even if you somehow achieve an 8^N, if it takes you more than 9 (3*3) squares to do it, you are already worse than plates and doors. The power of doors is that they are hard information storage, non-disrupted by player presence or position, and finely programmable with careful plate-orb settings, and they can togglably block player movement, forcing the cycling through all combinatoric possiblities necesary to achieve exponential time.

I suspect you could find ways to combine critters and doors, but the 3-square-per-bit configuration I found doesn't allow for much in the way of this, and every inefficiency you introduce to allow critter storage is a loss. If you find a 4-square-per-bit door configuration that somehow allows for additional critter information, it still seems doubtful that you can make up the roughly 100 powers of 2 that you lost in the process. As far as I can see, the optimal room would be very similar to the ones we already have, except perhaps with a brain and spawners so Beethro has to fight as he counts, and bombs on the walls so sword orientation is restricted, and some other doodads here and there to add an impressively large constant multiplier. Builders might have some potential as well, although that starts to reach into scriping. But generally, I don't see any way to achieve any real improvement on 2^397, order-of-magnitude-wise.

06-25-2007 at 04:26 PM
calamarain
Skylancer64 wrote:
I suspect you could find ways to combine critters and doors, but the 3-square-per-bit configuration I found doesn't allow for much in the way of this, and every inefficiency you introduce to allow critter storage is a loss. If you find a 4-square-per-bit door configuration that somehow allows for additional critter information, it still seems doubtful that you can make up the roughly 100 powers of 2 that you lost in the process. As far as I can see, the optimal room would be very similar to the ones we already have, except perhaps with a brain and spawners so Beethro has to fight as he counts, and bombs on the walls so sword orientation is restricted, and some other doodads here and there to add an impressively large constant multiplier. Builders might have some potential as well, although that starts to reach into scriping. But generally, I don't see any way to achieve any real improvement on 2^397, order-of-magnitude-wise.

You're most probably right. If the rooms in DROD were larger, eventually the number of 3^X units would win out over the number of 2^X units,but on a room this size I don't think we can beat the 2^X limit.

Still fun on theorise on :)

06-25-2007 at 06:31 PM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: Hypothetical question (+2)  
calamarain wrote:
You're most probably right. If the rooms in DROD were larger, eventually the number of 3^X units would win out over the number of 2^X units,but on a room this size I don't think we can beat the 2^X limit.

Room size is not the issue. Density of information is.

As Skylancer said, having to use more squares for a greater exponent really cuts into data storage, and at a certain multiplier, will fail to beat lower exponents with higher density for any finite room size.

For a comparison between 2^x and 3^x, if you end up with 58.5% more bits with the 2^x, then it's going to beat out 3^x no matter how many times you use it. If we only consider the 3 squares the pressure plate method was using in its most dense form (ignoring the necessary wastage to get it to fit inside the particular room shape DROD uses), that means your 3^x implementation *must* use no more than 4 squares to store a bit. Anything more than that, and 2^x wins. Skylancer used the same method to state that 8^x won't win if it uses 9 squares per state.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 06-25-2007 06:56 PM]
06-25-2007 at 06:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Hypothetical question (A little maths?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com