Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : "Young" poll (A multiple question poll)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
At what age does a male cease being a "young man" and become just a "man"
18-20
20-22
22-24
24-26
26-28
28-30
At what age does a female cease being a "young woman" and become just a "woman"
18-20
20-22
22-24
24-26
26-28
28-30
Pressing Vote will vote for all of the questions. Make sure you have voted in each one!
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
IP: Logged
icon "Young" poll (0)  
I just got labeled a "Smart young man". While I consider myself to be a man who is young (29), I don't really consider myself to be a "young man." At what age would you draw the boundary between "Young man" and just "man"? Same question for women, to be fair.

04-13-2006 at 07:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: "Young" poll (0)  
I personally think the age for these is above 30; I voted for the highest age bracket.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-13-2006 at 07:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I reckon it depends on the age of the person making the statement as compared to the age of the person to whom the the statement is intended.

By this, I don't mean a 70 year-old should call a 60 year old a "young man", but if there's a 2 generation gap (~40 years), then I think it's an entitlement. If there's less than a 40 year gap, I think it should be beased on the age of voting in the country/state in which the comment is made. Anyone of legal voting age is a man. All others are young men...
04-13-2006 at 08:47 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Heh, well, it was actually one of my students (15 years old) making the comment. Which is part of why I felt it was a bit awkward.

04-13-2006 at 09:01 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Ok, that's just odd then ;)
04-13-2006 at 09:04 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Just wondering, do you look "young", or do you act "young"? When you reach a certain age, you will be judged by what and how you are doing, and how old you look like.

Personally, I think he was just testing.

-- Tim

[Last edited by Tim at 04-13-2006 10:40 PM]
04-13-2006 at 10:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: "Young" poll (+3)  
I'm not sure the poll goes back far enough - before the 20th century, people were considered adult around 13 or 14 years old in many cultures (including American) - and they probably are still in some cultures.

In my opinion, the fact that we treat people as children until they are so old increases the probability that they will act like children. The fact that we see so many immature 18 year olds is not necessarily a sign that the age of adulthood is too low - it seems to me more like a sign that we've infantized generations of potential young adults and created a state that allows them to be children far too long. (Compulsory education and the raising of the age of adulthood have, in my mind, created the very need they were supposed to address).

[Last edited by silver at 04-13-2006 11:22 PM]
04-13-2006 at 11:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
icon Re: "Young" poll (+1)  
I protest!

I am 35, and I'm still a young man !

Actually, coincidently I was called it recently by someone who couldn't have been much older than 40...

04-14-2006 at 02:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
SKWERLL
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
icon Re: "Young" poll (+2)  
You become a man when you first register on these forums.

The best hold in the world!
04-15-2006 at 05:19 AM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Silver: Double "Good". I totally agree with you :). I don't know how the things are going in USA (:D), but in the Poland, this problem is real pain in the ass (And that's what a 15-years old teen is saying - And don't be the next person who will tell that I seem to be very mature in this age. And don't tell me I'm vain and not modest ;)).

04-17-2006 at 11:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
miketo
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
I agree with Silver. Spot on!

Maturity and wisdom seldom correlate to physical age. When dealing with others, I err on the side of assuming that people are mature unless they consistently demonstrate otherwise. I know "kids" who are far more mature than most adults, and I know adults who are so immature it's a wonder they weren't tossed back in the ocean from which they spawned.
04-23-2006 at 03:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : "Young" poll (A multiple question poll) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com