Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Game Creation Systems
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
butsam
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 114
IP: Logged
icon Game Creation Systems (0)  
DROD is right up there now with other game creation systems for being able to create good puzzle games. However, I was wondering what other game creation systems people enjoy?

I know Runesword 2 is quite good for RPG creation...there is a script editor that's fairly easy to use and lots of attributes. MegaZeux and ZZT are good classics. Anyone aware of others?

Sam
07-19-2003 at 05:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Game Creation Systems (0)  
Lode Runner (all incarnations)...I made some awesome levels in the original and lost them all when I stopped using my Apple IIc. ;)

There is a game called RoX which is a Boulderdash clone, and supposedly you can make levels with it, but the main webpage went down about a week after I started playing it and hasn't come back up yet. :(

Doom had a great level-building community...I still remember the three-episode Aliens missions...really neat graphics conversion and well done levels, too.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-19-2003 at 08:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
butsam
Rank Points: 114
Oh yeah, that reminds me, the Quake editor (QED) is good as well. Unfortunately, I lost the main Quake CD, so all I have is the editor now...makes it hard to test.

If that website ever comes back up, let me know--I would be interested in a Boulderdash-like level editor.

Lode Runner is a very enjoyable classic...though I didn't ever have an Apple at home, so I didn't get to play it much. Maybe there's a Windows version floating around somewhere...

Sam

[Edited by butsam on 07-19-2003 at 09:53 PM]
07-19-2003 at 09:51 PM
Oneiromancer
Just go to www.gamehippo.com and search for Rox. The .zip file includes the level editor. The demise of the main website made me sad because now there is nowhere to get new levels as far as I can tell.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-19-2003 at 09:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
butsam wrote:
However, I was wondering what other game creation systems people enjoy?
I have never gotten far into it, but Everett Kaser's MESH software looked really good if you wanted to make a puzzle game with this criteria:

- Elements represented as tiles in a grid.
- Step-and-pause interaction. (You know, like DROD--you move, monsters move, everything pauses until next move.)
- Programming in a script language.

It seemed pretty clean and simple, yet flexible. You can change the tileset, game rules, and basically make about any kind of game you wanted. One fellow even made a DROD clone, but I think it had a lot of bugs in it and he gave up.

http://www.kaser.com

-Erik

07-19-2003 at 10:06 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Re: Game Creation Systems (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
One fellow even made a DROD clone, but I think it had a lot of bugs in it and he gave up.
-Erik

Sounds like Level 21...

Matt

07-20-2003 at 05:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
Try Game Maker 5 at:

http://www.gamemaker.nl

It's a really nifty tool for creating all sorts of 2D scrolling games, from shoot-'em-ups to puzzlers to sidescrollers to you name it. Running through the tutorials is recommended.

07-20-2003 at 09:01 PM
Zmann
Rank Points: 241
I've had Game Maker for a couple of years now. I'd post a game or two that I've made, but I can't find any webspace to put it.
07-21-2003 at 02:40 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
I made a post on this board earlier that lists a few more game creation programs. It's the one entitled: "Stagecast Creator and game creation."

http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=691

-Noah

[Edited by NoahT on 08-16-2003 at 01:43 AM GMT: URL]

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

07-21-2003 at 07:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
Zmann sez:
I've had Game Maker for a couple of years now. I'd post a game or two that I've made, but I can't find any webspace to put it.

Got Geocities? :D You can send them directly to me if you want, at
sokko87@hotmail.com
Always glad to learn from others' games!

07-21-2003 at 08:10 PM
noman
Rank Points: 104
I also programmed a simple puzzle game, similar to sokoban, didn't complete it, please read my post on the drod development message board. I wrongfully put it there.

07-21-2003 at 08:13 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Apart from what's already mentioned.. LodeRunner 2 is great too (LodeRunner, but in isometric 3d!). And be sure to check out TileWorld (Chip's Challenge!) with ChipEdit.

butsam wrote:
I would be interested in a Boulderdash-like level editor.
Try Rocks'n'Diamonds. Open source boulderdash-clone with gazillions of levels and a level editor. Oh, and while you're there, check out Mirror Magic as well! (Deflector/Mindbender clone)

- Gerry
07-22-2003 at 08:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Oneiromancer wrote:
Lode Runner (all incarnations)...I made some awesome levels in the original and lost them all when I stopped using my Apple IIc. ;)

I've also made lots of levels with Lode Runner (The Legend Returns). But I also haven't gotten past level 29.

-Noah

[Edited by NoahT on 11-05-2003 at 01:53 AM GMT: Clarification]

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

07-22-2003 at 09:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Re: Re: Game Creation Systems (0)  
trick wrote:
Apart from what's already mentioned.. LodeRunner 2 is great too (LodeRunner, but in isometric 3d!).

Yes, I was being lazy and just said "Lode Runner (all incarnations)." I owned the original Lode Runner and Championship Lode Runner on the Apple IIc, got Lode Runner: The Legend Returns (actually I got the semi-sequel, Lode Runner: The Mad Monk's Revenge, which has more levels and also a two player mode) for Windows, and then got Lode Runner 2 when it came out. I think that LR2 was my least favorite, although I enjoyed it, I hated not being able to see the entire screen at once.

Oh, I did try to play the NES version of Lode Runner, but again, the screen had to scroll so it wasn't very fun.

And thanks for the links to Rock n Diamonds and Mirror Magic...I think I tried them a long time ago but I will try them again. Again, RoX is a great game, even if it is no longer supported.

Game on,

07-22-2003 at 10:31 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Game Creation Systems
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com