Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Drod name copyright and usage
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Gutter
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
IP: Logged
icon Drod name copyright and usage (+1)  
Hey its me again. I had started a portable version of DROD a while back (my posts are still here) and I stopped it due to changing the device I worked on.

But I am back again for another pass! Since he time I worked on DROD I have now 8 published games on a portable device. I make a living of it as an independant dev (only thing I don't do is music...) and I was wondering how that would clash with DROD's license.

I've read the MPL, but I still have questions. (keep in mind that this would be a recode, only borrowing the name and the concept. The device run a custom version of Java)

-Can one use the "DROD" name in a commercial venture. Do I need any permission, or do I need to license the name.

-The media aren't included in the open source deal, but is there a way to use the 'vanilla' DROD tile in such a project (plus some of my own, as I would likely need to make it with 8x8 tiles...)

-What about the vanilla levels design?

Of course I would need to create the holds myself, but I was doing a pretty good job in the original project. Shouldn't be too hard on my new device. In my original project I tried to make the same levels as DROD, only smaller. It looked good most of the time, and other time I needed to create new one. But what is the status on doing that? (copying ideas from the original, non-customs holds)

03-20-2006 at 05:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Drod name copyright and usage (0)  
Gutter wrote:
-Can one use the "DROD" name in a commercial venture. Do I need any permission, or do I need to license the name.
Just avoid using DROD at the front of your product title. We have plans to trademark the name, but like 50 million other things, just haven't gotten around to it. If you can put "DROD" at the end of your title, i.e. "MobileDROD", then I can probably write you a license (free) to use the name for as long as you wish, and this won't conflict with a trademark. I mainly want to avoid confusion between our products and other people's.
-The media aren't included in the open source deal, but is there a way to use the 'vanilla' DROD tile in such a project (plus some of my own, as I would likely need to make it with 8x8 tiles...)
Well, I'm not sure what you mean by "vanilla" here. All of the images with DROD: Architects' Edition are public domain. So you could use those. There are also a small number of public domain tilesets for Journey to Rooted Hold posted on this board you could look at.
-What about the vanilla levels design?
Again, I don't know what "vanilla" means, but the levels that are included with DROD: Architects' Edition are public domain, so you could look at those. You shouldn't use King Dugan's Dungeon 2.0 levels--we reserve all rights to it, despite its overlap with the public domain-released levels found in DROD: Architects' Edition.
Of course I would need to create the holds myself, but I was doing a pretty good job in the original project. Shouldn't be too hard on my new device. In my original project I tried to make the same levels as DROD, only smaller. It looked good most of the time, and other time I needed to create new one. But what is the status on doing that? (copying ideas from the original, non-customs holds)
If you use this technique with DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold levels, well... I'd feel extremely uncomfortable with it unless we worked out some kind of deal. Whether it's legal or not--I don't know. If you use this technique with the DROD: Architects' Edition levels, it's fine, since we released them into the public domain.

Thanks for asking about these things.

-Erik

03-20-2006 at 06:32 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Gutter
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
I'm sorry... By "vanilla" I mean the architech edition. But thank you for the answers. This will be my next project.

By the way, can one simply use "Deadly Room Of Death" as a project name?
03-21-2006 at 08:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Gutter wrote:
By the way, can one simply use "Deadly Room Of Death" as a project name?
But then you have a game with the same name as the first release of DROD. Confusing!

-Erik

03-22-2006 at 01:53 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
Hmmm...well, if it's a pocket device version, why not call it "Bite-Size DROD"?

03-22-2006 at 09:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
More like Roach Bite-Sized DROD.
03-23-2006 at 05:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
icon Re: Drod name copyright and usage (+1)  
Hey, how about PROD? Portable Rooms of Death!

03-24-2006 at 09:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NekoIncardine
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 127
icon Re: Drod name copyright and usage (+2)  
Five ideas for the name for different portables:
* Dark Dungeon, Strong Sword: Deadly Rooms Of Death DS.
* Logic Challenge: Deadly Rooms Of Death (for PSP).
* The Miniature Adventures of Beethro: Deadly Rooms Of Death Advance.
* Deadly Cellphones Of Death.
* Sword And Step: Deadly Rooms Of Death Micro.

Also, I would recommend NOT trying to emulate Dugan's Dungeon in a portable implementation - limit the room size to a smaller scale, then figure out each level's gimmack and build small levels based off that. Mabye try and emulate the JtRH monsters at the same time, get them all in one go and leave space for TCB's.

Hell, if this works all the way, maybe you could consider trying to work with the DevTeam to make a Caravel-branded version or something. Let people take their Smitemaster's Selections (in limited form) on the go. Just an idea if the basic version works out, of course.

03-29-2006 at 06:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Drod name copyright and usage
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com