Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Linux DROD-JtRH 2.0.13 un-/installation issues (...and some other things)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Stefan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2119
IP: Logged

File: look.png (197.7 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
License: Other
icon Linux DROD-JtRH 2.0.13 un-/installation issues (+1)  
I downloaded the full verion of DROD:JtRH 2.0.13 for Linux today, and experienced some problems with it. I didn't try the patch, so I don't know if there are similar issues there.

First of all, uninstalling the previous version produced this error message (the uninstall was successful, though):
/usr/local/games/drod-jtrh/Libs/libgcc_s.so.1 : No such file or directory
After installing 2.0.13 I tried immediately uninstalling it, and it gave the same message.

Installing the game (as root) went fine (I did a "world-writable data"-install (usually I install it as per-user, but I decided to try it out just for fun)), but running drod-jtrh as a normal user failed with the following message:
Couldn't create lock file, check permissions (/usr/local/games/drod-jtrh/Data/drod2_0.pid27064).
It turned out that /usr/local/games/drod-jtrh/Data was only writable by root, so I had to change permissions for that directory. After doing that the game started.

Now comes the slightly weird part. Some of the buttons and dialogs seems to have changed size since the previous version. The 'Import'-button on the initial screen was larger than before (I think). When entering the main screen, the version number was also a little out of place (it was shifted too much to the left). And finally, the 'File successfully imported'-dialog was smaller than before (there seems to be some padding or empty border missing). There may be other stuff as well, but these were those I immediately noticed.

I've attached some screenshots of these 'problems'.

Oh, and I haven't been able to change the path for the dats yet. Every time I modify the path in DataPath.txt, the game just reverts to the default (/usr/local/games/drod-jtrh/Data). I seem to remember also having some problems with this when installing on a per-user basis, but that was solved by keeping a set of the original dats in the ~/.caravel/drod-2_0/ directory. If any of the dats or drod.ini was missing, the path was changed back to the default value, otherwise it worked (I think, it's been a while since I've experimented with this). Checking... Yes, having a set of dats in ~/.caravel/drod-2_0/ fixed this, so it's OK, I guess (although it would be nice to have it fixed so that the excess dats in the home directory wouldn't be necessary).

03-19-2006 at 04:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Linux DROD-JtRH 2.0.13 un-/installation issues (0)  
Stefan wrote:
Now comes the slightly weird part. Some of the buttons and dialogs seems to have changed size since the previous version. The 'Import'-button on the initial screen was larger than before (I think). When entering the main screen, the version number was also a little out of place (it was shifted too much to the left). And finally, the 'File successfully imported'-dialog was smaller than before (there seems to be some padding or empty border missing). There may be other stuff as well, but these were those I immediately noticed.

I've attached some screenshots of these 'problems'.
I can speak for these: they aren't problems, but design decisions.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-19-2006 at 05:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
mrimer wrote:
Oh, ok. I liked the old spacious dialogs better, though. The new ones give a slightly compressed and claustrophobic feel.

03-19-2006 at 05:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Linux DROD-JtRH 2.0.13 un-/installation issues (+1)  
Stefan wrote:
First of all, uninstalling the previous version produced this error message (the uninstall was successful, though):
/usr/local/games/drod-jtrh/Libs/libgcc_s.so.1 : No such file or directory
After installing 2.0.13 I tried immediately uninstalling it, and it gave the same message.
This is normal. The file libgcc_s.so.1 is required on systems that do not already have it, but on the other hand, using the bundled copy on systems that do have it makes everything break. The installer always installs the file, but then detects the presence of a system-wide one and deletes the installed file if one was found. The uninstall program doesn't get to know about this, so it tries deleting the file again in any case, and we get the error you got there.

It's harmless, but I agree it can be a bit confusing, and I'll look into doing this in a better way for the next version.
Installing the game (as root) went fine (I did a "world-writable data"-install (usually I install it as per-user, but I decided to try it out just for fun)), but running drod-jtrh as a normal user failed with the following message:
Couldn't create lock file, check permissions (/usr/local/games/drod-jtrh/Data/drod2_0.pid27064).
It turned out that /usr/local/games/drod-jtrh/Data was only writable by root, so I had to change permissions for that directory. After doing that the game started.
This is a bug, obviously. The .dat files got the right permissions, but the directory they live in didn't due to a conflict. I've fixed the problem and will upload fixed installers in a jiffy. Thank you for reporting this!

[Edit: Fixed installers uploaded!]
Oh, and I haven't been able to change the path for the dats yet. Every time I modify the path in DataPath.txt, the game just reverts to the default (/usr/local/games/drod-jtrh/Data).
Are you sure you modified DataPath.txt correctly ? It has a very strict format; the contents should be exactly in this form:
/path/to/data;/path/to/resources;

Data are the .dat files and the .ini, resources are the rest. Each path should be terminated with a semicolon. No extra spaces or newlines are allowed, except after the final semicolon. If DataPath.txt doesn't have this format, it will be regenerated.

Also, are you making sure the .dats (and the directory they live in) are writable in their new location ?
Yes, having a set of dats in ~/.caravel/drod-2_0/ fixed this, so it's OK, I guess (although it would be nice to have it fixed so that the excess dats in the home directory wouldn't be necessary).
Hm. You're saying that having .dats in ~/.caravel/drod-2_0/ makes DataPath.txt keep its custom contents and keep using .dats stored elsewhere ? That's weird. I'll look into this.

- Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 03-19-2006 08:42 PM]
03-19-2006 at 06:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stefan
trick wrote:
Are you sure you modified DataPath.txt correctly ?
Yes, I'm familiar with the DataPath.txt syntax, and yes, I'm sure that I edited it correctly. After all, I used the same file every time (copied it to overwrite the regenerated DataPath.txt) - it was only after a set of dats were put in the 'home directory' (~/.caravel/drod-2_0/) that it started working.
Also, are you making sure the .dats (and the directory they live in) are writable in their new location ?
The dats are on a fat32 partition, mounted rw, so yes, they are writable (I've had this kind of setup ever since the JtRH beta, although this is the first time I've looked more closely at it (beyond getting it to work) - it's rather tedious to start over to get a clean testing environment).
Hm. You're saying that having .dats in ~/.caravel/drod-2_0/ makes DataPath.txt keep its custom contents and keep using .dats stored elsewhere ?
Exactly, although I should add that I found that modifying the drod-jtrh script so that DROD_2_0_DAT_PATH points to the custom location of the dats makes it work without having dats in the 'home dir'.

03-19-2006 at 11:26 PM
Stefan
Further testing reveals that the same thing (unable to customize paths through DataPath.txt without having dats in home dir) applies for installing as root and selecting to install the data on a per-user basis. The only difference is that the dats and drod.ini are automatically copied to the home dir if they are not already there.

Installing as a normal user is similar (wrt this problem) to installing as root.

All these can be remedied by changing the DROD_2_0_DAT_PATH variable in the drod-jtrh script. Setting the variable manually before running the script is not sufficient (...obviously, because it is redefined whenever you run drod-jtrh).

On a slightly related matter (fits at least the topic header), if you don't choose to install a symbolic link, then you won't be given the option to start the game directly from the installer (the 'Start'-button isn't there). However, if you do choose to install the link, then you will be given the option to run the game even if you install as root.

03-20-2006 at 12:30 AM
trick
Stefan wrote:
Further testing reveals that the same thing (unable to customize paths through DataPath.txt without having dats in home dir) applies for installing as root and selecting to install the data on a per-user basis. The only difference is that the dats and drod.ini are automatically copied to the home dir if they are not already there.
This is actually by design. The per-user install option means that each user has their own copy of the data. New users needs to get these data from somewhere, so unmodified data are stored in the original install location to be copied the first time each user runs the game. This obviously means there's some data duplication, but there's not really any way around that with the JtRH system. (TCB will require less duplication).

In any case, DataPath.txt should still be modifiable for use of custom locations, so there is a bug in there. I haven't gotten around to looking at it yet, but I'll try to get it done before the next patch.
All these can be remedied by changing the DROD_2_0_DAT_PATH variable in the drod-jtrh script. Setting the variable manually before running the script is not sufficient (...obviously, because it is redefined whenever you run drod-jtrh).
Thanks for that info!
On a slightly related matter (fits at least the topic header), if you don't choose to install a symbolic link, then you won't be given the option to start the game directly from the installer (the 'Start'-button isn't there). However, if you do choose to install the link, then you will be given the option to run the game even if you install as root.
These are known problems. They bug me too, but there's not much I can do about it without delving into the source code of the install program I'm using (Loki Setup). I've got some plans for the installer, but it's lower priority. In the mean time we'll unfortunately have to live with this.

- Gerry
03-22-2006 at 04:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
mrimer wrote:

...it's not a bug...it's a feature?
03-22-2006 at 04:43 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Banjooie wrote:
mrimer wrote:

...it's not a bug...it's a feature?
Down in front! :tomato

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-22-2006 at 07:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Found the DataPath.txt bug. When DataPath.txt was found, it was checking for the presence of all other data files in the same place, and copied them if they didn't exist (d'oh!). This is fixed in the next patch.

- Gerry
03-23-2006 at 04:14 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Linux DROD-JtRH 2.0.13 un-/installation issues (...and some other things)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com