Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Adding enemies to DROD (as originally asked by ArchMageOmega)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
IP: Logged
icon Adding enemies to DROD (0)  
ArchMageOmega asked this but never got an answer. So I'll ask, cos I'm curious, can you or can you not add new enemies to DROD?
02-24-2006 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: Adding enemies to DROD (+1)  
Theoretically, you can, but it is a long and painful process. You have to compile. As a rule, open-source projects never compile without downloading at least 2 libraries and tweaking the code. Then code modifications are a headache. I wtill want to know hold Mr. Imer does it.
02-24-2006 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Pilchard VIII wrote:
ArchMageOmega asked this but never got an answer. So I'll ask, cos I'm curious, can you or can you not add new enemies to DROD?
You sound like you want a simple answer, so I'll begin with "yes". But there are limitations in how you can add new enemies. Ways it can be done:

1. Change the appearance of existing enemies by modding the tiles. The existing enemies will behave the same way as they did before, but just look different. You'll need players to install your modded graphics to see the change.

2. Use the scripting features of the editor to create new enemy behavior. The problem with this is that you can't really create general behavior--it must be hard-coded reactions to specific events in a single room.

3. Finally, the game is open source, so you could do anything you wanted provided you have the skills and gumption to make your own modified build of DROD. For most people, this is not a practical option.

-Erik

02-24-2006 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
icon Re: Adding enemies to DROD (0)  
Thanks for all of your help, I shall start trying right away, but not before backing up my original files. And ErikH2000, thank you so much for the game that we all know and love. But I gotta ask: I just tried to change the DROD: JtRH music to the original Webfoot DROD, because I stil have the original demo of it, but it keeps comming up with a lot of thudding noises, and it's not letting me change the file type from .Mi_ to .ogg. Any suggestions?

PLEASE REPLY!

[Last edited by Pilchard VIII at 02-24-2006 09:57 PM]
02-24-2006 at 09:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
My suggestion would be to use actual OGG files. We have the whole selection of them on this page.

02-24-2006 at 10:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Ha! You chaos blast is no match to my deadly Page Update of DOOM!

Try the links now - they should work. In fact, they do work, because I just redownloaded them.

02-24-2006 at 10:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Dear Pilchard,

<3,

Banjooie
02-25-2006 at 05:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Ha, Banjooie, your single celled avatar is no match for my super dooper uber mega ultimate animated avatar! Fake Shadow Androids will be eliminated. CHAOS... SPEAR!

02-25-2006 at 06:58 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
okay, I'm assuming this means you *don't* want me to, say, add transparency to that gif so it's not on a white square.

Okay! :D!
02-26-2006 at 05:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
OOOOOH, OH OH OH OH OH! That's what you were getting at! I thought you just copied it for a laugh. I feel a bit of a moron... (>%/

02-27-2006 at 01:40 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Adding enemies to DROD (as originally asked by ArchMageOmega)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com