Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : And now for something...
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
IP: Logged

File: Style1Tiles.zip (2.8 KB)
Downloaded 132 times.
License: Other
icon And now for something... (0)  
...completely different.

A new tileset. It is intentionally horrendous (hey this is a dungeon - prisoners aren't put here to be *happy* :devil) I will accept no responsibility for headaches incurred. YHBW. It replaces the cavern tileset, so you could, if you have the stomach and inclination, playtest it with level 1 of Dugan.

If you want to try it, extract the zipped file into /drod/data/bitmaps/

It will overwrite the cavern tileset, so you might consider renaming Style1Tiles.bmp first, so you've got a backup.

Don't peak, or the surprise will be spoilt :D

My next one will be a little more tasteful. There's not alot to tilesets at the moment, which is kind of a shame. I'd like to be able to do some different floor, wall and object types, just to add a little variety to levels.

One thing I've noticed with my current effort, is it would be much better to have alternating wall types so the pattern I use is not so compact, and to enable breaking it up a little (still just as horrible, but less headache inducing) Perhaps more palatable :P 2x2 or 3x3 different wall types and 1x2 or 1x3 different wall edges (or more) More than 2 floor colours, more than 1 object type... If shadows were seperate from the floor types, the current system of drawing shadow combinations for each floor colour configuration could be removed.

[Edited by StuartK on 07-15-2003 at 04:33 PM]
07-15-2003 at 05:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
lucretia
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
icon Re: And now for something... (0)  
Ow ow ow

My eyes :(
07-15-2003 at 05:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
StuartK
icon Re: Re: And now for something... (0)  
lucretia wrote:
Ow ow ow

My eyes :(

Sorry :( My original intention was to place Beethro in a unique environment, but perhaps I went a little far... I might do some slightly less horrible walls later on :D Suggestions?... This was just my first practice, more for fun than anything else. I'll probably do one or two more, I've got some (better) ideas.
07-15-2003 at 06:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Well, for a start, perhaps walls of one colour rather than about ten? :D At the moment it's really ... loud.

I think you need to contrast the walls and floor a bit more, as they are a bit too similar. Otherwise it's OK, I particularly like the teddies.

"Oook!"
07-15-2003 at 06:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Would be great for a hold named "The Carnival of Death".

07-15-2003 at 06:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
StuartK

File: style1tiles.zip (14.7 KB)
Downloaded 112 times.
icon Re: Re: And now for something... (0)  
krammer wrote:
Well, for a start, perhaps walls of one colour rather than about ten? :D At the moment it's really ... loud.

I think you need to contrast the walls and floor a bit more, as they are a bit too similar. Otherwise it's OK, I particularly like the teddies.

:) I became adept (hah) at transforming 2d art into pseudo-3d in the process. You've got to squash it just right, and move the eyes and ears. Or maybe that just applies to teddies :P I wanted to put them on the floor (looks better) but pedestals made drawing shadows considerably easier, without the drawing errors that occur on some levels. I want there to be a squeaking sound when Beethro bumps into it :D

I think the x4 colour tiles could still look OK, if it weren't for them being so squashed together, and I could somehow stop the wall edge from being so uniform.

Here's a few versions with different colour tiles (I went for the Lego look) I'm not entirely happy with it yet, but my attention span just ran out for now. I'm not a born artist, I have to work at it to get it right.

[Edited by StuartK on 07-15-2003 at 10:34 PM]
07-15-2003 at 11:32 PM
StuartK

File: cell.zip (3.8 KB)
Downloaded 105 times.
Another completely new background (though I took a few shortcuts in creating it - it needs a little fleshing out) I'm quite pleased with this one, though I might change the object image. I had a few ideas, but I didn't want to disurb everyone with my imagination, more than I can possibly avoid :P

It's another bright one, but in a completely different way. Sort of like an antidote to my last efforts. *Much* more relaxing. I actually enjoyed playing level one with this tileset. Yeah, relaxing...
07-16-2003 at 06:57 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : And now for something...
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com