Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : New WonderQuest version Released! (Thread terminated.)
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
googa
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 282
IP: Logged
icon Re: New WonderQuest version Released! (0)  
Got the bug Someone else.

About the non-cumulative secret system RoboBob3000: I would have to change the statistics saving system -_- It means a lot of new work, but the idea is good. The good side is that it forces the player to search for secrets. Instead of waiting to find them another day.

Some keys for smite masters:
Use arrows to scroll the map.
F2 to turn on grid.
use the mouse with the grid turned on to see what happens.
Try moving while pressing left control.
Anyone find useful the lock room function? It’s useful on further levels.

I really need opinions about the curve. I want the game to be playable by anyone. There is still time to change some rooms.

02-10-2006 at 10:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
googa wrote:
Some keys for smite masters:

F2 to turn on grid.
This one I found accidentally myself and had to go to the menu in order to get it off, because I didn't know what I had pressed. Any chance to show different commands somewhere? F1 or something.
Anyone find useful the lock room function? It’s useful on further levels.
Apparently, yes. ;)

Any chance for the game to be playable in window mode? If it won't be implemented, I'll just keep using this external program of mine that does the job for me. I just don't like these always-in-full-screen programs. Like SubTerra. (which can also be ran in window mode with it :))
02-10-2006 at 10:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
googa
Oh, I didn't know about this thread.

My notebook has a native resolution of 1280 x 800. (Widescreen) and it's real bad for gaming, because if you choose a 1024x768 resolution, the pixels aren't displayed correctly. I think I’ll include option for 1280 x 800 and other resolutions. (windowed x fullscreen too).

PS: Try the autolock feature in the options screen. I always set it to 80;
02-10-2006 at 11:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
googa wrote:
Got the bug Someone else.

About the non-cumulative secret system RoboBob3000: I would have to change the statistics saving system -_- It means a lot of new work, but the idea is good. The good side is that it forces the player to search for secrets. Instead of waiting to find them another day.

No, it doesn't. Your current system discourages players from searching from secrets - they basically have the choice of stopping the flow of the gameplay and start looking for secrets instead of continuing to future levels (which is irritating because you want to see what comes next), or else give up on secrets completely. It's a lot easier to just pick the second choice, especially if they happen to find a really boring secret (like the level 1/2 ones) first.

02-11-2006 at 06:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I agree with Eytan, particularly if finding all of the secrets will unlock something at the end. I'm no programmer, but does the secret count neccessarily need to be integrated with the statistics count? Perhaps you can flag levels as "secret found" once the secret is found, and independent of the restore state.

But the real reason I came back to post is a simple level design bug. In level 4, 1n and 1e1n have disagreeing water boundaries, so that the ship can wind up on land when traversing west. Take a look at it and you'll see what I mean.

02-11-2006 at 06:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
googa
Doom wrote:
Any chance for the game to be playable in window mode? If it won't be implemented, I'll just keep using this external program of mine that does the job for me. I just don't like these always-in-full-screen programs. Like SubTerra. (which can also be ran in window mode with it :))

It's Done Doom. You'll be able to change it on the ini file. It'll be available in the next version.

02-11-2006 at 06:38 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Is ther first level supposed to have the screen flash white every once in a while? 'Cause that just freaks me out. I don't think I can play it anymore. :(
02-11-2006 at 12:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Two things:

- You can complete several rooms in level 4 from the wrong direction. The problem is that you can cross 3N2E with a boat over the blue blocks.

- I'm propably going to end up with more than 25 secrets. There's one in every level, right? I'm at level 4 with 7/25. That's because there have been few tunnel rooms leading into actual secret rooms that counted as separate secrets.
02-11-2006 at 02:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
googa
Ezlo wrote:
Is ther first level supposed to have the screen flash white every once in a while? 'Cause that just freaks me out. I don't think I can play it anymore. :(

It happens with me sometimes, but is very rare. Make sure you don’t have programs running in the background. I’m trying to fix this.

Berk bug fixed.

Yes, Doom. But I don’t think this is the best way. I think I’ll make secrets objects to be picked up.

[Last edited by googa at 02-11-2006 06:18 PM]
02-11-2006 at 04:32 PM
googa
icon Re: New WonderQuest version Released! (+1)  
About your cumulative secret system idea RoboBob3000:

It’s done. I thought it was a bit too complex to change it, but no, I did it.
:D

[Last edited by googa at 02-11-2006 08:37 PM]
02-11-2006 at 07:05 PM
Dali
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 174
You said that the files of the new version aren't compatible with the old one. Does it works at least for the players? I arrived in the old version in the 4th level and I don't want to replay all the game. :?
(playing these blocks movements that I hate, exactly like sokoban.)
02-12-2006 at 11:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
googa
The old version files (4 levels) aren't compatible with the new beta 2.0 (15 levels). But from now on, I'll be. The begining of the game has changed a bit, so you wont have to play the same four levels again.
02-12-2006 at 04:38 PM
eytanz
You know, it occurs to me that the relative coordinates of map poisitons makes no sense in wonderquest (i.e., starting the NSEW count from the entrance). It makes sense in DROD because there are no constraints on level shapes, but since all the WQ levels are 5x5 squares, there's no reason against using absolute coordinates, which would simpler to use.

02-12-2006 at 05:06 PM
googa
I made the rooms 5x5 because I want them to look nice in the map. I see now It's not the best solution because of secrets.

Ps:WQ max room count can be 15 x 15 x 50 levels.
02-12-2006 at 05:18 PM
eytanz
Ok, but that's besides the point, unless you are planning to revise the levels again so they're not 5x5. What I'm saying is that it makes no sense for the same room to have different coordinates on different levels just because the level entrance is on different places, if all the levels have the same shape (secrets don't really matter to this, esp. since there's only one per level).

02-12-2006 at 05:23 PM
googa
I think the twice x thrice way is more elegant.
02-12-2006 at 05:29 PM
eytanz
I'm not understanding you, and I'm not sure you are understanding me. More elegant than what? I'm not talking about how to display the coordinates, I'm talking about what the coordinates are. It would seem to me that the most sensible thing for you to have is to decide on an absolute reference point for the coordinates, and us it in all the levels. So, for instance, all the levels could be:

2N2W | 2N1W | 2N | 2N1E | 2N2E
------------------------------
1N2W | 1N1W | 1N | 1N1E | 1N2E
 2W  |  1W  | -- |  1E  |  2E
1S2W | 1S1W | 1S | 1S1E | 1S2E
2S2W | 2S1W | 2S | 2S1E | 2S2E

or:

-- |  1E  |  2E  |  3E  |  4E
1S | 1S1E | 1S2E | 1S3E | 1S4E
2S | 2S1E | 2S2E | 2S3E | 2S4E
3S | 3S1E | 3S2E | 3S3E | 3S4E
4S | 4S1E | 4S2E | 4S3E | 4S4E

Changing the coordinates from level to level makes no sense, since it just means that if I want to report a bug in the corner room, I have to look and see what it's coordinates are, and I can't just tell from the map. In DROD, that's the system because there's no choice, not because it's a good system. There's nothing wrong with having the level entrance sometimes be at 3S.

[Last edited by eytanz at 02-12-2006 05:35 PM]
02-12-2006 at 05:34 PM
googa
Brief: (Im busy) Feel free to ask for hints like: Help needed level 3 x = 1 and y = 5.
02-12-2006 at 05:38 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Just a short question, how do the secrets look like? I still haven't found any.
02-12-2006 at 07:16 PM
googa
I did read in the Architect's Corner articles (Very interesting) that the secrets should be the last thing to be added to the adventure. For now, you will find just a room with a scroll. But it will be improved. On further levels there are actually secret rooms with challenges. I'm coding right now a new secret system, in which you have to pick up a trophy. Don’t bother with secrets for now, you’ll be able to restore and search for them later.

[Last edited by googa at 02-12-2006 09:17 PM]
02-12-2006 at 07:26 PM
cheese obsessive
Rank Points: 219
...so I was AIMing someone today, and then I decided I wanted to play Wonderquest some more. But I couldn't do both at once, because Wonderquest is full screen. It would be REALLY convenient for someone like me who likes to multitask a lot to have a non fullscreen game...and I am pretty sure that won't be too hard to add, right? '

Edit - yeah, I just noticed this has already been suggested. But maybe a higher demand will make it a more worthwhile feature to impliment.

[Last edited by cheese obsessive at 02-13-2006 01:14 AM]
02-13-2006 at 01:13 AM
googa
Already made. Now you can change the ini file to choose sound/nosound, fullscreen/windowed, resolution, etc.
Will be available in the next patch.

[Last edited by googa at 02-13-2006 03:42 AM]
02-13-2006 at 03:41 AM
Fanka
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
A suggestion about the scientist:
Click here to view the secret text

02-13-2006 at 10:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
googa
I can try it. Notice that this weakness can produce some cool puzzles, like L14 - 2N 1W.
02-14-2006 at 02:16 AM
eytanz
Feature request - could you make the swimmable water a differnt color than non swimmable water? Maybe slightly brighter or something? It gets a bit annoying bumping into the hidden edges inside the water...

02-14-2006 at 04:38 AM
googa
I thought about it, but it would reveal some further secrets. I think I will remove the bump effect when swimming.
02-14-2006 at 05:00 AM
RuAdam
Rank Points: 157
The game is great, I really like it.

I noticed some small bugs, but most of them where mentiond already, only two small things:

1. If you stand next to the water and bump to it diagonally then you'll see grass underneath. (I know this is probably the smallest problem, but i thought I mention it)

2. I don't know if it woud be possible, but it woud be nice if the srolls wich give instructions woud have messeges according what you set in the keyboard configuraton (for example: I set space for the battle button, and then a scorr telld me: "Hint: Use the battle button (B)...". On the other hand you woud think that someone who sets custom button config can remember what button is what)
02-14-2006 at 07:55 AM
googa
Thanks RuAdam. :)

1: I think I'll add an option in the ini file to disable the water bump effect. (default = disabled)

2: Hum.. This is a bit complex. I think I can change the scroll text to something like this:
Hint: Use the battle button (Default key: B)...
02-14-2006 at 04:00 PM
eytanz
Eighth level 1E needs a checkpoint somewhere - probably after the door you open with the mimic. It's too easy to make a mistake later on (say, not reaching the door the ball closes in time), and replaying the mimic crossing over and over is tedious.

02-15-2006 at 04:20 AM
googa
I placed one in the bottom-right part of the screen.

02-15-2006 at 04:26 AM
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : New WonderQuest version Released! (Thread terminated.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com