Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : New WonderQuest version Released! (Thread terminated.)
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
googa
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 282
IP: Logged
icon New WonderQuest version Released! (+8)  
Thread terminated.

Download the newest version here.

[Last edited by googa at 06-05-2006 12:12 AM]
02-09-2006 at 12:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: New WonderQuest version Released! (+1)  
I'm very excited! Congratulations!

02-09-2006 at 12:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
This sounds cool! Can't wait to play it! :)
02-09-2006 at 12:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fanka
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
Thank you!!! I've been looking forward to this for ages!
02-09-2006 at 01:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
icon Re: New WonderQuest version Released! (0)  
A couple quick observations:

When starting the game, you can't choose the "fight" or "options" menu until you've created a player. Perhaps the game should prompt you to create a player on your very first launch.

There are a couple of options I'd like to have, maybe I missed these in the menu. I'd like to be able to adjust the key repeat rate (it's disorienting how fast it is now for me) and I'd like to be able to remove the object descriptions when you hover over them with your cursor.

Otherwise, it's looking very pretty! Jax's blood splatter is fantastically overdone!

02-09-2006 at 04:01 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Quick question: If I download it now, and you make changes over the next few weeks, will you just be able to patch them, leaving my progress intact, etc etc? If so, then I'll start playing it now, otherwise I'd prefer waiting until its 100% complete rather than having to replay everything.
02-09-2006 at 04:35 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Ok, just played through the first level. A few comments:

- Learning curve is definitely a lot friendlier now.
- The scrolls are full of misspellings. I'm not sure if you managed to get someone to review your scripts, but I suggest that you do so again before final release, or at least copy/paste them all into Microsoft Word or something and run the spellchecker. I'd volunteer to check the scripts but I'm really busy these days (or I would also play through more levels). Maybe next week I'll have the time.
- I like the changed graphics, though I'm not sure what the monsters are supposed to be anymore - are they still roaches?
- How do you find secret rooms? You should at least give a hint.
- The restore screen isn't very intuitive - it took me a while to realize I need to click on the tiny numbers on the top.

Overall, looks great - I'm looking forward to playing levels 2-24!

[Last edited by eytanz at 02-09-2006 04:43 AM]
02-09-2006 at 04:43 AM
googa
Don't Worry TripleM from now on I will patch the version updates. You will be able to restore it. I just didn't do it before because the older version had only 4 levels.

Some notes about options:
Keyboard delay: Controls how fast your character moves.
Key hold delay: How fast you move a second time when you keep the key pressed.
Press the right mouse button to disable object description.

02-09-2006 at 04:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Question - what does "Movement is 60% funky" mean?

02-09-2006 at 04:47 AM
googa
Yes, roaches. I had a childhood trauma with roaches. It can’t be negotiated.
It’s a matter of lucky to find the secret rooms. There is no visual difference between breakable and non-breakable tiles.
Try the movement 100% funky and 0% funky. You’ll see.
02-09-2006 at 05:01 AM
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
Gooooood....

I've downloaded it, but I must go now. When I reach home this night I'll try it a little (tough I have an exam tomorrow).

Can't wait!
02-09-2006 at 07:57 AM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
New version is great :), but I found one rather annoying and frustrating problem:

When I'm trying to redefine keys on Numpads, I can't move using numpads, instead of this, I can use DIGITS to move :). I tried all combinations of NumLock also. So I cannot set Numpad 5 to wait, which really can be frustrating :?. Any solution? I would be grateful :).

02-09-2006 at 08:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
googa
About the Scrolls:
Watcher helped me, and he did a great job. The problem is that I forgot to include some of the scrolls that are in the beginning of the game in the email I sent him. If anyone find an error, please send me a PM with the text suggestion. All the misspelling errors will be fixed in the final version, or in the next patch. Remember, this is still a beta version.

[Last edited by googa at 02-09-2006 08:55 PM]
02-09-2006 at 08:53 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
The one thing I've noticed about keyboard controls is that if I'm quickly pushing different keys (ie I push up up up left left down all really quickly), half of them end up getting ignored. Does one of the options fix that? I've tried playing around with a key, but can't get it right. In fact, even if you just push a single key several times without holding it down it doesn't work too well.

(I can't see any difference between 0% funky and 100% funky either, what exactly does that do?)

One other 'bug', though it may be deliberate: if you hold down a key, then press undo (spacebar), it undoes all the way back to where you first held down the key, rather than a single undo.

[Last edited by TripleM at 02-09-2006 09:08 PM]
02-09-2006 at 09:07 PM
googa
skell wrote:
New version is great :), but I found one rather annoying and frustrating problem:

When I'm trying to redefine keys on Numpads, I can't move using numpads, instead of this, I can use DIGITS to move :). I tried all combinations of NumLock also. So I cannot set Numpad 5 to wait, which really can be frustrating :?. Any solution? I would be grateful :).

Edit -> You can find the patch here.

[Last edited by googa at 03-03-2006 10:17 PM]
02-09-2006 at 09:12 PM
googa
TripleM wrote:
The one thing I've noticed about keyboard controls is that if I'm quickly pushing different keys (ie I push up up up left left down all really quickly), half of them end up getting ignored. Does one of the options fix that? I've tried playing around with a key, but can't get it right. In fact, even if you just push a single key several times without holding it down it doesn't work too well..
(I can't see any difference between 0% funky and 100% funky either, what exactly does that do?)

One other 'bug', though it may be deliberate: if you hold down a key, then press undo (spacebar), it undoes all the way back to where you first held down the key, rather than a single undo
Weird, is your computer fast? (Press F12 to check the FPS)
The funky movement is a random factor that makes the objects move like dancing. Did you get the groove? You need to set a high smooth movement factor to notice it.

About the undo, it’s intentional. This way you can run with no worries.

[Last edited by googa at 02-09-2006 09:45 PM]
02-09-2006 at 09:28 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Two things: apostrophes (this thing ') appear as boxes, and Numpad 5 ends up only working from regular 5.
02-09-2006 at 09:34 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
googa
coppro wrote:
Two things: apostrophes (this thing ') appear as boxes, and Numpad 5 ends up only working from regular 5.
I think this is because we're using two different keyboards. for example, when I choose '[' in my notebook it works, but when I choose this key in my normal keyboard,it doesn't work.

Level two ok? How is the curve?

[Last edited by googa at 02-09-2006 09:50 PM]
02-09-2006 at 09:43 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
How do you map keys? If you are partially mapping virtual keys, but also partially mapping universal keys, that may cause it.

What I mean is that on some keyboard layouts, the A key sends a different signal. Windows interprets that as an A, but a program can be looking for either. If you aren't consistent, then massive problems ensue.
02-09-2006 at 09:50 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
googa
I'm using DirectX (DxInput). I'll take alook at this.
02-09-2006 at 09:59 PM
Fanka
A few comments so far... I am now at level 7 which I find impossible and I'm totally stuck! First of all I totally love the game so far. Thank you very much.

Now, the buggish things: if you restore to some room and press R (before you have walked on a checkpoint in the room you restored to) it takes you back to the last checkpoint you walked on (which is in a different room). This doesn't seem to be intentional and if it is, I certainly don't like it. I would like it to take you where you restored in the first place.

Some punctuation marks appear as squares in the scrolls. It might be a font issue but since somebody else mentioned it before, i guess it's not just my crappy computer.

Another small thing that's probably my crappy computer's fault this time is that I was having the screen flash periodically in a strange way yesterday when playing wonderquest and also at some point it all crashed and I got a message something like "can't use compile adv file". Restarting the computer fixed it so you shouldn't worry about it.

Now, can you give a hint for level 7? Looks impossible to conquer 1N 1E since there seems to be no way to get to the roach area. Is there something I'm missing? Also, I'm having huge trouble in 4N 1E. Hint please!!!
02-10-2006 at 03:24 AM
googa
Fanka wrote:
A few comments so far... I am now at level 7 which I find impossible and I'm totally stuck! First of all I totally love the game so far. Thank you very much.

Now, the buggish things: if you restore to some room and press R (before you have walked on a checkpoint in the room you restored to) it takes you back to the last checkpoint you walked on (which is in a different room). This doesn't seem to be intentional and if it is, I certainly don't like it. I would like it to take you where you restored in the first place.

Some punctuation marks appear as squares in the scrolls. It might be a font issue but since somebody else mentioned it before, i guess it's not just my crappy computer.

Another small thing that's probably my crappy computer's fault this time is that I was having the screen flash periodically in a strange way yesterday when playing wonderquest and also at some point it all crashed and I got a message something like "can't use compile adv file". Restarting the computer fixed it so you shouldn't worry about it.

Level seven!
Good bug you found for me, I'll fix it.
I think the flashing screen is a bug in my drawpixel routine.
About The message bug: It happened with me two or three times, but it's very rare bug. I'm trying to reproduce it to debug. Please start a new thread when asking for hints.

A quick hint:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by googa at 02-10-2006 04:37 AM]
02-10-2006 at 04:30 AM
Fanka
Thanks for the hint! Already managed 1N 1E! Going for the other one now!

Some more bugs:
If a ball pushes a mimic (fire elemental!) with the result his sword being on the same square as your character you don't die. In other words, mimics don't kill you if a ball makes them do that.

If the scientist is resting on one of those blue/red squares that are used to change character in a room, monsters will not go to the square that is in front of him (occupied by the front part of his "sword") but will go to the square behind him. So they treat the front part of his weapon as an obstacle while the back part as a free square. I think they treat the back part as an obstacle too when the character is active so this is a bit inconsistent.

By the way, I'd like a sound effect when placing a mimic. (Too much DROD I guess...)

[Last edited by Fanka at 02-10-2006 07:02 AM : Changed front to back! You had got the point already though!]
02-10-2006 at 05:51 AM
googa
Both bugs fixed. They will be available in the next patch.

For now I'll use the hero changing sound. :D

You guys feel free to post your progress here.

[Last edited by googa at 02-10-2006 06:29 AM]
02-10-2006 at 06:16 AM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Thanks for the patch :). It solved the problem, but I've found another, very little graphical bug:

I'm actually in first room of 4th level. When you are standing on the door, and you are placed Higher than normal, and you press undo, so you again stand on floor, you are still standing Higher... In other words, go to 4th level, put everything on its places, stand on your "Floor Orb" step right, and press undo: you will see what I mean, if what I said is not too clear :D.

And sometimes, the Undo isn't working, but it is very rare, and I have no idea what may cause it :).

02-10-2006 at 11:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fanka
I'm now at level 9 and really enjoying the game. It's very enjoyable and a few rooms are really challenging already. It certainly isn't too easy. Only rooms I got a bit bored were the very DROD-like ones, like cleaning an area with 6-7 queens or the trapdoor puzzles (done too many of those already!). The guy with the axe is really cool!

I found a strange bug in level 9, 2E 3S (exit):

02-10-2006 at 03:47 PM
eytanz
There seems to be some sort of bug in the room count - mine currently says I've solved 104/102 rooms.

So far, I've solved all the rooms in level 1-3 and all but 4 rooms in level 4; I've also visited the secret rooms in levels 1-2 but not 3 or 4.

Speaking of secret rooms

02-10-2006 at 04:29 PM
googa
Fanka wrote:
I found a strange bug in level 9, 2E 3S (exit):

I tried to reproduce, but I didn't get it. Could you please restore it make the moves until you’re one move to the bug, and then zip your player folder and send me to alienleader – at – gmail.com? By the way, ninth level? Did you sleep last night? Are you feeding yourself properly? :D

Hero elevation bug fixed.

I love DROD trapdoor puzzles. You'll still see some of them.

Some secrets on further levels have also challenges. I managed the game secrets to be found not by brute force, but luckiness or perspicacity. (Like feeling there is something wrong with that room).

I’m fixing the other bugs.

How is the difficulty curve to non-DROD players? Do you guys think it’s too hard for them to play all the game?

02-10-2006 at 06:15 PM
RoboBob3000
I think it's difficult for us to comment on the difficulty curve, being pros of the genre. It does seem to to find clever ways to let the player figure things out for the first time, like a scroll in the proper location to scare out a roach queen in the third level.

One quick gripe (and this is because I'm a spoiled DRODiac) about the secrets. For starters, when you find a secret, it shifts your minimap in the direction of the room, cutting off an entire row or column. I'm assuming all levels will be 5x5, right?

Also, collecting secrets doesn't seem to be done in the same fashion as it seems in DROD. I found the secret in level 1, increasing my counter to 1/25. Then I played until level 4. Then I restored back to level 2 and found that secret. Now, when I restore to the room the secret is attached to in level 2, it says I've collected 2/25 secrets, but if I restore anywhere in level 3 or 4, my counter drops back down to 1/25. This forces the player to find all of the secrets properly the first time through if they ever hope to score 25/25. DROD secrets are always cumulative, regardless of the restore state, and that eliminates the need to replay entire levels.

02-10-2006 at 06:57 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
in level one once west, I ran into the little thing that kills everything, then hit undo, and the archer was gone!
02-10-2006 at 08:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : New WonderQuest version Released! (Thread terminated.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com