Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New hold: The Tomb of Nomb (level 1)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon New hold: The Tomb of Nomb (level 1) (0)  
This is my new hold, The Tomb of Nomb. It is currently incomplete - it only features the first two levels. When new levels will be added, the warp room in level one will allow people who already completed the old levels to go directly to the new ones.

Those of you who played my last hold (the one with the 3 interlocking rooms), the rooms in that hold will be found in levels 3 and 4 of this hold.

Feedback is very welcome - this hold is a bit uneven in difficulty, but shouldn't be too hard overall.

Edit: File was corrupted, and I lost a lot of progress trying to recover it. I'll re-release the hold once I re-assemble it.

[Edited by eytanz on 07-15-2003 at 11:25 AM]

07-14-2003 at 11:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: New hold: The Tomb of Nomb (level 1) (0)  
eytanz wrote:
Because I'm having a bit of trouble with the second level of this hold, I've decided to release it one level at a time (an idea I'd credit to someone else but he seemed to have deleted it - so I'm not sure I ought to).

:D

That really was me this time: http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=830 . Not deleted, just slipped down the page a bit. I don't blame you though...it took me a while to find it, I had forgotten I had created a whole new topic for it.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-14-2003 at 11:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
It's my turn now...:D

There's a small bug in 1N, or 1N 1W.

How do you get back to the entrance from these rooms?

07-14-2003 at 11:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Aargh. Thanks! - those were the two first rooms I created, and there originally was another exit from 1N1W - I later removed it, and forgot that the fact that it didn't change the solvability of 1N1W didn't mean that couldn't introduce a problem...

07-15-2003 at 12:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
eytanz wrote:
Because I'm having a bit of trouble with the second level of this hold, I've decided to release it one level at a time (an idea I'd credit to someone else but he seemed to have deleted it - so I'm not sure I ought to). In any case, once the next levels are completed (level 3 almost is, actually), I will release them both as singles (so people won't have to repeat played levels) and I will create a unified version.

Perhaps stating the obvious, but for anyone using such a strategy, I'd suggest coming up with a consistent naming strategy, and sticking to it. Hold management is going to becoming an increasing problem. Holds (and levels) without version numbers in the filename suck by default ;) :D

[Edited by StuartK on 07-14-2003 at 11:53 PM]
07-15-2003 at 12:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Partially in response to the above post, I've decided to revise my release program. Instead of releasing one level at a time, I'm adding an additional level which will serve as the entrance. This level will have an easily accessible warp in it which will allow skipping of levels which were included in previous releases. This seems to me to be a less confusing way of doing stuff, since there will always only be one current version, while allowing players to skip levels they already played. I'll also be more careful about testing each level as a whole rather than just the individual rooms within it before release.

[Edited by eytanz on 07-15-2003 at 02:50 AM]

07-15-2003 at 02:49 AM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
1W also seems to only allow one way travel. After solving it and moving to 1W1S theres no way back to the entrance.
07-15-2003 at 03:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Okay, version 2.0. is now released (download above). It contains the following differences:

- Adds a whole new entrance level; it's a rather easy level. This level contains a warp room, which in future releases will allow to skip completed levels. Since at the moment it only allows to skip the new level, I won't reveal it's location (not that it's that difficult to find).

- Fixes the bug where you can't return from 1W on the (now) second level after solving it.

[Edited by eytanz on 07-15-2003 at 10:56 AM]

07-15-2003 at 10:55 AM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
It won't import into Build 29, the file is corrupted.

"Oook!"
07-15-2003 at 10:57 AM
eytanz
That it is. And when I tried to repair it, I somehow managed to corrupt my data files. I have an old backup which works, but it doesn't have the new level in it, and I don't have any version with it that I can work from.

I don't really feel like redoing all my work at the moment so I guess it will be a couple of days before I re-release this hold. Sorry for the inconveience, everyone.

Those of you who have the old version, which is unsolvable but still allows access to all the rooms - let me know what you think of them, and I can incorporate your feedback into the next version.

07-15-2003 at 11:24 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New hold: The Tomb of Nomb (level 1)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com