Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Rating Poll Suggestions
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2486
IP: Logged
icon Rating Poll Suggestions (+2)  
Some suggestions for the Rating Poll type.

* To prevent accidental voting, a warning if you have a "1" vote.

eg "Warning! You have given 5 ratings of 1! Are you sure you want to do this, you big meanie?"

(Another option: instead of the ratings defaulting to 1, default to a special "Select Score" option and don't allow voting unless all questions are voted on)

* Ranked Summary display

eg
Favourite Vowel Results
1. A: 9.25
2. O: 8.5
3. U: 5.75
3. Y: 5.75
5. E: 4
6. I: 2.75

Actually, it might be preferable to have the summary as the normal display, with a link to a page with the bar graphs on it. Maybe only if there's more than one Rating question in the poll.

* Speaking of the bar graphs, it would be nice if they were all to the same scale, rather than each to their own. Currently an option that has 1 vote each from 1-10 looks like it has way more votes that one with has 10 votes of 5.
01-29-2006 at 06:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: Rating Poll Suggestions (0)  
Yeah, what he said. Also: does it make sense to have an "abstain" option? If, for instance, I find a hold in a competition just too hard to play, can I say "no vote" which then isn't counted? (It may not make sense.)
01-30-2006 at 01:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Rating Poll Suggestions (+1)  
Tahnan wrote:
Yeah, what he said. Also: does it make sense to have an "abstain" option? If, for instance, I find a hold in a competition just too hard to play, can I say "no vote" which then isn't counted? (It may not make sense.)
Just click "view results" while logged in.

01-30-2006 at 05:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2460
Jatopian wrote:
Tahnan wrote:

No, no, abstain from one question, not all of them.
01-30-2006 at 01:59 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Rating Poll Suggestions (+1)  
Tahnan wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
Tahnan wrote:

No, no, abstain from one question, not all of them.

No, that's deliberately not allowed - voting is only fair if you can compare all candidates. If you're only allowed to vote for some, what prevents you from voting only for your own candidate and not even playing the others? In most contests, even if you can't complete the holds being compared, you should play enough of them to form an opinion.

01-30-2006 at 02:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5413
icon Re: Rating Poll Suggestions (+2)  
eytanz wrote:
No, that's deliberately not allowed - voting is only fair if you can compare all candidates. If you're only allowed to vote for some, what prevents you from voting only for your own candidate and not even playing the others? In most contests, even if you can't complete the holds being compared, you should play enough of them to form an opinion.
While it's true that we want people to vote for all entries in a contest, for polls in general I think this wouldn't be a bad option, and we can use it to emphasize that you need to vote for all entries in the official contests.

So, I think we (I) should:

- Start all polls with nothing selected - for the rating type, add a "Select Score" option as Rabscuttle mentioned.

- Allow poll creators to choose whether or not all questions must be answered.

Thus, for contest polls, we can ensure that nobody votes their own entry as 10 and "forgets" to vote for the others, giving them all 1s - they'd have to actively choose 1 for all of the others, which would hopefully at least make them feel bad. :P

I like Rabscuttle's ranked summary page idea - contest results are usually very unwieldy.

01-31-2006 at 04:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Yes, that does sound like the best of all possible worlds, and since it's you writing it, I don't have to feel bad about it being more work for you. Yay!

01-31-2006 at 01:00 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Rating Poll Suggestions
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com