Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Level Editor This topic has been locked
New Topic New Poll
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1721
IP: Logged
icon Level Editor (0)  
I thought we should have a section for this, and what we think it\'ll be like/be able to do. Or possibly even when it\'ll be out.

02-05-2003 at 01:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
icon Re: Level Editor (0)  
Good idead. I think we should also have a section for things we want added to DROD in future updates.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
02-05-2003 at 02:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
I can create new sections on the forum, just put ideas for some here, If I deem them worthy, I\'ll make \'em.

Good day.
02-05-2003 at 02:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Mikko
Rank Points: 276
When I first heard there was going to be a level editor, I started to design level maps, but ran out of colour codes for all the monsters and other objects after a while. It also become difficult to search for design flaws without being able to test them.
02-05-2003 at 10:15 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5054

File: poinsettia.png (596.8 KB)
Downloaded 132 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Re: Level Editor (0)  
Mikko wrote:
When I first heard there was going to be a level editor, I started to design level maps, but ran out of colour codes for all the monsters and other objects after a while. It also become difficult to search for design flaws without being able to test them.
Keep those maps! I'm dying for us to finish up the last few coding tasks so we can release the editor. Cross your fingers, it'll be here soon.

POINSETTIA

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-05-2008 12:48 AM]
02-07-2003 at 08:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
Malarame
Rank Points: 220
Has there been any final decision made on how user-created levels are going to be distributed?

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
02-07-2003 at 09:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Malarame wrote:
Has there been any final decision made on how user-created levels are going to be distributed?
Your rooms and levels go into a hold. You export the hold to a file. Then maybe you e-mail that file to Clayton so he can put it up on DROD.net, or put the file up on your own web page if you have one. People download the file and import it into DROD. Your hold can then be selected for play.

The original 25 levels are in a hold called \"Dugan\'s Dungeon\", and there is a new button to pick which hold you want to play.

In the future I would like to keep the file importing/exporting features, but also make it possible to publish and receive new holds on the internet all from within DROD. That may be a while, though.

-Erik

02-07-2003 at 09:45 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
What about the new elements and monsters for DROD?

Perhaps we should have a new type of file (maybe something like *dmc - DROD Monster Creation) to store coded data on particular features such as appearance, behaviour, uses, etc. and then by just placing them in a special folder where the editor can find the files, it can read it and allow you to use the \"creation\".

Is this a good idea?

Wesley Chua

02-20-2003 at 08:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
ErikH2000
agaricus5 wrote:
Perhaps we should have a new type of file (maybe something like *dmc - DROD Monster Creation) to store coded data on particular features such as appearance, behaviour, uses, etc. and then by just placing them in a special folder where the editor can find the files, it can read it and allow you to use the \"creation\".
This is to allow users to customize and create monsters themselves?

There isn\'t anything wrong with this idea. I think DROD would probably be better with this feature than without. The trouble is that it would be months of work to code up something good and get it tested properly.

At the same time, the project is open source and open to including user-submitted patches. The most powerful tool for creating customized monsters is to get the source and write some C++ code. Admittedly, this is also very difficult for people to do if they aren\'t C++ programmers, but anything else that is provided to author monsters is redundant and less powerful.

You can get into different types of monster customization--they tend to lay at different points on the spectrum of ease-of-use and ability-to-express. I think some type of programming language is needed (i.e. like MESH) to do a good job of defining interesting behaviour for a monster, and writing that into DROD is a lot of work.

At the other end of the spectrum you can have a very simple, easy-to-use, non-programming interface. But I think the monsters possible with this interface are going to be samey and lack innovation, so the feature falls flat.

-Erik

02-21-2003 at 07:40 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
I just wanted to say that I like the word \"samey\".
Good day.

02-21-2003 at 08:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores
imrdy88
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
This is soooo farfetched buy how bout a sortof \"sim, drod mix\", like create a monster sortof thing...or create a beethro....just a suggestion...

02-22-2003 at 06:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts
ErikH2000
imrdy88 wrote:
This is soooo farfetched buy how bout a sortof \"sim, drod mix\", like create a monster sortof thing...or create a beethro....just a suggestion...
I dunno, fella. It sounds like a completely different game--maybe a good one. With DROD, I try to stay true to the original design--puzzles with predictable elements.

But there are a lot of cool sim-like things you can do with a tile-based game like DROD. I have had thoughts about characters that make specific demands about what a dungeon should be like, and as the player you must satisfy them by editing the dungeon. Not that this hasn\'t been done, (Dungeon Keeper comes to mind) but in my version it would be more puzzle-like. \"I don\'t want any corridors with left turns,\" says the tenant. I wouldn\'t change DROD to be like this, though. It would be a new game.

As far as changing the properties of Beethro and the monsters: Yeah, that could be fun too. I\'m particularly intrigued with networked games where the world keeps going without you on a server someplace. I think these kinds of changes are best designed into a fresh game, instead of adding to an existing one.

-Erik

03-04-2003 at 11:05 PM
New Topic New Poll
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Level Editor This topic has been locked
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com