Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Patches perk for subscribers (Patch update notice on the scroll we get live in game.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
techant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 854
IP: Logged
icon Patches perk for subscribers (0)  
I really like the scroll updates, just took a look at the new drod.carvelgames.net website, wow great job. But, I always seem to get my patch notices by accident. Can we put that in the scroll too. Then I can just click and go get it when it is updated. :D

[Last edited by techant at 01-26-2006 03:59 AM]
01-26-2006 at 03:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Patches perk for subscribers (0)  
Generally, patches are announced in the scroll bar, and there is a link. But it's usually only up for a few days or a week, and then a contest or something supplants it. ;) So I'd say the feature request would be more to always have a link to the latest patch up, just append it to the end of whatever the current news item.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-26-2006 at 04:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Also one on the forums right here.
01-26-2006 at 04:19 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
icon Re: Patches perk for subscribers (+1)  
It's actually possible to send different scroll-messages based on the version you are running - i.e. it would be possible to KEEP the 'patch upgrade...' message (maybe prepended/appended to the game news etc.) for people running old versions, and then just the game news etc. for people running the latest version.

In other words, there is no real reason to remove the 'patch upgrade...' message from it at all really, for those that need it

[Last edited by jamie at 01-26-2006 06:36 AM]
01-26-2006 at 06:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
Rank Points: 854
I have never noticed a patch update, that I can remember, on the scroll bar so leaving it would be a good idea. That doesn't mean that it was not there I just don't play every day. I am glad it is there already for some of the time, so all the time and on the forum in a section easy to check would be good as well.

Usually when I have checked the download page in the past it has taken me a while to figure out which is the newest patch for XP. So, I gave up just checking the download page. :w00t

01-27-2006 at 02:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Maybe Erik? Mike? (whoever is in charge of the Caravelnet code, anyway) could add a "Check for Updates" option somewhere, which opens a browser window in case it finds an update?

After all, the game itself should know best which version it is... :)

(Hey, if Civilization 4 can do it (and fail :D)...)

[Last edited by Briareos at 01-27-2006 07:17 AM]
01-27-2006 at 07:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Briareos wrote:
Maybe Erik? Mike? (whoever is in charge of the Caravelnet code, anyway)
Schik does most of the CaravelNet stuff, actually. Mike does almost all of the rest of the programming. Erik does mostly music, art, story, marketing, and human resources. ;)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-27-2006 at 07:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
icon Re: Patches perk for subscribers (+1)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
Erik does mostly music, art, story, marketing, and human resources. ;)

Hmm, human ressources... Why do I get a picture of Erik directing all the Caravel crew with his mouse, repeatedly clicking on them so they say something funny?

Don't ask why "human ressources" is related to RTS in my odd mind.
01-27-2006 at 09:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Oneiromancer wrote:
Briareos wrote:
Maybe Erik? Mike? (whoever is in charge of the Caravelnet code, anyway)
Schik does most of the CaravelNet stuff, actually.
Hey now - getting 2 out of 2 wrong isn't _that_ bad, is it? :D

Alneyan wrote:
Hmm, human ressources...
Well, if you literally translate it into German[2] you'll get "Menschenmaterial"[1], which is sooo wrong in it's own right... :)

[1] as in "building material", but with humans...
[2] which I of course deliberately do most of the time... :devil

01-27-2006 at 11:21 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Patches perk for subscribers (Patch update notice on the scroll we get live in game.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com