Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Mafia for DRODiacs (A structured game for once!)
Page 1 of 12
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
IP: Logged
icon Mafia for DRODiacs (+3)  
The rules backing mafia are very simple, but the games can get quite complex.

Rules:
Click here to view the secret text

Active Players:

Dead Players:

Replacements:

Remember, this game is a diplomacy. Lie. Tell the truth. Run for Prime Minister. I don't care. Just don't ask me to change the rules.

[Last edited by coppro at 02-14-2006 11:29 PM]
01-25-2006 at 04:18 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Mafia for DRODiacs (0)  
Sounds... interesting. I'll sign up.

01-25-2006 at 04:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Mafia for DRODiacs (+1)  
Previous conferring-between-several-people games haven't worked too well, but I'm in.
01-25-2006 at 07:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Put me down for it.

01-25-2006 at 07:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
I've played this before. It's a very fun game. Sign me up.

01-25-2006 at 11:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
Sorry, but I don't get it.

During night,mafiates chose one person to die. And then he/she/it dies, except if the Bodyguard covers him. The Policeman can learn about someone's role.

During the day, all people vote for someone to die. And then he/she/it dies. Then all people know his/her/its role.

And then, back to night.

What's the point of the Policeman? Can people tell what is their role? Do people know who has the Bodyguard covered? When someone dies during the night, do citizens learn about his/her/its role?
01-25-2006 at 12:33 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I LOVE this game! Count me in!
01-25-2006 at 12:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
I'm in... what exactly is the goal of the game? How does each group win?

01-25-2006 at 01:17 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
I apologise to coppro if any of this is wrong - there are many variants on mafia, but I suspect the following will be correct.

Townspeople win by lynching all the mafia. Mafia win by killing enough townspeople that they have a majority.

The policeman is on the side of the town, so he can try to convince people who to lynch - but of course if he comes out claiming he is the cop then he is likely to be a mafia target at night. Similarly the bodyguard is on the side of the town.

Roles always become clear after a death, whether by mafia or by lynching.

Oh - and add me in, 'tis a fun game.

"Oook!"
01-25-2006 at 01:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Swivel
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 236
Mafia is my favorite card game. I'd like to be in. Every rule you could imagine is here:

http://www.princeton.edu/~mafia/rules.htm

There are many, many variations. I disagree with krammer when he says that:
Roles always become clear after a death, whether by mafia or by lynching.
I've played both ways, and I think that it's a lot more fun if you don't learn the identity of the person. Of course, this is up to coppro.

Second of all, this involves logic (this is why I love it!). You are allowed to lie about who you are. You just need to be careful not to contradict yourself. By the way, can an accused party make a statement in their defense? I've heard some touching defenses in my days of playing this game. (Not something like, "I'll give all who vote for me a negative mod point if I'm killed!") I also assume that the bodyguard can protect his/her own body every night. This can be a way of saying, "Hah! I'm the Bodyguard, and the Mafia can't touch me!"

Third, I was hoping that coppro could add a DROD related tint to this game. For example, "So and so was walking across an Ephelnan field when wraithwings attacked! However, it became clear that spiders where there too -- a fatal tactical flaw. All knew that so and so was killed in an organized attack by the Mafia! Discuss, townspeople of Dugandy."

01-25-2006 at 02:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Sounds like fun. I'm in.

Just one question .. You say that voting closes as soon as majority is reached. When there's only one vote, there's a 100% majority, so I'm assuming everyone who's alive has to vote first :). What happens if someone doesn't vote before the end of the Day, and there's no majority without this vote ? (Well, I guess we can worry about that if it ever happens ..).

- Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 01-25-2006 03:53 PM]
01-25-2006 at 03:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Majority of possible votes, not majority of votes cast. That is, when over 50% of the population agree then the vote is passed, even if the other 50% haven't yet voted (because they can't get a majority).

"Oook!"
01-25-2006 at 04:00 PM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
A question on replacements. Maybe I'm misreading the rules, but wouldn't replacing people give away information that shouldn't be given away?

The way I read the rules, replacements from the "pool" come in for a) people who communicate where they shouldn't and b) people who ask to be removed. Now let's hope this rule won't be needed (i.e. that nobody cheats, and that everyone can play who wants to so there are no replacements); but if it is, wouldn't any replacement coming in for someone who didn't ask to drop out be known as non-mafia?

Also,
coppro wrote:
Rules:
Every night, the mafiates will confer on who to kill. In case of a disagreement, the leader (who will be replaced if he dies) will always get the final choice. [...]
After every death, it will be made clear what role they had.
Since any "pool" replacement for a known mafioso would presumably just be lynched the first day, and since
krammer suspected:
Townspeople win by lynching all the mafia.
I assume that's "replaced by one of the remaining mafiosi without telling any outsiders about it", not "replaced from the pool", right? This should be clarified, methinks.
01-25-2006 at 04:45 PM
Swivel
Znirk wrote:
A question on replacements. Maybe I'm misreading the rules, but wouldn't replacing people give away information that shouldn't be given away?

The way I read the rules, replacements from the "pool" come in for a) people who communicate where they shouldn't and b) people who ask to be removed. Now let's hope this rule won't be needed (i.e. that nobody cheats, and that everyone can play who wants to so there are no replacements); but if it is, wouldn't any replacement coming in for someone who didn't ask to drop out be known as non-mafia?

Also,
coppro wrote:
Rules:
Every night, the mafiates will confer on who to kill. In case of a disagreement, the leader (who will be replaced if he dies) will always get the final choice. [...]
After every death, it will be made clear what role they had.
Since any "pool" replacement for a known mafioso would presumably just be lynched the first day, and since
krammer suspected:
Townspeople win by lynching all the mafia.
I assume that's "replaced by one of the remaining mafiosi without telling any outsiders about it", not "replaced from the pool", right? This should be clarified, methinks.
If coppro's talking about the "godfather" version of Mafia, then I assume that all of the Mafia will have a given hierarchy (Like 1st Slayer - 6th Slayer; if one is killed, the previous one takes his place) and that the Mafia will follow the same pattern as the Empire.

By the way, I advocate completely DRODifying this game of Mafia.
01-25-2006 at 05:36 PM
coppro
Okay, let me run through this:

Bombadil: The Police Officer is on the town's side.

For all: The town win when they destroy the mafia, the mafia win when they are 50% or more (some people play to more than 50%, but if you do the math it doesn't matter. As soon as they have 50% they will win because they cannot have a majority against them.

krammer is correct in just about every respect

Swivel, this will be DROD themed. I'm running this as a pilot project to see if there is enough interest for a role-based game, where everyone has a special ability.

Znirk, I don't quite understand, but what I think I need to say is this: Whether or not they will be replaced from the pool or taken right out is up to my discretion. If they give important info away, they may be removed. And yes, the leader will be replaced by a fellow mafioso.

The mafia has no hierarchy. I was thinking about it, but it will be easier just to select the new don randomly.

I will clarify the rules, and add the following addendum: (As soon as I remember what it is O:-)

Also, remember that this is mostly a diplomacy. If you play well, luck will be little of a factor.

Note that if you posted but didn't offer indication of joining, you are not in. You may or may not want to post your intention to join.
01-25-2006 at 11:25 PM
Chaco
I also would like a DRODish version :)

01-26-2006 at 12:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
forrestfire
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
I'll join.

01-26-2006 at 02:15 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
I'll join
01-26-2006 at 03:48 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
coppro,

I'm going to drop out. Someone has expressed concern that since I could view and/or change votes, it would not be fair. So to make sure nobody has anything to worry about, I'll just watch from the sidelines.

01-26-2006 at 06:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
They still have to worry about me .. So, I guess I'll drop out too. Oh well. Have fun, everyone!

- Gerry
01-26-2006 at 07:08 AM
The Stew Boy
Rank Points: 247
I'll join, although I'm still a bit confused about lynching.
01-26-2006 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Swivel
Well, when you lynch someone, it means that you kill them (traditionally by burning and hanging them.)

Wait, that's not what you meant?

When someone is lynched in the game of Mafia, they are out of the game. They cannot talk (or, in this case, post). They are simply "out" and unable to participate.

In the physical version of Mafia, the lynched generally stay around and find out who the Mafia are because they don't have to close their eyes when the the rest of the townspeople go to sleep.

[Last edited by Swivel at 01-27-2006 02:09 AM]
01-27-2006 at 02:08 AM
Chaco
I believe Dugandy (or any other Eighth town we're playing in) has sufficient technology to accommodate the traditional burning at the stake.

[Last edited by Chaco at 01-27-2006 02:24 AM]
01-27-2006 at 02:24 AM
coppro
Well, we're still looking a little short here. Cmon, generate some entheusiasm!

Also, I finally remembered:

Addendum: After each lynch, the lynched player has at least 24 hours, or until everyone has sent their targets in to post a final speech.
01-27-2006 at 03:31 AM
Swivel
Chaco wrote:
I believe Dugandy (or any other Eighth town we're playing in) has sufficient technology to accommodate the traditional burning at the stake.
Oh, but why burn someone at a stake when you can kill someone with flamboyant custom floors?
01-27-2006 at 03:09 PM
Chaco
Throw them in the dungeon and let the roaches get them.

01-27-2006 at 04:58 PM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
I'll join.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
01-28-2006 at 06:22 PM
coppro
Anyone else? Anyone at all?
01-29-2006 at 03:32 AM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
I suggest that we let Schik and trick in again, partially because they're nice guys and wouldn't do anything immoral, and partially because we would reach the 12 players limit and start playing already.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
01-30-2006 at 05:50 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Nillo wrote:
I suggest that we let Schik and trick in again, partially because they're nice guys and wouldn't do anything immoral, and partially because we would reach the 12 players limit and start playing already.

Besides, if we didn't trust them, we'd lynch them first.

01-30-2006 at 06:10 PM
Page 1 of 12
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Mafia for DRODiacs (A structured game for once!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com