Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : The new site
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
IP: Logged
icon Re: The new site (0)  
jamie wrote:
Please fix the horrible blob that appears over the text on the right of the window...

Details were posted a while back by "watcher", here: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=7163

Great, that's MUCH better. Cheers... Can you also arrange for it to be done to the main www site too ? Same situation. Cheers!

[Last edited by jamie at 01-29-2006 02:38 PM]
01-29-2006 at 02:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: The new site (+1)  
jamie wrote:
jamie wrote:
Please fix the horrible blob that appears over the text on the right of the window...

Details were posted a while back by "watcher", here: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=7163

Great, that's MUCH better. Cheers... Can you also arrange for it to be done to the main www site too ? Same situation. Cheers!
For the record, I'd love to fix it how Watcher described, but... it's not quite that simple. So I just made the background bitmap wider. In fact, I should make it wider than it is because on my widescreen LCD I can still see ugliness if I make my browser full-screen (which I never do...)

01-29-2006 at 02:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
Ah Ok, my apologies.

Thanks anyway! I'd mod you up, if I had the rank points ;)

Incidently, I wonder if it's worth setting "background-repeat: repeat-y;" anyway with a 'close approximation' set for the background colour.. It won't fix the problem, but at least if someone does have a 10,000 pixel wide screen, they'll get a 'pure grey' background rather than 'the blob'

Just a thought!

Cheers,
Jamie

01-29-2006 at 03:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Swivel
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 236
By the way, from where can I get magic rank points?

[Last edited by Swivel at 01-29-2006 11:26 PM : For what is this edit?]
01-29-2006 at 11:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
Barter with a very untrustworthy forum member.

01-30-2006 at 02:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
-For all of those people interested, I finally got enough enthusiasm to create a news article for the site. Be sure to read the premiere of Life in the Basement.
Oof. I read that, and only then realised exactly what I was looking at. Yes, indeed, I rather hate having to do so much work; the site looks cool enough that I almost wanted to swap working on it for my homework (although I just can't do that, for obvious reasons).

I will attempt to make a sustained effort to continue things now the exams are over (I admit I'm not the best when it comes to sustained efforts, but with enough self-poking, ignition eventually occurs). It should also be noted that I really do feel bad right now - I haven't done much site stuff, and I nearly missed a contest (why can't I manage my DRODistic responsibilities properly?), which is making me feel terrible. Also, I spotted one of my unfinished articles published on the site, which is making me feel a bit unprofessional too.

*Goes off to wallow in guilt and survey the website*

01-30-2006 at 11:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
The new site wrote:
Tar is vulnerable at its edges, but is unable to be destroyed at the edges.

I know it's a work in progress, but that's pretty funny.

02-06-2006 at 10:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Swivel
I miss the alternate text for images in the "Executive Operations" article. Remember that? It was either something funny that Erik wrote or a joke of interesting taste by Matt Cramp.
02-08-2006 at 02:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Man, I didn't even notice all those alternate text boxes. They're hil-arious! Erik's fully responsible for them.

02-08-2006 at 04:05 AM
Swivel
In KDD Level Descriptions, clicking on hypertext for monsters leads one to DROD.net. Is this intended?
02-09-2006 at 05:23 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Crap! That article shouldn't even be up!

02-09-2006 at 09:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Swivel
(Here I am again, playing forum posting ping-pong.)

Are the pages meant to have titles that describe their content? I mean, all of the pages have the same title. I’m a stranger to PHP, so I don’t know if it’s possible.

02-10-2006 at 05:29 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I just noticed that Deadly Browser of Death is still linking to the old site. Is it easy to change that with the next patch or something?
Swivel wrote:
Are the pages meant to have titles that describe their content? I mean, all of the pages have the same title. I’m a stranger to PHP, so I don’t know if it’s possible.
The old site didn't have any specific titles either. Is that a major flaw in your opinion?
02-12-2006 at 09:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I wonder why the "Architect's Corner" page ( http://www.drod.net/Architects/index.html )
has been changed into "Articles - Building" ( http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewsiteboard.php?b=47 ).

Does it mean that the "b=47" part can be changed? Should I link my New Architects FAQ there?

-- Tim

PS. Why does the "(" disappears when I put it directly in front of a valid link? example: http://drod.net)

[Last edited by Tim at 02-12-2006 10:51 PM]
02-12-2006 at 10:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Swivel
You should also note that the Ab(Use) of Tar and Mud says that
Unlike tar, mud has no stable forms
but the article on mud says that
“Stable mud itself is a breeze, as there is no way that you can have an uncuttable piece of it.
Obviously you're talking about 2 different meanings, but still it's a little ambiguous.

02-13-2006 at 05:33 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
All information below applies to Firefox 1.0.x, because that's the browser I'm using (funny how that works).

Menu items that expand have a text cursor, making it unclear that you can click on them to expand them. Confused me for a second.

While viewing news, click on Screenshots to expand the menu item, and then click on Stories. Seems window.navigate is not a function. You must click on Stories a second time to actually go there. The javascript error occurs in any similar situation, but in all other instances I tested the browser recovered and continued anyway.

References -> Characters: Shouldn't Halph be there too? And Beethro?

References -> Game Elements: Is empty.

That's what I've got.

02-17-2006 at 07:10 AM
agaricus5
DiMono wrote:
References -> Characters: Shouldn't Halph be there too? And Beethro?
Actually, those particular articles are there. They're just not published yet, so you can't see them (we're still very in progress). I think a timeline and other assorted canon need to go up first before we can publish those articles.

This is, however truly empty, since I haven't got any canon for most objects. Of course, I could search the records and... shall we say... infer information, but that might not be a good idea, since I may end up being flawlessly consistent.

Tim wrote:
I wonder why the "Architect's Corner" page http://www.drod.net/Architects/index.html)
has been changed into "Articles - Building" http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewsiteboard.php?b=47 ).
That's part of the site restructuring. Articles on the game and very related things are grouped together under "Articles", and subdivided into "General", "Playing", and "Building" articles dependent on content.

Does it mean that the "b=47" part can be changed? Should I link my New Architects FAQ there?
That would probably be a good idea. Also, if you want, I think we can turn the New Architects' Faq into a site article if you give us the permission to do so. We'd perhaps need to make a few edits as well if anything has changed in DROD, but we'll let you know so you can edit your Forum thread too.

02-17-2006 at 01:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
agaricus5 wrote:
That would probably be a good idea. Also, if you want, I think we can turn the New Architects' Faq into a site article if you give us the permission to do so. We'd perhaps need to make a few edits as well if anything has changed in DROD, but we'll let you know so you can edit your Forum thread too.
You know, if gamer asked me for permission six months ago, I would have had given permission.

Oh wait, he did ask me, and I've already given the permission six months ago ;)

-- Tim

[Last edited by Tim at 02-17-2006 02:03 PM]
02-17-2006 at 02:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
agaricus5 wrote:
This is, however truly empty, since I haven't got any canon for most objects. Of course, I could search the records and... shall we say... infer information, but that might not be a good idea, since I may end up being flawlessly consistent.

Most of it hasn't ever been written down, or was written down in places that aren't easy to compile (such as the JtRH level intros).

Actually, that's a good point - Wesley - were you ever given the full collection of JtRH level intros? I know you've seen them all in JtRH, but I can send you all of them as a text file so that you can copy&paste from them and such.

02-17-2006 at 03:12 PM
agaricus5
Tim wrote:
You know, if gamer asked me for permission six months ago, I would have had given permission.

Oh wait, he did ask me, and I've already given the permission six months ago ;)
Hmm...

Well, in my defense, I'm not Patrick, so I didn't actually know about your permission agreement with him until now. In that case, if you want, I can give it a check and put it up onto the site now.

eytanz wrote:
Most of it hasn't ever been written down, or was written down in places that aren't easy to compile (such as the JtRH level intros).
That's very interesting. Is a lot of the canon then word-of-mouth (or email, as the case may be)?

Actually, that's a good point - Wesley - were you ever given the full collection of JtRH level intros? I know you've seen them all in JtRH, but I can send you all of them as a text file so that you can copy&paste from them and such.
That would be a very good idea, since I don't have the level intros anywhere, and as you imply, it would be a bit of a hassle extracting them from JtRH manually.

02-17-2006 at 04:37 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
agaricus5 wrote:
eytanz wrote:
That's very interesting. Is a lot of the canon then word-of-mouth (or email, as the case may be)?
Heh, no, there are various private forums for the development of the sequels, and there are also some repositories of knowledge that are only accessible by those who are allowed. I seem to recall Eytan posting a preliminary version of the level intros in the original JtRH development board, so he could probably copy and paste from there, if they haven't changed much. Also, anyone with editing rights to JtRH can export the speech from in-game, which includes the level entrance texts. (Hopefully that is what Eytan was going to do instead of copying and pasting each one from the editor screen...)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-17-2006 at 04:45 PM
Tim
agaricus5 wrote:
Well, in my defense, I'm not Patrick, so I didn't actually know about your permission agreement with him until now. In that case, if you want, I can give it a check and put it up onto the site now.
You can do anything you want with it, as I have some health problems I need to address first...

-- Tim :cold

02-17-2006 at 05:33 PM
eytanz
Oneiromancer wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
eytanz wrote:
Heh, no, there are various private forums for the development of the sequels, and there are also some repositories of knowledge that are only accessible by those who are allowed. I seem to recall Eytan posting a preliminary version of the level intros in the original JtRH development board, so he could probably copy and paste from there, if they haven't changed much. Also, anyone with editing rights to JtRH can export the speech from in-game, which includes the level entrance texts. (Hopefully that is what Eytan was going to do instead of copying and pasting each one from the editor screen...)

Game on,

Actually, I realized after I posted that I no longer have dev rights for JtRH (having deleted the dev versions). But I think the forum posting is more-or-less up to date, so I'll check to see if there are no relevant changes and send it to Wesley later.

02-17-2006 at 07:01 PM
eytanz
agaricus5 wrote:
eytanz wrote:

No, I was specifically talking about the canon which would fit into that section of the site - i.e., game elements excluding monsters, characters, and story elements. There's far better established canon about all that.

02-17-2006 at 07:04 PM
agaricus5
Tim wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
You can do anything you want with it, as I have some health problems I need to address first...

-- Tim :cold
The article is now up on the site, if anyone is interested.

Edit: Tim, the layout is slightly different on the site compared to the forum, so if you want to change how you've emphasised sections and subsections, please let me know.

Edit2: Schik did some tinkering, and it looks very cool now. Still, if you want anything changed in terms of layout, let me know.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 02-18-2006 01:13 PM]
02-18-2006 at 02:19 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I had one PM to read when I logged on just now. As I was reading it, thus making all of my PMs read, it was still telling me I had an unread PM. Changing the order of the queries so that retrieving the PM happens before checking for unread PMs will fix this.

02-19-2006 at 06:41 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Well, as much as I would like to get some rubber gloves and dive into the spagetti code known as the forum, that isn't my "domain". Best thing you should do is post another topic in this board and have Schik deal with it from there.

And no, the forum isn't made of spagetti.

02-19-2006 at 04:17 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Macaroni and cheese? ;)

02-22-2006 at 01:22 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: The new site (+2)  
Text on the bottom of the downloads page:
*Holds
Load up some new levels for DROD: Architect's Edition! These are the levels that have been submitted by users to test your steely resolve, your grey matter and your patience. In other words, more people to hold responsible.
Something is telling me that this needs some editing.
02-22-2006 at 03:10 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Doom wrote:
Text on the bottom of the downloads page:
*Holds
Load up some new levels for DROD: Architect's Edition! These are the levels that have been submitted by users to test your steely resolve, your grey matter and your patience. In other words, more people to hold responsible.
Something is telling me that this needs some editing.
Some editing has been done.

02-22-2006 at 03:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : The new site
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com