Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : The new site
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
IP: Logged
icon The new site (+1)  
Hello.
Any comments? I'm off to exploring now...

In case you're wondering, this is what it's all about.

[Last edited by Doom at 01-14-2006 05:04 PM]
01-13-2006 at 06:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: A discovery (0)  
Man, ya can't do anything around this place without somebody watching you. :P

01-13-2006 at 06:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
I came upon the Discovery a few hours ago, though I kept it secret. We could have been an elite ruling over the New World, unbeknownst to the rest of the Eighth, but you ruined the effect, Doom. Now the average man on the street will learn about it, and before long they will all gather in our land and spoil it.

Congrats about the Discovery, and the successful setting up of said Discovery!

[Last edited by Alneyan at 01-13-2006 07:03 PM]
01-13-2006 at 07:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Alneyan wrote:
We could have been an elite ruling over the New World, unbeknownst to the rest of the Eighth, but you ruined the effect, Doom. Now the average man on the street will learn about it, and before long they will all gather in our land and spoil it.
Escaping the truth is futile. Eventually, the Illumation will descend from the mountain and welcome the mortals into the new land. That plan was doomed from the beginning!

Besides, ruling an empty land would've been so boring :P
01-13-2006 at 07:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
Sorry... What's this post about?
01-13-2006 at 10:16 PM
Alneyan
icon Re: A discovery (+2)  
You don't want to know. Trust me. I'm your friend. If you think you can handle the truth, though...

Click here to view the secret text

01-13-2006 at 10:35 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: A discovery (+1)  
Okay, it's out. And I'm fine with that.

But let us work on it in peace. There's lots of obvious things broken. We'll announce when it has some semblance of functionality and is ready for constructive criticism.

-Erik

01-13-2006 at 10:55 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
Thanks.
I'ts a cool new paradise, although it has some roads that lead to the fearful pits of Aoa.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Bombadil at 01-13-2006 11:41 PM]
01-13-2006 at 11:40 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Yes, yes, it's still in the rough, and there are a lot of content holes that still need articles in them. Monster reference only has 7 monsters at my last count, and there are still a lot of canonical information that need to be converted into articles. Screenshots also need to be up.

My point is: if you have critism, it will be graciously accepted. If you feel that public discussion of it is not for the better, then please contact me, Schik, or Erik about it privately. It will make life much better.

And geez....I'm already going to have to keep you guys occupied on the site. I think I'll put a quick secret page up in a minute.

Edit: Heh...a minute turned into an hour. Well, the page is up. First one to find it gets a cookie! Just don't go spoiling it for everyone! That's why PMs exist!

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 01-14-2006 06:09 AM]
01-14-2006 at 04:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: A discovery (+1)  
This thread really should be in "The Site" forum.
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
if you have criticism, it will be graciously accepted. If you feel that public discussion of it is not for the better, then please contact me, Schik, or Erik about it privately. It will make life much better.
Fixed. Now...
I suggest linking the Tar and Mud articles to the Tar Gate entry (once that exists), and vice versa.
I think roaches actually only take 3-4 turns to mature, depending on how the turns are counted; Laid -> growth -> hatching egg -> roach.
Why "Empirian", when the adjective "Imperial" works and is a recognized English word? :huh
The Eighth page leads to forum.caravelgames.com/viewboard.php?BoardID=67 which does not exist.
Download page says "Load up some new levels for DROD: Architect's Edition!". What is JtRH, chopped liver...? or the moneymaker? :glasses Similar issues with Holds page etc.
Extras download page is code 404.
Contact page is code 404 (good thing this thread is here, eh?) :unsure
Suggestion: make http://www.caravelgames.com/jtrhpatch.html (Holds page) an actual hyperlink.
Screenshot menu entries link to blank pages.
Caravel 1.5 and Webfoot screenshot pages contain drod.net links, now 404.
Caravel 1.5 screenshot page says "The new look of DROD.net was designed with this title screen in mind." This sort of reference is outdated.
Suggestion: "What is DROD?" could contain the phrase "Rolepuzzling Hack-&-Slash". :fun
"Journey to Rooted Hold Showcase" says "This story started four years ago, in the year 2000."

Now we need Schik/Erik/whoever to update the forum FAQ.

01-14-2006 at 09:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
icon Re: A discovery (+2)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
There's lots of obvious things broken. We'll announce when it has some semblance of functionality and is ready for constructive criticism.
Jatopian wrote:Now... (lots of stuff)
You really think that none of those things you mentioned weren't known already?

I could list twenty more things that aren't working, but what's the point? The site is still under construction and most of those will be catched by the people who manage the site. A little patience...

By the way, Post #1337 :glasses

[Last edited by Doom at 01-14-2006 09:39 AM]
01-14-2006 at 09:36 AM
Alneyan
Well, Erik said to wait for *constructive* criticism. So, I suppose it means we can send unconstructive criticism right away.

In other words, I agree with Doom, though I suspect that Jatopian may be ironic, given his general tone.
01-14-2006 at 10:13 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Doom, Alneyan - I did ask for criticism, but I probably should have leaned more towards asking for criticism for the specific articles themselves. I'm a one man show at the moment, and I have things to do outside of this site, so anyone who can save me from having to check every single article for links and images pointing to DROD.net would be my hero. I'm doing the best I can at the moment with the resources I have, but any help is greatly appreciated.

And yes, this thread should really be moved to The Site in the near future.

01-14-2006 at 04:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: The new site (+1)  
Moved.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-14-2006 at 07:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
gamer_extreme_101: Sorry if that seemed picky. The reason for good spelling & grammar is so ESL forumites can comprehend. I shall recant these if you request it.
Doom wrote:
You really think that none of those things you mentioned weren't known already?

I could list twenty more things that aren't working, but what's the point?
I was sure most were noticed already, but why should we not try to speed the process? At least one was probably unknown, like the "Empirian" question. Post your twenty, if you were not simply exaggerating to demean me.
I suspect that Jatopian may be ironic, given his general tone.
It is rather rare that I am not ironic. It comes with my sardonic, cynical worldview. Still, that was a genuine attempt to fulfill the webmaster's (not Erik's) request, so...
*shifts into diagnostic, psychiatric mode* Tell me more about this "tone" of mine.

01-15-2006 at 07:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: The new site (0)  
Well, to clarify -

- There's no point in reporting 404s at the moment, because most of the pages haven't even been put up yet. There's no real way for anyone to distinguish 404s that are caused by errors and 404s that are caused by this being a work in progress. Once the entire content has been uploaded, finding 404s (or other forms of missing pages) will be very important.

- The "empirian" thing is a good point, IMO.

01-15-2006 at 08:20 AM
Doom
Eytanz wrote:
- There's no point in reporting 404s at the moment, because most of the pages haven't even been put up yet. There's no real way for anyone to distinguish 404s that are caused by errors and 404s that are caused by this being a work in progress.
Actually, it seems that no links are pointing to pages that don't exist yet. The 404's are mostly caused by other errors like misspellings in links. I've got a few of those on this list.
Jatopian wrote:
Post your twenty, if you were not simply exaggerating to demean me.
If you insist. Not quite twenty, but anyway... That was just a guess after going through the site once earlier. I left some trivial things out, though.

fixed - The news page has no frames, unlike the one on caravelgames.com. I think it would be good to just keep them there at all times.
fixed - The same applies to the downloads page.
fixed - None of the screenshot pages on the left menu aren't working, even though those pages are accessable from the "What is DROD" page.
fixed - The Stories link on the left menu isn't working. The page is still already at http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewsiteboard.php?b=45
fixed - The same goes for Contests page: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewsiteboard.php?b=68
fixed - As well as "Reference - The Eighth" page, which is should be: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewsiteboard.php?b=67
fixed- The picture of Tueno on the Master Map of the Eighth page isn't showing up, because of the picture address is: http://drod.carafvelgames.com/Images/Tueno.png. If you correct it, the picture is viewable.
fixed- The Eighth pinned down page is pointing to the older Master Map of the Eighth page.
*Many definitely not worth mentioning at the moment things...

I've not read through every article throughly yet, so I can't comment on content at the moment. These were just technical things.

[Last edited by Doom at 01-20-2006 04:51 AM]
01-15-2006 at 09:25 AM
Swivel
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 236
Wait, I have a question. I use the original format for the website (with all of the blue hues). Are the icons that say "DROD.net Forum" and "DROD.net" going to stay (for nostalgia's sake)?

01-16-2006 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
I'm not making any promises, but...

Yeah, why not? I would prefer to leave them be, so you old-schoolers can relive the glory days of 2003.

-Erik

01-16-2006 at 09:11 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mouse
Rank Points: 246
comments:
-On the news page would you please change the date format so that the month is not a number.
-The items in the menu with the triangles next to them are not clickable in any way; are they meant to be? (Firefox 1.0.7)

Other things:
-"The Wormspeaker" link in the story titled "The Eighth Pinned Down" goes to a page with an error message.
-"The Story of Beethro" link in the story titled "What Happened Before KDD?" goes to a page with an error message.

Over all it looks nice - good job!
01-17-2006 at 06:48 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Mouse wrote:
-The items in the menu with the triangles next to them are not clickable in any way; are they meant to be? (Firefox 1.0.7)
This one, I know, is a problem with old Firefox versions. It works perfectly fine in 1.5.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-17-2006 at 07:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Oneiromancer wrote:
Mouse wrote:
This one, I know, is a problem with old Firefox versions. It works perfectly fine in 1.5.
This bug was actually fixed yesterday... or at least we thought so.

Ah.... try a hard refresh perhaps. The CSS was changed, and it might need to be reloaded on your end.

01-17-2006 at 07:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mouse
Rank Points: 246
Oneiromancer wrote:
Mouse wrote:

Game on,

I didn't realise there was a Firefox 1.5 until now.
Thank you! New version now installed & the triangle things work fine
01-17-2006 at 08:57 PM
gamer_extreme_101
I'm running low on time here, so I'm making bullets here:

-Doom - the last two things have been fixed. In fact, the whole article should be fixed (Eighth Pinned Down).

-For all those who aren't checking the site, the main page has been updated. Check it out!

-For all of those people interested, I finally got enough enthusiasm to create a news article for the site. Be sure to read the premiere of Life in the Basement.

-I'm going to be general for this - anyone who has submitted game graphics to the Development forum, I would like to add them to the site. I'm not going to start doing it without permission, but if you wouldn't mind having them go up on the site, then please PM or email me. It would be greatly appreciated!

01-20-2006 at 12:57 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Erik, whom everyone knows (or had better know, at the very least), is responsible for the nice little menu to my right

Right: *contains no menu*

It is a mystery!

01-22-2006 at 09:02 AM
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
Please fix the horrible blob that appears over the text on the right of the window...

Details were posted a while back by "watcher", here: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=7163

Cheers!

[Last edited by jamie at 01-29-2006 02:41 PM]
01-22-2006 at 01:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
leroy00
Rank Points: 155
Schik wrote:
Oneiromancer wrote:
Mouse wrote:
This bug was actually fixed yesterday... or at least we thought so.

Ah.... try a hard refresh perhaps. The CSS was changed, and it might need to be reloaded on your end.

This was broken before for Mozilla 1.7.2, but now it is working.

Since most of the links seem to be working, I am going to go out on a limb and risk pointing out a 404. The following link

http://forum.caravelgames.com/Downloads/ExtrasDownload.html

found on the downloads page seems to be a dead end.

-leroy

01-24-2006 at 11:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: The new site (+2)  
You're right, it is a dead end. We'll try to have all of the 404s fixed before we actually announce the site as ready.

01-24-2006 at 01:18 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Unless anyone has some complaints, the only files worth saving from the Extras page are the Backup AE Graphics files and the rather-large Webfoot OGG files. If anyone feels that files are worth saving, speak now or forever hold your peace.

And I published a brand-new edition of "Life in the Basement" in case anyone was interested. I'm still not sure how I want to let people know about updates on the forum, but I'll think of something later on.

01-25-2006 at 10:05 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460

AE transparent tar :D

But is it art?
01-25-2006 at 10:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : The new site
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com