Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Pelcho's Puzzles : First Level : 2 East
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Mouse
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 246
IP: Logged
icon Pelcho's Puzzles : First Level : 2 East (0)  
I don't understand this puzzle
What am I actually supposed to do?
01-05-2006 at 06:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zaubberer
Rank Points: 251
icon Re: Pelcho's Puzzles : First Level : 2 East (0)  
the machine works like this: you open the upper left yellow door by hitting one of the uper orbs. than a goblin runs through the open gates as far as he can. he follows the 'gravity' and hits orbs that he can reach. there are som places where no orb is reachable for the goblin so that he will get stucked. the goal of this puzzle is first to get all goblins stucked in a place where they can't reach any orb and then to enter the machine with beethro to kill them. and of course you have to kill the roach...

i think that this puzzle is a 'remake' or a transformation of an older gaming-machine, in which you had to kick in a coin. the coin went down to the bottom and if your kick was successfull it moved one - or some - lever(s). with the result that more coins came out. if your kick was not good the coin was stucked in the machine.

the puzzle works opposite to this: if you are playing successful the goblins will stucking in the machine, if not they will come back to their start.

but i not figured out how to solve this one...

zaubberer
:wizard
01-05-2006 at 07:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
If you haven't already, try looking here. Its a link to a puzzle site where this puzzle idea came from - you'll probably find it easier playing around with the puzzles on that page to work out whats going on.

Actually, I think theres a tiny tiny difference between the two. It seems that in the java puzzle, its possible for two coins to collide lower down in the machine somehow and alter what happens. I don't think two goblins can collide in the DROD puzzle.

(I wrote a program to solve it using the non-collision version, and it worked with goblins, but not the one on that site, so thats how I knew something funny was going on.)

But that should get you going, anyway.

[Last edited by TripleM at 01-05-2006 08:28 PM]
01-05-2006 at 08:27 PM
Mouse
Rank Points: 246
Thanks! Now I know what to try and do.
01-10-2006 at 08:13 PM
Danteslives
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 48
Ok so I solved the similar room in The Sunken Pyramid so I thought I might be able to solve this one now using the same strategy, but after thousands of futile moves I can see the same strategy is not working. I dont have the prowess to write a computer program the way some people have. Can someone give me a hint?
10-03-2007 at 03:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
key-smiter
Rank Points: 121
Well, I'll give asking a shot . . . I've invested thousands of moves myself, and I frankly don't see the equivalence between this room and the page on the clickmazes site referenced above. I have on occasion gotten five of the ten goblins stuck, and then through ignorance I end up releasing most of them.

Can I humbly ask for a transliteration of what's supposed to be done here?

Thanks -
03-14-2008 at 11:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
deftriver
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75
I'm with you, I can't get them to balance. Since in the game that it references the goal is to get the most to fall down, not stay up.
08-15-2008 at 04:38 AM
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2386
Has anyone solved this? First demo posted gets a cookie!

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
02-28-2009 at 03:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
HEROACE
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18

File: PP First Level 2E Victory.demo (1.8 KB)
Downloaded 97 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Pelcho's Puzzles : First Level : 2 East (+1)  
Since no one else has posted a replay of this (according to the opposing reviews, I was eighth, and at about 2000 moves (mostly trying to figure out what exactly the puzzle is before solving it) so I'm assuming there aren't many more than 8 people who have done this room. Download replay at own risk, it involves lots of random switch flipping before it became clear what to do :thumbsup

04-04-2009 at 04:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
abe10
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
As I look at the victory config at turn 1536 on the demo above, I feel like giving a tip to the world. A confusing tip, so please do not worry pros out there!! The right config is as follows:

;) {><} :D {><} :( {><} :| {><} :? {><} O:- {><} -_- {><} :smile {><} :lol {><} :fun

Click here to view the secret text

The {><} thing is something I made to separate them. Just because...

[Last edited by abe10 at 10-09-2014 11:21 PM]
10-09-2014 at 11:21 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Pelcho's Puzzles : First Level : 2 East
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com