Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Question about poll types
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
IP: Logged
icon Question about poll types (+1)  
Is the 'multiple selection' option basically a checkbox type poll (ie click all options that apply)?

Would it be possible to add a new poll type that asked you to select and rank your top 5 (10/20/n) options from 1-5 and give them points based on that ranking (5pts for 1st, 4 for 2nd etc).

For example, the poll might be to select the bestest movie ever. Nominees are Star Wars, The Godfather, Alien, The Shawshank Redemption, Citizen Cane, Braveheart, When Harry Met Sally, Four Weddings and a Funeral, 7 Samurai, 12 Monkeys, The Matrix, and Plan 9 From Outerspace. Each voter would select their 5 favorite movies and rank them from 1st to 5th. Those 5 movies would receive points corresponding to their ranks, and the other movies would receive 0 points from that voter.

I think this would be a more convenient and fair way to rank contest entries. You would only have to pick your top 5 rather than having to rate 30+ entries from 1-10.

12-23-2005 at 07:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5413
IP: Logged
icon Re: Question about poll types (0)  
stigant wrote:
Is the 'multiple selection' option basically a checkbox type poll (ie click all options that apply)?
Yes.
Would it be possible to add a new poll type that asked you to select and rank your top 5 (10/20/n) options from 1-5 and give them points based on that ranking (5pts for 1st, 4 for 2nd etc)....

I think this would be a more convenient and fair way to rank contest entries. You would only have to pick your top 5 rather than having to rate 30+ entries from 1-10.
Sure, it's very possible to do it. I like that it makes it so that one person can't vote 10 for their own contest entry and 1 for all the others. But then again, I also like the idea of rating all entries... this is pretty much equivalent to using the current system but voting 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, and giving everybody else a 1.

I've got a lot of things I need to be doing for DROD and/or the forum, so this is definitely low priority, but it's not a bad idea.

01-03-2006 at 07:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Question about poll types
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com