Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Mice (with tiny coal-like eyes)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
IP: Logged
icon Mice (+5)  
Hey

I moved,and live in an old building. 4th floor.
It seems we're running into mice problem. It wasn't uncommon to catch a mouse every several days, but they're getting more and more bold recently. Several mice caught in last 3 or so days is no longer funny.
I checked the trap (a cage for capturing mice alive) in the morning and it was occupied.
In the evening, I went to the kitchen to prepare some food, and I heard something moving vigorously in the trash bin.
Enough.

The way I see it we're doing mice a favor by not killing them and instead releasing them several streets from here, or farther. However, this may soon be no longer true. My mother grows tired of mice and says she's going to serve them poisoned food. Ugh.

Do you have any idea how to get rid of mice and not harm them ? We'll run out of bait if they keep coming at this rate. (they love smoked bacon, believe or not). Mice are too cute to harm them if you ask me. Any ideas ? Ultrasounds ? Something smelly they can't stand ?(not exactly good idea to put it in the kitchen) ? Cat perfume ?

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 12-16-2005 11:40 PM]
12-16-2005 at 11:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Mice (+2)  
First, I applaud your effort to humanely remove the mice from your house. Some evil people at the place I used to work put glue traps down to catch mice. It's not a pretty thing, especially when people find a live mouse caught on it and just throw the whole thing in the trash, leaving the mouse to die a slow, horrible death. Using poison will give you a lot of little dead mice around your house - some you find on the floor, and a whole lot you'll never find in your walls, attic, etc.

So.... I've used the live traps many times. We always used crackers with a little bit of peanut butter on them as bait. Worked really well. If you want to keep using live traps, I'd recommend getting several, if you only have one. If you have 5 traps, you can catch 5 mice every night instead of 1.

There are plenty of ultrasonic pest repellent devices around there - like this list. Some come with several in a pack, because you'd need a few for a whole house. They're going to be more expensive than buying bait for live traps, but then you don't have to set the traps all the time, buy more bait, and take the mice away.

As for smelly stuff, I wouldn't put it in the house, but you can find this dried fox urine stuff - I know, it sounds really gross - but after you've got the mice out, spread it around the perimeter of your house to help keep them out. They'll think a predator is near, and will stay away. I use that around my garden in the summer to keep chipmunks from stealing stuff.

12-17-2005 at 01:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
jamie
Rank Points: 365
icon Re: Mice (+1)  
I have no ideas, but I must also applaud you for your humane way of dealing with it, and also share Shiks disgust at the glue trap... Those people should be made to suffer the same way :mad :angry

12-17-2005 at 02:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
b0rsuk
icon Re: Mice (0)  
More traps sounds like a good idea, even if they may be tricky to get.

What I really like is the picture of finding dead mice all around - It's bound to trigger "right" reaction in my mother. Especially mice rotting in hard to reach spots. She's deffinitely a bit pedantic and wouldn't like that.

12-17-2005 at 08:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Mice (-3)  
Why go to extremes to be humane to non-sentient creatures?
Miss one single opposite-gender pair, and your problem regenerates.
Toss them all out, and they or their descendants will bother someone else or yourself again.

In another, more helpful vein, I support traps instead of poison, because rotting flesh attracts even less savory things.

P.S. My first negative mod. No one likes true pragmatism. I'll bet this post would garner plenty of support if you all had lived in loca with real rat problems, like medieval England.
My first 5 negative mods? This is getting mildly insulting...

[Last edited by Jatopian at 12-22-2005 09:03 PM]
12-22-2005 at 07:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Mice (+3)  
Jatopian wrote:
Why be humane to non-sentient creatures?
Actually, I disagree. Mice and rats are sentient. Once I had a family of them living in my garage, and when I came to scare them out, I could tell they were very frightened, since they were all huddled in a corner looking at me. Also, if they weren't sentient, they wouldn't be able to sense things around them and so react to their environment, which is obviously not true, as anyone who have ever had mice or rats in their houses would agree.

P.S. My first negative mod. No one likes true pragmatism. I'll bet this post would garner plenty of support if you all had lived in loca with real rat problems, like medieval England.
I agree with you to the extent that although being humane is the best possible method when dealing with animals, it's sometimes just not practical to do it. For example, I wanted to drop a bucket over that same family of mice I mentioned earlier, slip a card under it, and then tip the bucket upside down, allowing me to drop the mice off outside. The mice (understandably), were having none of it, however, and scattered when I attempted to do it, threatening to run towards the house, so I ended up killing three and scaring the rest off.

However, I don't feel such a strong response is necessary. Mice and rats are just looking for a home and food, just like all animals (and pretty much all other living things too) do to survive. It's just that their interests conflict with ours, since we don't want them living with us, whereas they would absolutely love being invited in. It's important to be practical about them, since they are a nuisance and can be dangerous, but they are living things, just like us, so it's unfair to view them as if they aren't.

Miss one single opposite-gender pair, and your problem regenerates.
Toss them all out, and they or their descendants will bother someone else or yourself again.
True, but the problem partly lies with you or whoever owns the building in question. If you seal all the holes made by mice properly, they shouldn't be able to get back in.

In a less helpful vein, I support traps instead of poison, because rotting flesh attracts even less savory things.
There, however, I agree. Poison is pretty nasty, dangerous to other animals and probably people, and can lead to messy results. At least with a trap, you can make sure you've actually got one, and can account for it, while it's much harder to tell with poison. Traps that catch mice (live) when they walk into them are probably the best kind, as Schik mentions, since they don't kill the mice, which is advantageous as you don't need to deal with any dead ones, and you won't be responsible for any mouse killings.

The best long-term solution, I think, is probably to use a good sealant and fill all the holes that the mice have been making with it. It will make it much harder for them to return (I've not had any mice in my home for 5-6 years since we did this) and may discourage them. Also, try to keep the house surroundings tidy. If you have rubbish everywhere, you may be attracting mice towards your house, and so encouraging them to get in. Ultrasonic repellers are also useful, but if the mice are already in the house/building, they probably will get used to it and ignore it after a while (the mice in my garage did).

Edit: Actually, I just had a strange idea. Maybe you could borrow someone's cat for a while, and see if it can deal with some of the mice, in conjunction with other mice-repelling techniques.

Edit2:

My first 5 negative mods? This is getting mildly insulting...
I just spotted this, and while the post was a bit strong, -4 is a bit unfair, considering it is a legitimate (if not exactly considerate) point of view.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 12-22-2005 08:33 PM]
12-22-2005 at 08:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
(they love smoked bacon, believe or not)

Then I'd stop leaving smoked bacon around the house.

[Last edited by stigant at 12-22-2005 09:55 PM]
12-22-2005 at 09:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
b0rsuk
I have this funny feeling I said I live on 4th floor.
And the building is actually connected to several others. It's just impossible to seal all holes.

We buy smoked bacon solely for bait. And fridges came to Poland a while ago, so no, we don't leave bacon around the house.

12-22-2005 at 10:53 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Mice (with tiny coal-like eyes)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com