Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Topic for (short)essay (....for english classes)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
IP: Logged
icon Topic for (short)essay (0)  
Hey

I need a topic for english classes. I can write the essay on my own, but choosing a topic has always been something of a problem for me. Especially if I'm given too broad choice.

It should be "about computers" or "related to computers". She didn't accept my badger essay. I study IT, but my english teacher doesn't.
For 5-10 minutes of talking.

Talking about DROD would make me nerdy, so that's probably out of question. Besides, it's too niche. Honestly, how many people play puzzle games ?
Another thing to keep in mind is I don't want to pretend being a smartass. We've got people who've been sysadmins or assembly coders for years...
I don't mind if it's a bit vague.

Any ideas ?

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
12-08-2005 at 11:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Topic for (short)essay (+1)  
How about picking an interesting algorithm and talking about it and its applications. Example: the shortest path algorithm, or various sorting algorithms (bubble, insertion, quicksort).

12-08-2005 at 01:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Topic for (short)essay (+2)  
I'd play to my strengths if I were you. What are they?

If you're good at writing the sort of over-analysing you normally see when you're studying literature, I'd do something on, perhaps, the ethics of computer implants, or perhaps something on what role the Internet plays in human interaction and whether it's gotten richer or poorer as a result. You can pad ferociously while still sounding good.

If not, stick more to the facts. Start with a bullet point list, preferably something where there's some pros and cons, and expand them out into a paragraph where you explain what they are and why they're on the list. The possibilities for robotics, maybe - it's much more difficult than we thought to make a human-like robot, but in return we can make robots that do things not possible for human-like robots. Perhaps something on open-source development, and how it's commoditising the software market for good or bad.

12-08-2005 at 01:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Topic for (short)essay (+3)  
How about something related to the links in your sig?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
12-08-2005 at 03:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
icon Re: Topic for (short)essay (0)  
I think I'll prepare a rant about censorship of the internet/growing commerce/how the internet is changing.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
12-09-2005 at 10:39 AM
jamie
Rank Points: 365
If you wrote about the technology of Flash, you could end on 'badger badger badger' :lol

12-19-2005 at 01:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stuwy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
icon Re: Topic for (short)essay (0)  
You should write an essay discussing the topics of how the human subconscience and the internet are strangely similar in some category's.
12-20-2005 at 05:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Stuwy wrote:
You should write an essay discussing the topics of how the human subconscience and the internet are strangely similar in some category's.
Emergence might be of interest to you (I think both the internet and the human brain are both examples of emergent systems).

12-20-2005 at 12:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Topic for (short)essay (....for english classes)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com