Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Mimics and Trapdoors: Game Logic (When a mimic on a trapdoor is stabbed, should the trapdoor drop (as the mimic is "stepping off")?)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
When a mimic on a trapdoor is stabbed, should the trapdoor drop (as the mimic is "stepping off")?
Yes
No
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
IP: Logged
icon Re: Mimics and Trapdoors: Game Logic (0)  
awww, but the smiley was the only part of the message!

Annd errr, two-deep-quote, well, it was 11 months ago.

Errr, ok, so now i'll be de-modded for replying to an 11 month old post, and one by myself to boot!

/me should have kept quiet :lol

11-02-2006 at 03:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Mimics and Trapdoors: Game Logic (+1)  
Well, but you ran into Maurog's campaign to mod down every post that uses the explody head smiley. Heck, he modded down my old post where I asked for the smiley to be removed or modified. Don't take it personally.

(Note that he's likely to mod down your latest post where you quote your own post because it still has an explody smiley in it).

For the sake of solidarity, though:

:blowup

Come on, Maurog - do your worst :)

[Last edited by eytanz at 11-02-2006 04:01 AM]
11-02-2006 at 04:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
eytanz wrote:
Well, but you ran into Maurog's campaign to mod down every post that uses the explody head smiley. Heck, he modded down my old post where I asked for the smiley to be removed or modified. Don't take it personally.

For the sake of solidarity, though:

:Blowup

Come on, Maurog - do your worst :)

I must admit that I am sorely tempted to host a row of the :Blowup smiley's, showing my solidarity with Eytanz, but the fact that it breaks up the formatting with mostly empty space annoys me too much.

I think, Maurog, that a simple request not to use that smiley whenever someone uses it would be far better and more effective way of stopping the use of this smiley. Just modding posts down that have the smiley is more than a little infantile way of trying to stop the smiley's use.

I do realise however, that this is probably more of an attention gathering stunt to pressure the removal of this smiley than anything else, but its still rather childish of you.

Heck it, :blowup

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-29-2007 01:30 PM]
11-02-2006 at 05:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jamie
eytanz wrote:

Ahhh, ok :) I guess I should catch up on the forums.

Ironic how his action has in this case made said smiley even more shown, and talked about!

(Note that he's likely to mod down your latest post where you quote your own post because it still has an explody smiley in it).

hee hee, thanks for the solidarity, and the warning!

[Last edited by jamie at 11-02-2006 06:31 AM]
11-02-2006 at 06:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
NiroZ wrote:
Just modding posts down that have the smiley is more than a little infantile way of trying to stop the smiley's use.

I do realise however, that this is probably more of an attention gathering stunt to pressure the removal of this smiley than anything else, but its still rather childish of you.

Well, I hope he's having a laugh about the whole thing...

I wonder how many mod points he has ? I'm not about to start playing a mod-him-back war or anything, but I've suddenly realised that I like that smiley so much, I may have to put it in my signature ;-)

11-02-2006 at 06:32 AM
NiroZ
jamie wrote:
Well, I hope he's having a laugh about the whole thing...

I wonder how many mod points he has ? I'm not about to start playing a mod-him-back war or anything, but I've suddenly realised that I like that smiley so much, I may have to put it in my signature ;-)

Well if this was just a way to satisfy his sense of humour, I doubt he would have gone to all the effort to find and mod down all those posts. Its a rather silly way to amuse your self, and there are others that don't involve wasting mod points.

Oh, and please don't put it in your signature. I hate that emotion.

Heck it :blowup

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-29-2007 01:31 PM]
11-02-2006 at 06:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
BDR
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 106
That explosion reminds me of Metal Slug (a great action game in the tradition of Contra but with a style all its own).
11-02-2006 at 07:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I wasn't aware Maurog was going about modding people down for using what stands as potentially the most stupid emoticon in existence.

Bless that man.
11-02-2006 at 09:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Banjooie wrote:
I wasn't aware Maurog was going about modding people down for using what stands as potentially the most stupid emoticon in existence.

Bless that man.

Is that a challenge? I'm sure I can find worse.

(I'm well aware of the disclaimer before it)

Heck it :blowup

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-29-2007 01:31 PM]
11-02-2006 at 09:21 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
NiroZ wrote:
the fact that it breaks up the formatting with mostly empty space annoys me too much.

Well, you know, this can be fixed:

:blowup :blowup :blowup :blowup :blowup :blowup :blowup :blowup :blowup :blowup :blowup :blowup

Alo, this means that Maurog would have to mod me down 12 times, and I'm not sure he has the mod points.

Edit: I stand corrected. (For posterity: this post got modded down to -12. Keep reading to see how everything turned out! Well, okay, it's not at -12 any more, but whatever.)

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 11-02-2006 03:41 PM]
11-02-2006 at 10:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
:~(

Nasty! I'm loathe to mod you back up 12, because that will just start a mod-war, but I gave you a deserved 2 for your well rounded post.

As for a competition to find a worse smiley, on my forums, I have over 14,000 smileys installed - I'm sure you'll find MANY there!

( http://phpbbmods.bishopston.net/posting.php?mode=newtopic&f=8 - Click 'all emoticons' over the left)

BTW: the above exploding-smiley is #f3i2g# on there, (you can't name 14,000+ smileys, but there is a categorised menu for selecting them!), so I'll use that over here out of quiet protest!

#f3i2g# :p

[Last edited by jamie at 11-02-2006 12:34 PM]
11-02-2006 at 12:03 PM
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
Well, I dislike the blowing-up smiley as much as the next guy, but this is just plain stupid, so I gave Matt the other 10.

~ Gerry
11-02-2006 at 12:38 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: Mimics and Trapdoors: Game Logic (+2)  
If I had infinite mod points I would mod down people who mod up people people modded down. People don't mod down people people modded up, so why mod up people people modded down?

YOU ARE NOT A BLESSED LUCKSTONE.
11-02-2006 at 01:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
But if the people who mod up those who are modded down mod each other up in response to you modding them down, things get even more pointless, as they'd be modded up for modding up the modded down yet being modded down. At which point you'd need to mod down the modded down up-modding people modded up.

I'm confused.

You're right though, I'm actually an uncursed spellbook of wizard lock.

11-02-2006 at 01:50 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I think they shouldn't, because if Beethro is stabbed on one it doesn't fall down, so why would it be different?

11-02-2006 at 02:03 PM
trick
Rabscuttle wrote:
If I had infinite mod points I would mod down people who mod up people people modded down. People don't mod down people people modded up, so why mod up people people modded down?

YOU ARE NOT A BLESSED LUCKSTONE.
Well, people's point of views differ. In any case, I don't usually do this sort of thing. Maybe +/- 1 if I personally disagree completely with a mod (I haven't done this for any of Maurog's other blowup-downmods, btw), but no more than that. You make it sound like I usually go around randomly abusing my infinite mod points to make everything fit my whims, which I of course don't do.

However, this was a special case, I think. I don't like Maurog's crusade for arbitrary censorship, and honestly I think it's getting a bit out of hand. Think of that what you will, but I'm not going to apologize for undoing the mod.

~ Gerry
11-02-2006 at 02:17 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: Mimics and Trapdoors: Game Logic (+2)  
trick wrote:
However, this was a special case, I think. I don't like Maurog's crusade for arbitrary censorship, and honestly I think it's getting a bit out of hand. Think of that what you will, but I'm not going to apologize for undoing the mod.
Don't go blaming Maurog for the -12 mod, because he wasn't the one who did it. I did.

Why did I do it, you ask? Well, for one, had it been anyone else but a moderator/Legendary Smitemaster I wouldn't have done it (some other people here may not take it the right way (as a joke)). Matt was practically asking for it, and I thought it'd be fun to see his reaction (and it was).

I didn't mean to start an argument or ignite any combustibles - I was just having a bit of fun with my rather large supply of mod-points... :~(

11-02-2006 at 02:36 PM
trick
Well, heh. Forum humor is always tricky. I think the context of this one threw me off.

So! I will apologize after all, to Maurog, for falsely accusing him of doing that downmod. (I will still not apologize for undoing the mod, however ;)). Have your fun, buddy (just please don't go -12 people :))

:group

~ Gerry
11-02-2006 at 03:23 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Maurog wrote:
PS: As for the head explody smiley people, you know who you are, I will get you yet! *shakes fist*

:blowup
:lol :lol :lol

Where'd that come from? Too bad there are ways of making it not trigger... :P

(Also, have you tried searching the forum for ":blowup" yet? :D)

np: Pole - Paula (1)

11-02-2006 at 03:31 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
trick wrote:
Have your fun, buddy (just please don't go -12 people :))
Well, he wanted to see if it goes all the way to -11 and exceeded his expectations I guess... ;)

np: Pole - Paula (1)

11-02-2006 at 03:32 PM
Mattcrampy
Everybody be cool!

(I need some icecubes, and it's short notice so you're it.)

I'm not bothered by the whole episode, and I found it amusing that someone would go to the trouble of modding me down to a -12. A lot of the mods have this point of view of the mod point system that divorces the numbers from the intent.

Let me explain what I mean. That -12 that was up there? Totally a joke, there was no harm meant by it, and I don't really think Stefan was annoyed at my series of smilies (incidentally, anyone surfing at 640x480, sorry about the double row.) Positive mods can be super random at times - jokes I really like never get mods, while other posts get modded up seemingly at random (I threw a red herring into the Bar thread that turned out to be a huge clue, and kept getting confused why people kept modding me up). What's important about the mod point system is that it allows people to communicate feedback, but you gotta be smart enough to remember that our three simple tools for feedback don't cover everything you might want to say. Positive mods don't always mean someone likes your stuff. Negative mods don't always mean someone is whapping you upside the head. It's the intent that's important, not the numbers.

So, basically, everybody be cool.

11-02-2006 at 03:38 PM
Mattcrampy
trick wrote:
You make it sound like I usually go around randomly abusing my infinite mod points to make everything fit my whims, which I of course don't do.

I do, but only occasionally or when it's that time of the month.

11-02-2006 at 03:45 PM
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
You're right though, I'm actually an uncursed spellbook of wizard lock.
And I'm an uncursed hurthling cake.

Did someone say "igniting any combustibles"? That puts me in mind of a smiley I saw somewhere recently...

11-02-2006 at 07:58 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I'm the Amulet of Yendor. :shifty
...Hey! Get away from that altar! :-O
*runs*

11-03-2006 at 01:19 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Mimics and Trapdoors: Game Logic (When a mimic on a trapdoor is stabbed, should the trapdoor drop (as the mimic is "stepping off")?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com