Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Odd Jobs Medium (Beethro performs odd jobs.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.3/10 (23 votes)
σ 1.09
Author Name:LarryMurk
Submitted By:larrymurk
Hold Name:Odd Jobs Medium
Theme:Beethro performs odd jobs.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:17
Number of Rooms:34
Number of Monsters:102
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:2 (+2 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Odd Jobs Medium.hold (11.7 MB)
Downloaded 4139 times.
License: Other
icon Odd Jobs Medium  
Odd Jobs Medium

Beethro has exterminated every dungeon in the kingdom. He enters Sgt. Tark's Odd Job Agency in search of work. After retiring as drill seargent in the king's guard, Sgt. Tark opened his own odd jobs agency. You won't believe what jobs he has in store for Beethro.

This hold features:

Story line.
Voice acting.
Custom images.
Open play. Complete jobs in any order.
Puzzles that represent real life in look and play.
Humor guaranteed to make you laugh (or at least grin).

Credits:

Architect: Larry Murk
Voice acting: Doug and Allison Murk
Testing: Doom, Stefan, and Tim.

Special thanks to Doom who informed me that there are ways to allow multiple level holds to be solved in any order and suggested the specific method of having dual staircases that I used here.

WARNING: This hold is about 12 megabytes.
12-05-2005 at 05:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
icon Re: Odd Jobs Medium (0)  
Well, I enjoyed that, except for the Volcano. If you want a laugh at how ineffecient it is possible to be, take a look at the high scores for that one. :lol After what seemed like a lifetime of failing to split the tar correctly, I decided to do it the much longer, but much easier way. :thumbsup

[pedant]It wasn't "rediculous", it was ridiculous. ;) [/pedant]
12-08-2005 at 08:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
OneMoreNameless
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 131
icon Re: Odd Jobs Medium (+1)  
This old hold almost deserves a bump just for the sake of Beethro's voice acting. It's, uh, it's certainly something unique that you'll need to 'experience' for yourself. That aside/included, the presentation of the hold is done very well. There's a lot of dialogue for the low number of puzzles, but it's easily skippable if you don't find it amusing (you probably will) and is broken neatly into small chunks between the titular jobs. The rooms are themed cleverly around the jobs while still being clear and challenging as puzzles on their own. Being able to skip between jobs while also having a 'boss room' at the end is appreciated, and the alternate difficulty holds available (ie. Odd Jobs Novice and Odd Jobs Expert, not explicitly mentioned in the OP) will benefit anyone who finds these puzzles either too difficulty or too easy.

With everything else that's great about this hold, it's kind of a shame that a few of the puzzles aren't actually that fun to solve in practice. Harmonica and both Shoe variants felt trivial for 'medium' difficulty, while Lobster Trap (a little) and Swimming Pool (immensely) were just tedious to complete.

My recommendation comes scaled between 'must play' and 'look elsewhere' strictly dependent on your present mood for silliness.
05-08-2013 at 02:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Trickster
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 662
OneMoreNameless wrote:
This old hold almost deserves a bump just for the sake of Beethro's voice acting. It's, uh, it's certainly something unique that you'll need to 'experience' for yourself.
I... I still have the nightmares...

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

05-08-2013 at 03:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
I love that voice!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-08-2013 at 02:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 460
icon Re: Odd Jobs Medium (+2)  
Comparing this hold to Odd Jobs Novice, this provides puzzles almost seen before in the Novice edition but provides a slight spin that makes all the difference and also makes some pretty tough adversaries of rooms that were previously "breeze" rooms in Novice, such as the Pipe or Valve Lock Pipe puzzles.

Highly recommended as a skill builder for people who have mastered the Novice edition!

07-15-2016 at 11:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Odd Jobs Medium (Beethro performs odd jobs.) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com