Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : Bug Tracking. (If you're having problems running Wonderquest, post here..)
Page 5 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
IP: Logged
icon Re: Bug Tracking. (+2)  
Awesome game!

Here's a smattering of bugs that plausibly have already been reported...

The font messes up for some characters (such as apostrophes) and shows white boxes instead.

You can select 'keypad 5' for an action (such as waiting) but it doesn't actually work.

The options panel needs a help function or mouseover assistance; half of the options are somewhat obtuse. Ditto for such things as 'bruises' on the map panel.

The death count on the map panel is way off.

(pedant) "6:00 o'clock" is redundant; also, this means the heroes can take one step per hour, that's weird. (/pedant)

Animation for leaving a tower is somewhat off (character 'jumps' to underneath and moves from there)

If you've been to a hut in the room, it appears to be no longer possible to restart the room from the beginning; R returns you to the hut.

The mouse cursor should disappear if it hasn't moved for awhile, and so should the mouse identification feature.

The archer has a name, but in dialogs he is known as 'archer'.

I've on occasion heard the 'yeah! room clear' sound twice in succession.

If the map is larger than 5x5, it should be scrollable by pressing the cursor arrows.

Low-end systems user here... the game performs better on low end systems than DROD does :) still I'd like an option to turn off character 'sliding' alltogether, and an option to limit the number of particle sparkles (on rooms like L3-1W this causes serious slowdown).

The in-game help in the first few levels needs work. Experienced DRODders won't have a problem, of course, but most terrain features aren't explained at all, some standard keys (such as restore) aren't explained WAY after people start using them, and in the beginning there's talk of "special skill: jump over fire, use one food" which may be confusing since there is hardly any fire, nor any food in the level.

But these are all details. Now I'll go play it some more, since it's teh cool.

(edit)
Though not really a bug, it might help if the completed rooms in the levels were easier to traverse. For instance, a ship landing point (sword icon) in 4:4N1E would help, and maybe a way to enter 4:2E from the east. Also I figured 4:3N could use a more convenient save point.

"Hero splitter" might need a new name... from that I expected a clone machine :)

[Last edited by Radiant at 03-27-2006 12:41 AM]
03-26-2006 at 10:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Bug Tracking. (0)  
Radiant wrote:
The font messes up for some characters (such as apostrophes) and shows white boxes instead.

I reported that this happened to me, too, and he seemed surprised. Are you, Radiant, also using Win2k?

You can select 'keypad 5' for an action (such as waiting) but it doesn't actually work.

works for me. if I turn numlock on (and, yes, the options screen says "keypad 5" not just "5", but I still need numlock. weird, eh? but I recall from ancient books of lore that this key has always been mysterious and special)

If you've been to a hut in the room, it appears to be no longer possible to restart the room from the beginning; R returns you to the hut.

this is only mentioned in a scroll on level 1 briefly, and at the time I did realize what it meant because I had insufficient experience restoring yet (no room hard enough to need a restore), so I forgot it until I saw it again on the forums, but:
press and hold R for a few seconds. then it goes back to the beginning of the room.

The mouse cursor should disappear if it hasn't moved for awhile, and so should the mouse identification feature.

right-click and it turns off. but annoyingly you have to have the mouse in "right click" mode to see the big red Xs on the map for incomplete rooms.

still I'd like an option to turn off character 'sliding' alltogether

does not turning move funk to 0 do this?

03-27-2006 at 02:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Radiant
Hi Silver!

silver wrote:
Radiant wrote:
I reported that this happened to me, too, and he seemed surprised. Are you, Radiant, also using Win2k?
WinME here.

works for me. if I turn numlock on (and, yes, the options screen says "keypad 5" not just "5", but I still need numlock. weird, eh? but I recall from ancient books of lore that this key has always been mysterious and special)

Sure, with numlock it works. But yes, traditionally games have had problems successfully trapping this key. But others have always managed fine. Point is, really, if your game doesn't work with the key, then the config menu shouldn't accept it.

right-click and it turns off. but annoyingly you have to have the mouse in "right click" mode to see the big red Xs on the map for incomplete rooms.
Actually the Xs seem to show up when you simply hover the mouse over the map, even without rightclick. Of course, the Xs should show up (or glow or something) no matter what, that'd be easier.

still I'd like an option to turn off character 'sliding' alltogether
does not turning move funk to 0 do this?
No, the 'funky' moves make him wobble along his sliding path as well. What I meant was 'snapping' to his destination instantly when you press a key, no animation or anything.

03-27-2006 at 08:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
googa
Rank Points: 282
Awesome game!

Thanks Radiant, I can say the same thing about SubTerra. :D

Low-end systems user here... the game performs better on low end systems than DROD does still I'd like an option to turn off character 'sliding' alltogether, and an option to limit the number of particle sparkles (on rooms like L3-1W this causes serious slowdown).

Set smooth movement = 1. In the new version you will be able to modify the ini file to limit the number orb hit particles.

The death count on the map panel is way off

Yes. It's a bug. Already fixed.

Use Arrow keys to scroll the map.

The in-game help in the first few levels needs work. Experienced DRODders won't have a problem, of course, but most terrain features aren't explained at all, some standard keys (such as restore) aren't explained WAY after people start using them, and in the beginning there's talk of "special skill: jump over fire, use one food" which may be confusing since there is hardly any fire, nor any food in the level.

You can only use special abilities from level 9 on.

I'll find some way to handle the mouse problem, The right click system is still annoying.

In the new version you wont need to move the mouse over the map to see the big red X for unconquered rooms. The X will always be displayed.

Have fun.

[Last edited by googa at 03-30-2006 11:34 PM]
03-27-2006 at 07:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
You can only use special abilities from level 9 on.

Yeah, I get that, but then you shouldn't be explaining them in level one.

(edit) 7:1N1E would benefit from a save point. 7:3E would benefit from a roach and black door, to prevent players from having to repeat the puzzle.

[Last edited by Radiant at 03-28-2006 10:31 AM]
03-27-2006 at 08:39 PM
googa
(edit) 7:1N1E would benefit from a save point. 7:3E would benefit from a roach and black door, to prevent players from having to repeat the puzzle.

Changes made. 7:3E was really needing the door.
03-30-2006 at 12:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Bug: if you are killed by two butterflies simultaneously, the undo key doesn't work.

03-30-2006 at 03:54 PM
googa
Bug: if you are killed by two butterflies simultaneously, the undo key doesn't work.
I tried to reproduce it here but got no problems.
(But there is a bug that prevents the undo key to work, and I'm still trying to reproduce it.)

[Last edited by googa at 03-31-2006 12:14 AM]
03-31-2006 at 12:13 AM
Radiant
Maybe it wasn't the b'flies then. It happened only so far in that room in level 8 with a bunch of b'flies on an island, next to a series of bouncing balls that control doors.

03-31-2006 at 12:16 AM
silver
I can't seem to consistently reproduce, so I'm sending you the player zip from right after the game just drops, in hopes that it's actually the move the before :/ don't know if it'll help, though.

03-31-2006 at 04:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
googa
I can't seem to consistently reproduce, so I'm sending you the player zip from right after the game just drops, in hopes that it's actually the move the before :/ don't know if it'll help, though.

Bug fixed Silver, thanks for the file. You can continue playing because the crashes are happening only in that room and only when you die.
03-31-2006 at 04:35 AM
silver
<blush> imagine my embarassment. I so thought it was random. I guess because it blinked out so fast that I didn't see the water elemental that killed me, and was rather used to undoing deaths.

knowing that it was just me dying, I got through the room this time. yay. Since I'm so close to end, I wanted to finish before upgrading to engine-rev 2.2 (and presumably quest-rev 7.0) so I could appreciate the differences better :)

[Last edited by silver at 03-31-2006 06:12 AM]
03-31-2006 at 06:10 AM
googa
icon Re: Bug Tracking. (+1)  
Silver, about the email you sent me (second one):

Bug fixed:

A small hint for the room:

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by googa at 03-31-2006 06:56 PM]
03-31-2006 at 06:04 PM
silver
googa wrote:
The way you're doing in the savegame is not correct.

Not much of a secret there. My email even said I was failing the room at the time :)

Incidentally, I worked around the "can't experiment" issue by zipping up my player directory at a save point where I've moved the blocks into movable positions in the correct quadrants.

03-31-2006 at 08:07 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
L7-2E: Undoing after killing the roach makes the character disappear.

L7-1N1E, 1N2E: Terrain between these rooms doesn't match at the river near the bottom of the screen (A silly way to enter the tile with the arrow :P)
04-04-2006 at 05:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
googa
Doom wrote:
L7-1N1E, 1N2E: Terrain between these rooms doesn't match at the river near the bottom of the screen (A silly way to enter the tile with the arrow :P)
Bug fixed. :)

L7-2E: Undoing after killing the roach makes the character disappear.
It's because the character is treated as a monster. If you clean the room and hit undo, the room will be loaded as a clean room.
I'll work on it.

[Last edited by googa at 04-05-2006 11:05 PM]
04-05-2006 at 11:04 PM
Birkoff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 62
If I minimize the game it shuts down, and that's no fun... :weep

"A hero is no braver than an
ordinary man, but he is brave five
minutes longer."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

[Last edited by Birkoff at 05-11-2006 08:47 AM]
04-12-2006 at 11:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
googa
Bug fixed. You can use alt+tab to minimize for now.
04-12-2006 at 06:08 PM
Birkoff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 62
googa wrote:
Bug fixed. You can use alt+tab to minimize for now.
that's the way I always do it...

"A hero is no braver than an
ordinary man, but he is brave five
minutes longer."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
04-12-2006 at 06:55 PM
Enigmatologist
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
This one's a funny one. :D

Level 13, Once South, Thrice West. There's a sword icon near the north entrance, and a crucifix icon on a splitter farther south, past the arrow puzzle. As Jax, step on that splitter. Now Jax is on the splitter, and you're playing as Lucas. Go back north and step on the sword icon again to become... a second Jax!

04-16-2006 at 03:59 AM
googa
Enigmatologist wrote:
This one's a funny one. :D

Level 13, Once South, Thrice West. There's a sword icon near the north entrance, and a crucifix icon on a splitter farther south, past the arrow puzzle. As Jax, step on that splitter. Now Jax is on the splitter, and you're playing as Lucas. Go back north and step on the sword icon again to become... a second Jax!

Humm.. That's called "Omnipresence". It's a game feature :)
Bug Fixed.
04-16-2006 at 08:06 PM
streamer
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
There is one thing you should remake. It is about secret passages. When you move mouse cursor over tile for example it game prints on toop of screen 'forest'. But if there is a forest tile and that forest tile isn't real one it's not printed out anything. So you'll find all secrets very soon :P
Just move cursor over one tile that's actually secret passage and you'll know what I'm talking about.
05-10-2006 at 11:50 PM
googa
streamer wrote:
There is one thing you should remake. It is about secret passages. When you move mouse cursor over tile for example it game prints on top of screen 'forest'. But if there is a forest tile and that forest tile isn't real one it's not printed out anything. So you'll find all secrets very soon :P
Just move cursor over one tile that's actually secret passage and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Bug fixed, Thanks.

By the way, breakable tiles will look different in the final version.

Any more suggestions are welcome for the final release. :cool
05-11-2006 at 06:16 PM
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
Great game googa! It's excellent, I just downloaded it. So many new elements and good ideas, I would rate it 10 out of 10. I'm on Level 3 1N2W when I noticed that Jax could move like so:
J=Jax B=ball W=wall .=empty

Diagram I

WWWWWWWWWWJWW
W.b..b..b..bW
W.WWWWW WWW.W
WbWWWWW WWW.W
-------------

So from here, Jax is going to move down, right to the place the ball is going to move. So, Jax moves first, then the ball follows, thus making Jax move a total of 2 spaces in 1 turn. And only 1 hour passes. Jax's move is shown in Diagram II.

Diagram II

WWWWWW WWW.WW
W.b..b..b.JbW
W.WWWWW WWW.W
WbWWWWW WWW.W
-------------

Diagram III shows the monster's turn.

Diagram III

WWWWWW WWW.WW
Wb..b..b.Jb.W
W.WWWWW WWW.W
W.WWWWWWWWWbW
-------------

Diagrams II and III are both done on turn 2. Diagram I is done in turn 1. I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen, or if someone posted this before. But its a great, wait... excellent game!

Keep posting,
-Jeremy

EDIT: Hmm, www.ww and www.w the forum mistakes for links. Don't click them, they lead to nothing.

EDIT: Grr, the www.ww and www.w links make a small space in between the non-hyperlinks and the www.w's. Hmm, please ignore the spaces.

[Last edited by UrAvgAzn at 06-17-2006 01:06 AM]
06-17-2006 at 01:02 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I hope that's what supposed to happen! It saved my hide on a couple of rooms!
06-17-2006 at 01:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
Then I hope it's not a bug, 'cause it saved me too! :yes :thumbsup

Keep posting,
-Jeremy

06-17-2006 at 01:33 AM
googa
Great game googa! It's excellent, I just downloaded it. So many new elements and good ideas, I would rate it 10 out of 10.
Thanks Jeremy.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen, or if someone posted this before. But its a great, wait... excellent game!
Yes, It is intentional. There are some rooms on further levels that you need to use balls to make 2 moves in 1 to reach the goal.

[Last edited by googa at 06-17-2006 03:01 AM]
06-17-2006 at 02:58 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
It could maybe just count as two...

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

06-17-2006 at 05:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
However, it really isn't two moves, and, as googa said, there are rooms that rely on moving and being pushed by a ball only being one move in order to complete the room.

06-17-2006 at 05:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Taytanchik Ranti
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
First off: Really nice game you made there, Googa!
But I have one complaint/bug/???...

I've been trying to change the font, but was unsuccessful.
How do you actually change it? I opened the config.ini and changed hostias.ttf to argosy2.ttf (a font that I've extended by umlauts and punctuation marks, some time ago ;) ). It didn't work, although it is a ttf-file and it is named Argosy2. Then I noticed, that config.ini is case sensitive, so if you change HOSTIAS.ttf to hostias.ttf it won't work and will display the letters in Arial(?).
So I tried ARGOSY2: didn't work. ARGOSY: nope. I renamed the file to simply Argosy, who knows, maybe config doesn't like numbers...
Still unsuccessful...
I also tried the other way round: Rename the Argosy file itself to Hostias.ttf, but that didn't work either.
I even tried with a different font than Argosy, but well... nothing.

I'm a bit confused now; it looks so easy, but seems to be impossible. ;)
I also wonder, why it has to be HOSTIAS, although the file itself is Hostias. That's just one upper-case letter.
I also looked into the file using a font creator program, but I couldn't find a line "HOSTIAS" or something.

Answers please! :)

06-18-2006 at 01:49 AM
Page 5 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : Bug Tracking. (If you're having problems running Wonderquest, post here..)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com