Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : Bug Tracking. (If you're having problems running Wonderquest, post here..)
Page 4 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kevin_P86
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 535
IP: Logged
icon Re: Bug Tracking. (0)  
I remember someone mentioning something like this before, so its possible that its already been taken care of, but I thought I'd mention it anyways:

I restored back to a previous room (room A), played it for a bit (specifically, landed on a save point), restored back to the room I was at before restoring (room B), and pressed 'r' (to restart) without landing in a save point in room B, and was restarted back in room A.

03-01-2006 at 04:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
googa
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 282
icon Re: Bug Tracking. (+1)  
Bug already fixed Kevin. Thanks.
03-01-2006 at 05:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
In 14 4w1s, you should play around with the relationships between boxes, green snakes, and "off" force arrows. It's hard to explain what happens exactly, but in the second snake chamber, it's possible to send the box onto the force arrow without being directly pushed on it. The snake just needs to brush up against the box.

Level 14, Gaia River (6) can be skipped by using the scientist, which also allows you to skip the final room. A mud square or two can fix this.

03-01-2006 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
googa
Gaia River Bug fixed.

Robobob, I'm almost 100% sure the snake bug is already fixed. I just don't know if I fixed it before or after the V2.0 release. (Or if we're talking about different bugs).

If anyone finds a Bug that is too hard to describe, the best solution is to send me the player's file folder zippped.
Try to reproduce the bug. And when you have only one move left, zip it and send me to alienleader-at-gmail.com
This way makes the debuging process easier and faster.

03-01-2006 at 06:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Here's my player file, one move before the snake-box-arrow bug. The snake moves south, the box moves west.

03-01-2006 at 07:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
googa
Snake bug fixed.

(Feel free to remove the attachment).

Thanks.

[Last edited by googa at 03-01-2006 08:42 PM]
03-01-2006 at 08:41 PM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Trivial solution for the beginning of Forest of the Dead one. Instead of running through the door after striking the orb, you can wait until it closes, still standing on the yellow door, then flick the door back open.

03-01-2006 at 11:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
googa
Bug fixed Beef Row.
03-02-2006 at 12:15 AM
RoboBob3000
Stepping onto a boomerang character swapper when facing NW, SW, NE, or SE will turn you into an non-functional boomerang guy. Not sure if this is intentional.

03-02-2006 at 01:11 AM
googa
It's intentional. Throwing the boomerang diagonally is too unpredictable.
03-02-2006 at 06:29 PM
RoboBob3000
Hmm, maybe stepping on a swapper then could automatically orient you in a functional direction (by rotating clockwise)? Or maybe the swapper won't work if you're facing diagonally? I don't think the current solution is a particularly elegant one.

03-02-2006 at 06:48 PM
googa
Yes. I think I'll block the movement if the character is facing diagonally. The Heroes will only be able to step on the aborigine's swapper if they're facing N, S, E or W.

Edit: Changes made.

PS: I also need to find a good royalty-free sound effect for the boomerang too.

[Last edited by googa at 03-03-2006 12:49 AM]
03-03-2006 at 12:32 AM
RoboBob3000
In version 2.1, when you re-enter a room with a collectable secret after it's been picked up, it won't appear. However, if you press the restart button while in the room, it will reappear, although you can't collect it again.

03-04-2006 at 01:12 AM
googa
Dough! (Homer Simpson's interjection)

I updated the file. It's just a graphical bug. If anyone wants to fix it now, just re-download the patch.

[Last edited by googa at 03-04-2006 02:01 AM]
03-04-2006 at 01:56 AM
RoboBob3000
icon Re: Bug Tracking. (+2)  
More bugs with the secret counter. I can increase it artifically.

I collected 2/3 of the first level secrets, and because I understood the system to keep track of those regardless of where I restored, I decided to move to the next level. From the restore screen however, when I went to the second level the counter was back down to 0/50.

I thought that maybe the counter only updated when you completed the level, so I went back the level one exit (with 2/3 secrets again) and exited. This worked and gave me 2/50 secrets regardless of where I restored.

I decided to restore again at the level one exit, where I had 2/3 level secrets and 2/50 total secrets and exited again. This gave me 4/3 level secrets and 4/50 total secrets. This could be repeated indefinately.

03-04-2006 at 01:56 AM
googa
yes, it's updated only when you finish a level.

I'll take a look at it now..

A fixed version will be available in a few minutes.

Got the bug, fixing.

[Last edited by googa at 03-04-2006 03:35 AM]
03-04-2006 at 01:59 AM
googa
Bug fixed.

Once again thanks Robobob! You have helped me a lot with the debugging.

I think four or five people have downloaded the 2.1 patch, so please re-download it.

[Last edited by googa at 03-04-2006 03:36 AM]
03-04-2006 at 03:21 AM
RoboBob3000
Hey, it's no problem. If it helps get a fun game out there, then we're all winners!

03-04-2006 at 05:14 AM
RoboBob3000
Using Sophie and a lit torch, burn one of the wubba-like things until it becomes hostile. Let it kill you, then hit undo. Poof! It's gone!

03-05-2006 at 03:09 AM
googa
Using Sophie and a lit torch, burn one of the wubba-like things until it becomes hostile. Let it kill you, then hit undo. Poof! It's gone!

Bug Fixed.
03-07-2006 at 05:21 PM
googa
Robobob said: (Another thread)

One general thing that needed fixing in the game was the explosion animation. At least I assume that's what was causing all of the slowdown. Explosions involving the Pandora's Box went slowly, and rooms with many explosives (particularly in level 15) slowed the game down to an almost unplayable speed. A simple fix for those rooms with too many explosives is to remove those unnecessary for the chain reactions, but the real goal here would be to find a way to make them not slow things down in the first place!

I improved the speed of bomb's rendering code.
A question: What's is your PC spec?

I'm trying to identify the WQ minimum PC spec. Anyone with low-end PC please post a comment about the game performance here.

[Last edited by googa at 03-10-2006 01:42 AM]
03-10-2006 at 01:41 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226

File: Mapscreen.JPG (66.1 KB)
Downloaded 38 times.
License: Public Domain
I wasn't far in 2.0 yet, so I deleted it and reinstalled the latest version. Didn't get far without encountering problems.

- Selecting restore in the main menu for a quest that hasn't been explored yet, results in the following error: (crashes the game)

"Error saving secret file"

- The restore screen looks pretty weird when I'm playing in window mode. I've attached a picture of it. It looks normal if I select full screen instead.

[Last edited by Doom at 03-10-2006 08:10 PM]
03-10-2006 at 07:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
googa
The restore screen looks pretty weird when I'm playing in window mode. I've attached a picture of it. It looks normal if I select full screen instead.

I forgot to mention: WQ runs in 16Bits per pixel When running in windowed mode, the current Bit per pixel must be the windows default BBP. This is happening because your desktop is running at 32 BBP.

Solutions: 1) Run fullscreen.
2) Run windowed (Setting the desktop BPP = 16)

As soon as I finish another high priority tasks first, I 'll code routines to run the game in 32 bits per pixel too.

- Selecting restore in the main menu for a quest that hasn't been explored yet, results in the following error: (crashes the game)
"Error saving secret file"

Bug fixed.
03-10-2006 at 08:09 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
using Quest v. 6.0:

L8 1S 3E: there's a scroll where Rick talks to Chen. But I haven't met anyone named Rick.

also, on all the scrolls - quotes (whether as single or double) appear as little boxes for me. When I've encountered problems like that in webpages (which is perhaps unrelated) it was usually because the person had used Word or something to edit their text and the quotes were "high ascii" (such as single quote being 192 instead of 39). I'm using Win2k, so perhaps I just don't have the font definition you're expecting.

03-17-2006 at 10:42 PM
googa
L8 1S 3E: there's a scroll where Rick talks to Chen. But I haven't met anyone named Rick.

Bug fixed.

I'll see what i can do about the other bug...
03-18-2006 at 06:32 PM
silver
googa wrote:

Bug Fixed.

I assume you mean in an unreleased 2.2? because this bug happens for me in 2.1/6.0.

--

new bug (sorry), but very reproducable: step on a mimic^H^H^H^H^Helemental potion, make one move (any one move). hit undo. it goes back "two moves" to the potion placement instead of one move undoing the thing you just did

03-22-2006 at 11:54 AM
googa
I assume you mean in an unreleased 2.2? because this bug happens for me in 2.1/6.0.

Yes, will be fixed on the next version.

new bug (sorry), but very reproducible: step on a mimic^H^H^H^H^Helemental potion, make one move (any one move). hit undo. it goes back "two moves" to the potion placement instead of one move undoing the thing you just did

No "sorries" please, silver. ;) The more bugs posted, the better the final version will be.

Rank points 199? Let me complete the 200.

This is not exactly a bug, notice when you place an elemental, no move is done.

I think I'll change it.

[Last edited by googa at 03-22-2006 06:36 PM]
03-22-2006 at 06:32 PM
silver

File: DxDiag.txt (45 KB)
Downloaded 59 times.
License: Public Domain
That's fine that no move is done, but I think I (and possibly other people) would find it more intuitive to have to hit undo BEFORE making another move to replace the mimic.

move-onto-potion + place-mimic = one move
do something = next move

rather than

move-onto-potion = one move
place-mimic + do something = next move

but I could be wrong :)

====

EDIT: 14th level, 1N 4W : crashes for me, often. usually when I move east or west, though I can't see enough of the room to determine why that might be :) there's no error log, either. I assume it has something to do with elementals dying off screen, or snake/elemental interaction off screen, or snakes dying off screen. but, really, I have no idea. could also be I'm out of RAM, but I do start the game fresh (since it crashed and all) every time.

(looks like you found a way to slow down my progress :))

I'm attaching my DxDiag.txt

[Last edited by silver at 03-23-2006 10:27 AM : new bug report]
03-22-2006 at 10:18 PM
silver
sometimes the problem with being good and not trying to double post is that the thread is slow and no one will notice the new edit.

03-23-2006 at 06:30 PM
googa
(looks like you found a way to slow down my progress )
hehe O:-

Is this happening only in this room?

You can try to reproduce it and send me your zipped Player folder one move before the crash. It would be far easier to debug.

email: alienleader-at-gmail.com

Thanks.

------------------------------------------
EDIT: Nevermind silver, I fixed the bug.
------------------------------------------

[Last edited by googa at 03-23-2006 09:46 PM]
03-23-2006 at 06:47 PM
Page 4 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : Bug Tracking. (If you're having problems running Wonderquest, post here..)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com