Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Improved Custom Style And Theming Support (Three specific ideas, see inside.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NekoIncardine
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 127
IP: Logged
icon Improved Custom Style And Theming Support (+1)  
1) I would like to see the ability to have more than three styles in the next DROD. There are a few nice user-created styles, but to use one, you have to (temporarily at least) overwrite one of the existing styles. The ability to add additional styles rather than replacement styles would be nice.

2) Obviously, there's the integration issue - if someone doesn't have the add-on style, they only see the default Foundation theme. Perhaps it should be possible to have graphical styles integrated into the holds themselves? This could also be given lesser extensions (unique objects and the like), or greater extensions (custom music).

3) Speaking of custom music, perhaps it should be possible to have music unique to a specific room or (if implemented, it's been discussed in other threads) cutscene? Take the JtRH demo; imagine the music changing to boring elevator music with strangely dramatic undertones as you enter the Negotiator's room. Subtle, but nice touch. (This one may already be possible with scripting. I'm not sure, though.)

11-18-2005 at 10:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Improved Custom Style And Theming Support (0)  
I know I'm pretty keen on 1 and 2.

What would be cool is if you could have styles work the same way as holds do, and you could rate them. That way instead of being embedded in a hold, they could be used in multiple holds and you wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel if you wanted a desert style or a jungle or something.

11-18-2005 at 12:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
3 is already possible.

There has been discussion of 1 and 2 in other threads - I don't have time to search them out and post the links here at the moment, but you might want to look for it and see what has already been announced.

11-18-2005 at 02:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Yellow_Mage
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
3. is possible but isn't it in the actually *.hold file, so it takes up a lot of space for hold. And secondly, if it's a large file it takes a while before it starts to play. I think it would be better if it was optional to have music files as an add-on to make hold files smaller and play of directory location. I suppose it's the same issue with sounds/voices.

This could lead onto something else, but since I haven't tried addin voices, there could be an option to pack sounds in a *.hold file or not, so there an option for like a seperate download so sounds play from a dir. (if you choose to download sound pack later) or you can play it "lite" with no sounds.

Click here to view the secret text

11-19-2005 at 02:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Improved Custom Style And Theming Support (Three specific ideas, see inside.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com