Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Wrong Way (One Room Hold Mini Contest)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Rabscuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2460
IP: Logged
icon The Wrong Way (+2)  
Ok!

Your mission - should you choose to accept it - is to construct a hold. One hold with a single level and a single room. I guess you can have multiple stairs and entrances if you want.

The theme for the room is....

** THE WRONG WAY **

You can interpret this however you like, but it's worth noting that rooms will be judged on a combination of theme-ness and fun-ness.

The hold should be completable in under 3000 moves. Make sure that the hold is Anyone:Edit and save a victory demo (or demos).

Send the hold and demo(s) to me at sanguivore at yahoo at com.

Entries close at Local Time:11-19-2005 at 05:00 AM
This is in negative 957 weeks, 5 days

Possible deadline extension - see below

Entries have closed

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 11-19-2005 09:12 AM]
11-12-2005 at 12:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
icon Re: The Wrong Way (+1)  
Sounds good!

I like the idea of just creating a single room for a contest.
Now to see what fun ideas people come up with.
11-12-2005 at 12:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Yellow_Mage
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
Ok, I'll give this a go.

I'll probably make it epic or something.

Click here to view the secret text

11-12-2005 at 02:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Sent my entry!
11-12-2005 at 08:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
icon Re: The Wrong Way (0)  
Yellow_Mage wrote:
Ok, I'll give this a go.

I'll probably make it epic or something.

As long as it's one room and can be completed in less than 3000 moves, it can be as epic as you like. ;)

Doom wrote:
Sent my entry!

Received. :thumbsup
11-12-2005 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Question - is it possible to submit more than one entry?

11-13-2005 at 04:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
icon Re: The Wrong Way (+3)  
I don't see why not.

Hmm... but if you submit more than one, only your best one counts for getting the main prizes. So for example if your holds were rated 2nd and 3rd, you'd only get the prize for 2nd place.

Speaking of prizes, I'm thinking everyone gets two points per entry.
Then 1st, 2nd and 3rd get at least 10/7/5. Definitely more than that.

*pokes the bar*

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 11-13-2005 06:33 AM]
11-13-2005 at 05:25 AM
larrymurk
I emailed my entry.

Not quite as fast as Henri, but not bad.
11-15-2005 at 01:41 AM
Yellow_Mage
Sent mine.

The temptation to make it evil was quite high, after I just played one of your one room hold today, Rab. The Indecisive Poppy. That room is nuts.

11-15-2005 at 04:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
I hope Rabscuttle is submitting an entry. We don't want to hear any "It wouldn't be fair to enter a contest I'm coordinating business."
11-15-2005 at 12:54 PM
Rabscuttle
Actually, I have exams this week but I do have an idea or two and should be able to cobble something together on Friday/Saturday. I definitely have something planned for the compilation hold.

I can see LM and YM's entries in my mailbox. Huzzah!
11-15-2005 at 03:26 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Yellow_Mage wrote:
The Indecisive Poppy.

Intriguing title. Where is it found?

11-15-2005 at 03:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Umm... in feature requests, obviously. :)

11-16-2005 at 04:57 AM
Rabscuttle
This is my plan:

1. Once the deadline has passed, I will take all the entries and combine them into a single hold. Each room will be on its own level.

2. I will then post the hold and a voting thread, and people can vote for a week.

3. Once the voting is over and prizes are awarded etc, there will be a week or so where people can make adjustments to their holds if they wish.

4. I will post the hold on the holds board.

===

So, couple of things to note

* I'd like voting to be done with the architect's identity a secret. So don't say who you are (at first) :D

* I will keep the name of the level that you give me. PM me if you want me to call your level something else.
11-16-2005 at 06:38 AM
larrymurk
For anyone who didn't realize (like me), you need the entrance and the exit stairs in your room.

Rabscuttle, I'd suggest a warp room or something so the player can:

1. Play the rooms in any order.

2. Skip rooms as needed.

There's actually a fun idea that Henri came up with that I call the Doom Stairwell. It would allow the player to play the rooms in any order, yet the hold can not be completed until all levels are solved. If you're interested, I can PM you to explain it and we can see if Henri is OK with it.

[Last edited by larrymurk at 11-16-2005 02:56 PM]
11-16-2005 at 02:08 PM
Doom
Right... It's not a copyrighted idea or anything :D

I think that a good idea for making multiple holds into one hold is to make all of them into separate levels and the first level into a level selection area (much like Unfortunate Architect compilation hold). If you want the hold to be completable only after all levels have been completed, you can make all levels exit into a room in the level selection area that has a monster. Once all monster rooms in the level selection area have been cleared, the blue door with ending stairs behing opens.

I saw this idea in some Architecture board hold, but I forgot which one.
11-16-2005 at 02:24 PM
Yellow_Mage
Rabscuttle wrote:
Umm... in feature requests, obviously. :)

Yeah, that was so obvious I couldn't remember where it was, shamefully. :P

11-16-2005 at 03:47 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Doom wrote:
Right... It's not a copyrighted idea or anything :D

I think that a good idea for making multiple holds into one hold is to make all of them into separate levels and the first level into a level selection area (much like Unfortunate Architect compilation hold). If you want the hold to be completable only after all levels have been completed, you can make all levels exit into a room in the level selection area that has a monster. Once all monster rooms in the level selection area have been cleared, the blue door with ending stairs behing opens.

I saw this idea in some Architecture board hold, but I forgot which one.

*Shameless stealing of credit*

And yes, that idea is copyrighted to the fullest extent of the law. ;)

Monsters aren't actually needed. Just mark the room as required. Or even easier still, just set the stairs in the central room to lead to entrances to the contest rooms, so long as they're located on the same level.

11-16-2005 at 05:56 PM
Doom
EDIT: Just to be clear, the description in the post above is not the "Doom stairwell" idea. That's another story. I was only saying what could work well here in my opinion.

I didn't mean rowrow's hold for obvious reasons. (Read my replies in it's thread...)

I believe I meant this one.

Or even easier still, just set the stairs in the central room to lead to entrances to the contest rooms, so long as they're located on the same level.
This sounds like an even better idea :thumbsup

[Last edited by Doom at 11-16-2005 07:19 PM]
11-16-2005 at 07:04 PM
Rabscuttle
Yep, I already had in mind something along these lines.

Each room will be on its own level. On the selection level there will be a separate room with the way in and way out of each level.

Each of these rooms will have a monster in it that can only be killed after returning from conquering the corresponding level.

So it will be kind of a cross between Unfortunate Architect and HIJK. End hold texts can be used as the returning level entrance texts.
11-17-2005 at 01:49 AM
larrymurk
Glad to see you're on top of it Rab... :yes
11-17-2005 at 01:54 AM
Chalks
well, I'll be emailing my room as soon as I get my demo recorded. :D

edit: sent mine in! :thumbsup

[Last edited by Chalks at 11-18-2005 04:49 AM]
11-18-2005 at 03:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
:thumbsup (*3 ;))

There's just under 24 hours to go.

If you've sent me a hold, you should have heard back from me by now.

11-18-2005 at 06:04 AM
Chalks
I got a reply back, but I was wondering...I sent you three emails (yes I know...spamalot). I fixed the trivial solutions I had with the last one. Did you get it?
11-18-2005 at 02:03 PM
Rabscuttle
Yep, I got all three :)
11-18-2005 at 02:40 PM
Chalks
may I suggest a rule?

"Can't vote on your own room."

maybe an useless rule, but I like it. Not that I would ever do such a thing... O:-

edit: oh. I didn't realize that. :nOob <---that should be a face.

[Last edited by Chalks at 11-18-2005 06:27 PM]
11-18-2005 at 04:03 PM
Doom
I'm pretty sure, that's not necessary.

Usually there's a 1-10 poll for each entry in these kinds of contests and every author must vote 10 for their own entr(y/ies), so there are no advantages or disadvantages for anyone. (Except entry authors who miss the voting...)
11-18-2005 at 05:28 PM
Rabscuttle
What Doom said.
11-18-2005 at 10:02 PM
Rabscuttle
Someone has asked for an extension, and I've still got a bit of work to do on the hold, so I'll extend the deadline a little. The absolute deadline is Local Time:11-19-2005 at 11:00 PM in negative 957 weeks, 4 days.

I'd rather release it sooner rather than later (because the submissions are awesome) so drop me a PM if you want to make use of this time. (Otherwise I'll release it ASAP)

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 11-19-2005 08:29 AM]
11-19-2005 at 07:39 AM
Rabscuttle
Ok, that offer just expired :P

Stay tuned....
11-19-2005 at 08:29 AM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The Wrong Way (One Room Hold Mini Contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com