Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : WonderQuest (A Turn based Puzzle/Strategy game..)
Page 4 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Birkoff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 62
IP: Logged
icon Re: WonderQuest (+2)  
I just met Derick Berk, the danish sailor ;) , what just struck me is that i've NEVER met anyone with either of those names :? , and i'm a dane myself :thumbsup , but say the word and i'll PM some danish names to you... :cool

"A hero is no braver than an
ordinary man, but he is brave five
minutes longer."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
12-07-2005 at 08:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
googa
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 282
icon Re: WonderQuest (0)  
Hehe, It's too much work for me to take care of all the details.
Please, send me the list. Anyway, I think Berk sounds cool. I can probably change his first name "Derick".

[Last edited by googa at 12-11-2005 06:12 AM]
12-09-2005 at 05:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
Please let me choose my own keyboard setting. I have a really hard time manouvering with settings I'm not used to :?. So far I'm on level 3. It looks quite good and the non DROD elements are cool.
12-11-2005 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I just started playing this - seems fun, though I'm still in level 1, but I already found the archer and it's kinda cool.

Is "squeleton" a deliberate misspelling? I couldn't find anyone commenting on it.

[Last edited by eytanz at 12-12-2005 01:03 AM]
12-12-2005 at 12:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
googa
Thanks for the bug eytanz.
Feel free to correct the english, this is the best way to learn it. I mean "Skeleton", and it's already fixed.
The key config option will be available soon. :D

[Last edited by googa at 12-12-2005 01:13 AM]
12-12-2005 at 01:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
googa
Birkoff wrote:
I just met Derick Berk, the danish sailor ;) , what just struck me is that i've NEVER met anyone with either of those names :? , and i'm a dane myself :thumbsup , but say the word and i'll PM some danish names to you... :cool

Thanks for the list Birkoff. You said that you found some Danish people with the last name "Berk". Amazing coincidence. I thought I had created this name. The sailor name now is "Ragnar Berk".

For some people that are mad at me because of butterflies: O:-

If you play chess, they move like the knight.

x o x o x
o x x x o
x x B x x
o x x x o
x o x o x

B = Butterffly
o = possible movement

[Last edited by googa at 12-12-2005 06:14 PM]
12-12-2005 at 04:16 PM
googa
ErikH2000 wrote:

* Here is one problem with DROD that is too late for us to fix, but in Wonderquest you might be able to do something about it: Monsters in both our games move in a predetermined sequence which is probably dependent on the order they were placed in the editor. This is hidden information that creates unpredictable behavior, i.e. in a group of roaches moving towards the player, some early-moving roaches will bump off of late-moving roaches. A fix for this is to order the sequence of movement based on how close monsters are to the player. Closer monsters move first and further monsters move a bit later into the empty space created by the closer monster's previous movement. So you get nice tight formations of monsters with which the player may easily predict and form strategies.

Erik. Just to say I’m trying this idea. I’ll travel (will be back on Friday), and I will post the result here. I think you must be curious about it. :)

[Last edited by googa at 12-12-2005 08:08 PM]
12-12-2005 at 08:07 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
googa wrote:
Erik. Just to say I’m trying this idea. I’ll travel (will be back on Friday), and I will post the result here. I think you must be curious about it. :)
I certainly am, Gustavo. I'd like to see you pull it off.

-Erik

12-12-2005 at 09:24 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
It's an intriguing idea, but it's somewhat problematic on its own for the simple reason that monster movement order mainly matters when monsters are next to each other, not when they are far apart. And when they are next to each other, then they will have similar distances from the player, and in many cases identical distances. So you'd have to implement an additional disambiguation procedure.

12-12-2005 at 09:36 PM
ErikH2000
icon Re: WonderQuest (+1)  
eytanz wrote:
So you'd have to implement an additional disambiguation procedure.
Agreed. I think using a distance calc that favors orthogonal over diagonal is natural. After that, favoring clockwise from 12 o'clock could disambiguate remaining equidistant points. The distances from various offsets could be precalced in an array for quick lookup if the algorithm threatened to get too processor-heavy.

Well, Gustavo's smart. He'll work something out.

-Erik

12-12-2005 at 09:44 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509

Just a little note to the webmasters...

I've noticed that googa's real name is Gustavo Broering Duarte, so I think it should be corrected from the forums main page.
12-15-2005 at 03:27 PM
ErikH2000
Bombadil wrote:
I've noticed that googa's real name is Gustavo Broering Duarte, so I think it should be corrected from the forums main page.
I think someplace else he used just the 1st and 3rd names, although I could be wrong. In any case, Gustavo can tell me how he wants to be know, and I'll update the description accordingly.

-Erik

12-15-2005 at 05:27 PM
googa

File: example.jpg (14.4 KB)
Downloaded 65 times.
License: Public Domain
I think eytanz is right; you will always have a movement order problem. I’ll leave it the way it is. It’s better for puzzle creators.

One way could be to move the monsters that are closer to the hero first, beginning with the ones that are closest to the center of the room. This way you could enumerate the sequence off all of them just by looking at them. If they are equidistant to the player, one of them will be closer to the room center. The problem is that Wonderquest room size is 41 x 29 (hahaha) and I should have 2 even numbers for a perfect calculation.

<--- Download the example jpg.

[Last edited by googa at 12-17-2005 03:06 AM]
12-16-2005 at 11:30 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
My comments:

Wonderquest is the best game i've ever played!
BTW: don't make the first few levels too hard or people might stop playing. A smoother curve should be there too.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 12-19-2005 11:17 PM]
12-18-2005 at 01:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: WonderQuest (+1)  
Well, I'm in level 3 now. I'm really liking this game, though I find the interface a bit annoying. I wish I could use QW to rotate the sword - that's what I'm used to, after all.

I think this game is definitely shaping up to be a real masterpiece. It's similar enough to DROD to attract the same audience (such as me), yet different enough to be a totally seperate entity that's more than worth playing on its own. I'll be sure to play the whole thing when it's done.

One minor annoyance - I don't like the way scrolls are used to advance the plot. They are somewhat inconsistent - sometimes they are hints, sometimes they are descriptions of events/dialogue, and sometimes they are internal monolongue. It's confusing, I think a different icon should be used for each.

Also, I don't like the censored scrolls (well, I only saw one but it's a pet peeve). I think it's best if you don't use obscene language, but if you think it's important to use it, then use it, don't use silly starred-out words. It's totally pointless - everyone knows what the word is, anyway. If it's important to you to make the game appropriate for kids, don't include such language at all.

12-19-2005 at 04:28 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
Agreed. It doesn't help to star it out.
12-19-2005 at 11:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
googa
There is only one scroll using an inappropriate word. And it’s already removed. I didn’t removed it before because I thought few people would test it. I’m not uploading new updated versions, so, if anyone download it, please ignore the bad jokes.

There is a key customization option already built.

The gameplay will still change a lot on further levels. The game only resembles DROD in the beginning.

I think all you guys agree that it's too hard for newbies, right? I'll make easier levels..

[Last edited by googa at 12-20-2005 03:22 AM]
12-20-2005 at 03:10 AM
John259
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
Where can Wonderquest be downloaded from now? I searched this thread and the forum in general in vain... John

02-08-2006 at 03:27 PM
googa
I removed the link, John. Please wait a little bit because A new version will be released probably today.
02-08-2006 at 04:16 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
googa wrote:
It's about twelve people:

A sailor from Denmark,
A teenager from Germany
An American Beggar,
A priest from Brazil
A millionaire from UK
A Stripper from Italy
A Psychiatrist from China
An Engineer from South Africa
An Aborigin from Australia
A mad Artist from Russia
An Indian Scientist
And a dog from Iraq

Fight your way through more than 20 hardcore puzzle levels to discover.

Lesse, I'm partly through level 13, I've met:
A sailor from Denmark - check
A teenager from Germany - check
An American Beggar - check
A priest from Brazil - check
A millionaire from UK - check
A Stripper from Italy - I assume she changed to an activist from France
A Psychiatrist from China - check
An Engineer from South Africa - not yet
An Aborigin from Australia - not yet
A mad Artist from Russia - this is the archer, no?
An Indian Scientist - not yet
And a dog from Iraq - not yet

4 characters in 2.5 levels? or is Master Orion 6.0, with it's 15 levels, still incomplete/beta? or have characters dropped?

03-22-2006 at 11:41 AM
googa
Oh, I didn't have time to update that post. I'll Update it now..

This is the full game,(15 levels) but there is a lot more features already implemented. The continuation depends of a few factors.

How did you get to L13 so quickly? You posted a help for L9 two days ago?

[Last edited by googa at 03-22-2006 06:12 PM]
03-22-2006 at 05:58 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
I think I did 10 and 11 monday night and 12 last night... keep in mind I'm the record holder for fastest first-time completion of DROD.

care to "spoil" (not really a spoiler since it probably would be in the hypothetical docs for a version that included it) what you were thinking for the dog's powers/limitations/special ?

[Last edited by silver at 03-22-2006 10:24 PM]
03-22-2006 at 10:21 PM
googa
silver wrote:
care to "spoil" (not really a spoiler since it probably would be in the hypothetical docs for a version that included it) what you were thinking for the dog's powers/limitations/special ?

There is no dog anymore, there is "Steve W", you know what I'm talking about. You're on L13.

You already know the concept of running, right? (Jax's special)

The dog, (Possibly Steve W in a future release) could only be able to run (special key) and to rotate. the only way to kill monsters is to pass running adjacently to it. If the dog collide with a monster, he dies.

A very important PS: All the characters have their characteristics limited for the sake of simplicity. I promise, in the future versions, all of them will be equivalently balanced. For example: Jax still needs some more strengths.
03-22-2006 at 11:02 PM
Page 4 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : WonderQuest (A Turn based Puzzle/Strategy game..)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com