Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Sound loss (may be a bug, or just stupid me)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
IP: Logged
icon Sound loss (0)  
None of the sound works on my game. awhil ago it just had stabbing and other sound effects but now nothing.
I can listen to music over the game so that may be the cause.

I wish that man would stay away
11-10-2005 at 03:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Sound loss (0)  
This seems to randomly happen to me as well. Stupid question: did you exit DROD fully and restart? Usually it works for me then. If not...is anything in your drod.err file?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-10-2005 at 03:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
...have you checked the sound settings under 'settings'?
11-10-2005 at 05:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
It also makes a funny noise when it comes on sortof like a high pitch noise. Answering your question, it hasn't worked for weeks. Where is the error file?

11-11-2005 at 01:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
The spitemaster wrote:
It also makes a funny noise when it comes on sortof like a high pitch noise.
That's strange. Is another program competing with DROD for the sound card? (Do you run other things and DROD at the same time?) Can you play music and other sounds fine, or is your sound not working in general? Have you tried turning off sounds and turning them on again inside the game?
Answering your question, it hasn't worked for weeks. Where is the error file?
It should be in your Data folder (as drod.err), inside your JtRH folder.

11-11-2005 at 01:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Quote from err file
"FIRST LOG IN SESSION 10/17/05 6:50PM *** A sound effect failed to load. Check whether the filenames specified in DROD.INI are correct. Assertion error in line 346"and it repeats for pages. Nothing is battling for the sound card. I give it times where there is no misic playing over it but then I give up and listen to other things

11-11-2005 at 02:21 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Can you post your drod.ini file here so we can check it against our copies and see if there is anything missing?

If the drod.ini file is correct, then it seems likely that something got corrupted. (It could be something as simple as a file or folder name got changed somehow, but that's not necessarily easy to diagnose.) A reinstallation might be in order. Before you do that, though, you need to make sure to export any holds you are working on, and your player file. You should be doing that anyway as a backup every so often. You could install to a new folder and copy your old .dat files over (player.dat, drod2_0.dat, data.dat, and text.dat...I don't know if you need all of them but it can't hurt) and see if it works in the new installation. That could save you the trouble of re-importing your player and holds as well.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-11-2005 at 02:48 AM
The spitemaster

File: drod.ini (275 bytes)
Downloaded 39 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Sound loss (+1)  
Here is the file

11-11-2005 at 03:47 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226

File: drod.ini (3 KB)
Downloaded 57 times.
License: Public Domain
Your drod.ini is missing the sound information.

I've attached a clean file in this post that you can use as a replacement.
11-11-2005 at 04:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Yep, any time you hear those noises/beeps on startup and then sound doesn't work, there's a 99% chance it's because your drod.ini is missing the sound information. I'm not sure why this happens...maybe the app isn't getting enough time to write out changes to the .ini on exit (i.e. the user or OS is killing the app early or something).

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-12-2005 at 07:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I don't know how doable this is, but perhaps when DROD is started, it can check to see that the .ini has all its correct parts, and if it doesn't, add them with default options?

(This option, of course, could be turned on/off if you needed it to for some reason)
11-13-2005 at 05:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Banjooie wrote:
I don't know how doable this is, but perhaps when DROD is started, it can check to see that the .ini has all its correct parts, and if it doesn't, add them with default options?
Done in 2.0.11!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-22-2005 at 01:10 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Sound loss (may be a bug, or just stupid me)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com