Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Perfection is its Own Sustenance (Our News for November.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Perfection is its Own Sustenance (0)  
The concept of perfection has sadly become something of a straw man. Does anyone dare claim to seek perfection these days? Modern cynicism demands we resolve ourselves to drab practicality. What if I just say I want a perfect tuna fish sandwich? Oh yeah... with the exactly correct proportions of albacore, mayo, cheddar, ground pepper, and grilled rye bread smeared with butter. Is that so obsessive and delusional that it will lead to atrocities and my eventual undoing? It's not like I'm marching into Poland here. Mmmm... tuna fish.

So why's everybody gotta be so down on perfection? Larry Murk isn't. He didn't shy away from impossibly high standards when constructing his latest masterpiece. Nor was he falsely modest. In fact, so confident was he in the value of his creation that he named it...

Perfection

Our Fall 2005 Smitemaster's Selection is here, right now, on CaravelNet. Grab it and land-rush for best scores in the virgin territories! This is the hardest set of levels we've released for the game, and it should slow you smug puppies down a bit. We met our release schedule with time to spare, but of course, nobody will remember that except Mike and me.

More game info

The CD of the game is coming next month, and we'll sell it for ten dumb bucks. Let me explain how it will work. The CD has got some nice cover art and makes an attractive keepsake. I also put extra shareware demos on it, so you can easily check out what's new in the indie gaming scene. We plan for every Smitemaster's Selection to have a corresponding CD. But these won't be big-selling items--mostly because you can download Smitemaster's Selections from CaravelNet already. We are manufacturing these CDs because we're proud of getting another release out the door and want something to remember it by--another trophy to put in the case. I invite you to be proud along with us. Have your own disc to remind you of the early days of Caravel when you helped us out. You know, the early days in 2005, before we made the big movie deals, built the theme park, set up five animation studios, bought out Hasbro, and so on.

So here comes the secret newsletter-only deal for hardcore DROD fans...

You can't see this part unless you receive the Illumination by e-mail. Go to your profile and change settings there if you'd like to fix that.

You Can't Handle the Truth

Each month, we run a new contest. I am often torn between running really popular contests that everyone will like or exploiting the contests as large-scale experiments for new kinds of games I've imagined. But you know what? It's working out fine, because my last wacky contest experiment was really popular, and this November contest is getting a lot of sign-ups too. I call it "the Truthbringers", and it's a combination of logical deduction and ruthless politics. Would you like to play? It should be a great way to get to know other people on the forum, although you might be seeing their worst sides. I encourage you to take a closer look. The sign-up deadline is coming fast. As I write this, you have a bit less than 24 hours.

Contest info

Smite to the Death

We had 56 people armed with swords and locked in an arena for our October contest. They stabbed and blew each other up. It was great! There can be only one, and this time, that one was Kevin. He was very lucky and very skillful.

Contest results buried on last page

Would You Like Freedom Fries with Your DROD

I guess there is a group of people that go around translating help files into French to make the world a Frenchier place. Their website is called "Manuels d'Aide en Français". Who was it that performed the translation of DROD help files to French? I'm not sure because I have a hard time reading French. However, I thank Didouneto for bringing it to our attention. You can have help files in French now with this nifty installer.

Direct download link

One More Month for Werlin

I like this game, Trials of Werlin, but we're not going to keep selling it. We don't want to be one of those big portal sites that have hundreds of games all in once place for you to pick from. That just doesn't fit in with our goals. It's more likely that we'll occasionally introduce fanworthy games like Werlin and give them a limited time on the stage. So I'll leave Werlin up on the site for another month. Try out the demo if you haven't already. It's a good game with a nice mix of puzzle-solving and arcade elements.

And sorry, the special offer from October is no longer available.

Trials of Werlin info

The Bar is Back

Long ago someone devised a system to once and for all quash the incessant cries of "are we there yet?" It's time to bring back the Bar, and not because everyone has recently begun clamoring for it. It's just time--that's all. At the top of the CaravelNet forum, you will see an estimate of how much time is left before our next major release, DROD: The City Beneath. That doesn't mean we're going to be saying much of anything about it. There is a lot going on between now and the TCB release, and I'd rather tell you about those events as they come up instead of hyper-fetishizing a release that is several months away. Perhaps the Bar will have a calming effect on you crazy drodiacs.

Topic Picks for November

I've been godlike for some time now, and I figure everyone deserves a taste. Largely, it's just a matter of perspective. From up in the clouds, here is what the teeming CaravelNet forum looks like.

Expanding a Fact-Based Culture
Swivel describes what is perhaps the last remaining obstacle to real fan fiction based on DROD's world of the Eighth. I bite my tongue and offer what vague promises I can.
http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=8153

Beethr 'o' Lantern
It's become an annual tradition: Clayton Weiss carves a DROD-themed pumpkin. Come see pics of his latest!
http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=8097

That Really Annoying Hold, Labyrinthitis, Beethro Goes Fourth, Ben Chisel's Five-Sweet Speeking Grauns 2.0, Great Uncle Yurgess' Hold
These are all the new holds (level collections) that have been released since the last newsletter. Did you know that at time of writing there are 7,184 rooms on CaravelNet that you can download and play?
http://www.drod.net/forum/viewboard.php?BoardID=11

Transparent Tar and Mud
It is considered most un-DROD-smanlike to hide mazes of walls under tar and mud, and yet people still do it. Here is your recourse!
http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=6596

Tilez
One of our forum members, Rob Maggio, wrote a likable new game. It's about putting things in front of balls so they move where you want them to.
http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=8181

Add or Subtract a Rule
This forum game that Chris Marks introduced is simple and fun. Well, it starts simple...
http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=8027

The Team Gulp
In America, it is not possible to make a carbonated beverage that is too large.
http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=8156

-Erik

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-07-2005 06:19 PM]
11-07-2005 at 03:06 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: Perfection is its Own Sustenance (0)  
When will you give a few things about TCB like you did with JtRH?

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

11-07-2005 at 11:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Well, seeing as I'm off the team and I'm a lot better at keeping my mouth shut these days, probably a few weeks before release is the first you'll hear about stuff concretely in TCB.

It's done that way because when people have tidbits to get excited about they go crazy excited about them and burn them out, so they're more hyped than they were and they expect everything to be so much better. So if you tell people about features that are coming that you think are awesome and everyone likes, and then you get them ready and release them, everyone's already done being excited.

11-07-2005 at 12:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
Will the TCB beta work just like the JtRH beta? As in, will Erik be sending e-mails to everyone and then will a closed beta be held for everyone who accepts Erik's invitations?

-Noah

My stuff:

11-11-2005 at 10:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Yes, that's how I plan to do it, Noah.

-Erik

11-11-2005 at 04:39 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Well, you mean everyone in the forums? Unless you've got automatic e-mails, thats going to be tedious...

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

11-24-2005 at 12:33 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Perfection is its Own Sustenance (+1)  
No, Erik hands-picks people who have done testing in the past (both Caravel releases and architectural testing) and appear to be able to handle the responsibility.

11-24-2005 at 12:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Perfection is its Own Sustenance (Our News for November.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com