Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : A new bar? (I missed the old JtRH progress bar...)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
IP: Logged
icon A new bar? (+2)  
I apologize in advance if this sounds like a very stupid request, but I do miss the bar we've used to have on the board.

Can we add a new bar on the forum? For example, progress on the next Smitemasters Selection would be very nice... ;)

At least it gives the feeling that people here are still working on something... (Aside from the fact that it's a good marketing tool as well...)

-- Tim

11-04-2005 at 11:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: A new bar? (0)  
Hey, trust me, I've been bugging Erik and Mike to put up a new Bar for a while! But it will go up when they feel it is time for it to go up. Hopefully sooner rather than later! Rest assured, we are working on the next installment of DROD, and there were sound reasons not to just put a new Bar up as soon as the JtRH one was taken down.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-04-2005 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Oh, but I'm not talking about the next installment of DROD! I know how much pressure it that will put on you guys if we do that. No, I'm against that as well.

I'm talking about Smitemasters Selections. CaravelNet is supposed to release one every season anyway. So the pressure (but much less) is there already. I actually think it would help to relieve our thirst for some time, and you guys can work with a lot more peace of mind on the next version...

But enough psychology already. Personally, I think it will actually help... But it's up to you.

-- Tim

11-05-2005 at 12:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Well, we've passed that idea around as well. I suppose if Schik could code up 2 bars, one for SS releases, one for full version releases, that would work best to me. The problem is that there will be overlap...since the SS's are released continuously, it stands to reason that one will be released very close to the TCB release, whenever that happens. So at some point that issue will have to be addressed.

Just something more to think about...

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-05-2005 at 12:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: A new bar? (+1)  
Why not just place a bar saying how close we are to the real bar?

11-05-2005 at 04:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
icon Re: A new bar? (+2)  
So, you're thinking something along these lines?

++Adam H. Peterson
11-05-2005 at 05:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
I demand equal political rights for all users! Let's have a bar displaying how many users are for and against the bar, before there is any talk of putting up a bar. Only once the voting bar has clearly shown a majority of pro-bar users can we consider having the bar back, either as a full-fledged bar, or as an interregnum bar.
11-05-2005 at 09:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: A new bar? (+3)  
I think all those bars might take up too much room - what we should do is only show one at a time, and have little labels that you click on to say which one you want to see.

I've always wanted a bar tab.

:tomato
11-05-2005 at 12:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
I don't recall the bar, I think I arrived after it left, but do you really think it would be safe to bring back ?

A number of the users here are well under the drinking age, after all.

11-06-2005 at 02:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
jamie wrote:
A number of the users here are well under the drinking age, after all.
You live in the UK, right? I hope not too many children died there every year by not drinking?
-- I drink lots of water every day, by the way.

And for those that are not old enough: the bar that used to be on this forum was a progress bar to show how far the production was of JtRH. There's even a whole thread called "Watch the bar!" for it.

Okay, and I admit it might be a bit redundant to put a progress bar for the forthcoming Smitemaster Selection hold, as I suspect it is already finished. In fact, I predict it will be out very soon ;).

-- Tim

11-06-2005 at 11:07 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
If and when the bar goes up, and if and when we get nightly bulletins on what the bar did for the day, I will do everything in my almost nonexistent power to screw with it. I'm giving you all fair warning.

11-06-2005 at 12:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
Mattcrampy wrote:
If and when the bar goes up, and if and when we get nightly bulletins on what the bar did for the day, I will do everything in my almost nonexistent power to screw with it. I'm giving you all fair warning.
You want to hit it, eh? ;)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-06-2005 at 05:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jamie
Rank Points: 365
Tim wrote:
You live in the UK, right? I hope not too many children died there every year by not drinking?
-- I drink lots of water every day, by the way.
Yep, that's right, and aaaahhh, that may explain why the schools are empty ! Time to change the law!! :lol

11-06-2005 at 05:44 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
mrimer wrote:
Mattcrampy wrote:
You want to hit it, eh? ;)

I...Mrimer, don't make me get out the image macros.
11-06-2005 at 06:11 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
On another note, The Almighty and All-Powerful Progress Bar has, at least for the moment, shown Itself in All It's Glory. :)

11-07-2005 at 11:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
We are all mighty excited and proud to feature the New and Improved Bar. May its days be full of progression.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-07-2005 at 06:46 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Bug:

Clicking the bar brings up a Javascript dialogue box informing you of the number of clicks. If you view a new page, and then press "Back" to view the main page again, the dialogue box appears again, even though you haven't clicked the bar. (This is in Mozilla Firefox 1.0.3)

11-10-2005 at 08:50 PM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
Also, and this may have been a coincidence, clicking (actually I prefer 'tapping') the bar too quickly might have caused MySQL to choke. Before it recovered, in one of the error messages it called me a robot :borg

11-10-2005 at 10:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
I've changed it so that you can't kill the server by pounding on the bar - you can only click it once per view of index.php. I've also fixed the "Back" problem.

11-11-2005 at 03:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
StuartK
Clicking the bar multiple times is no longer possible - only the first time does anything (I guess this is what you mean by 'per view of index.php')

Reloading the page and clicking again does not seem to increment the counter.

[Last edited by StuartK at 11-11-2005 06:34 PM]
11-11-2005 at 06:33 PM
Schik
StuartK wrote:
Clicking the bar multiple times is no longer possible - only the first time does anything (I guess this is what you mean by 'per view of index.php')
Yes, thas was the intent, so that people don't kill the server by pounding on the bar hundreds of times per minute. *ahem*. ;)
Reloading the page and clicking again does not seem to increment the counter.
Bah, I didn't try it in IE - it works fine in Firefox. I'll fix it, but... you gotta understand that the bar isn't the highest priority. :)

11-11-2005 at 06:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
The real issue here, though, is that now there's a security hole in the bar. After clicking on the bar once and getting the popup message, we are now free to click the bar repeatedly so as to make it go to 100% faster.

++Adam H. Peterson
11-11-2005 at 06:56 PM
StuartK
Schik wrote:
Yes, thas was the intent, so that people don't kill the server by pounding on the bar hundreds of times per minute. *ahem*. ;)
*cough*

Bah, I didn't try it in IE - it works fine in Firefox.
Tried it in Opera 7.54 and it didn't work...

I'll fix it, but... you gotta understand that the bar isn't the highest priority. :)
I do understand, and promise to keep my perspective if you choose to devote your time (and server resources) to other, far more rewarding endeavours :P FWIW anyway, with these fixes, it has rather lost its attraction to me - but perhaps that was the intention ;) I had actually worked out the latency, and hence how quickly I had to click it in order to avoid the popup (likely a little easier in the UK rather than the US) Sort of like playing one of those old clicky athletics games, except potentially more rewarding :D

[Last edited by StuartK at 11-11-2005 08:36 PM]
11-11-2005 at 08:35 PM
Schik
Yeah, but if you click so fast that you can never see the popup, then you won't see that you won, unless you just look at your mod/rank points before and after.

I should also note that it doesn't hand out goodies every X clicks, it's time-based. So clicking 100 times in 1 minute probably won't be more effective than clicking 1 time in 1 minute... unless that happens to be the minute the bar stocks up on goodies, and everyone else is clicking like mad too.

If it ruined your fun, sorry. But I gotta keep the server running!

[Last edited by Schik at 11-11-2005 08:49 PM]
11-11-2005 at 08:48 PM
StuartK
Never mind, I found a new way to increase the counter quickly though it's just a little too late in the evening to put it into practice :D
11-12-2005 at 03:01 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
*clicks madly*

11-13-2005 at 09:38 PM
Swivel
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 236
About Javascript (js) in Opera:

I've never used/seen Opera. But in one of the main scripts for the DROD forum ( http://www.drod.net/forum/functions.js), it says:
    // Confirmation is not required in the configuration file
    // or browser is Opera (crappy js implementation)
Now, Operatics, you know what the DROD forum people think of your browser.

11-15-2005 at 01:56 AM
Schik
Swivel wrote:
About Javascript (js) in Opera:

I've never used/seen Opera. But in one of the main scripts for the DROD forum ( http://www.drod.net/forum/functions.js), it says:
    // Confirmation is not required in the configuration file
    // or browser is Opera (crappy js implementation)
Now, Operatics, you know what the DROD forum people think of your browser.
To be precise, you actually know what Toan Huynh or the tForumHacks team thought of Opera's javascript implementation many years ago.

11-15-2005 at 02:57 AM
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
I am waiting for a forum game to come out called "Click The Bar".

11-18-2005 at 08:08 PM
StuartK
Tried the latest Opera 8.5, and the bar does nothing now when I click on it.

Also, in Firefox 1.0.7 I sometimes (10-25% of the time) click the bar after a page reload, and I don't get a popup, or anything.

I also haven't recieved any goodies yet :~(
12-10-2005 at 01:43 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : A new bar? (I missed the old JtRH progress bar...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com