Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Importing hold progress from different versions
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
kingpr
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
IP: Logged
icon Importing hold progress from different versions (0)  
I'm sorry if this subject has been raised before but I can't find the answer I need on any of the other threads.

I have now completed JtRH (all except a bit of the Dreamplane). For historical reasons I had completed various holds on the demo version of JtrH before completing the official version. I had also imported to the demo version all my completed holds from the AE edtion of C DroD.

How can I now import all my progress on the various other versions (principally the demo version - but if possible, which I doubt, the older DROD versions as well) into just the one official JTRH so that I can use just that (keep it updated etc) and discard the demo verion? I have looked around all the various files in the DATA folder but there is nothing obvious.

Many thanks
11-01-2005 at 11:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
kingpr
icon Re: Importing hold progress from different versions (0)  
Having looked further through the Forum I tried all sorts of things such as
Exporting the player file from JTRH demo and then importing that into the non-demo version; exporting from AE and reimporting etc None of this works.

The problem is this. If I go to "hcange location" in demo it gives a list of all the holds I have downloaded (& created) and has a record of the progress to date (so if I go to any of these holds I can restore to wherever I was last).

I simply want to transfer these data to the full version so I don't have two separate version lying around and I don't have to do all those holds I have completed all over again (especially the orginal KDD which I must have done all the way through atleast a dozen times - including level 13!)

Any suggestions?
11-02-2005 at 01:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
Exporting and reimporting your player should work fine.

However if you want to merge the two players (which it sounds like you do) you can only merge progress. Click "Export Saves Only" from the Change Player menu in the demo and import that into the full version. Note this will only preserve saves - demos and any holds you were building cannot be merged onto a new player.

Oh, and remember to import all holds you have progress in into the full JtRH before importing the player files.

"Oook!"
11-02-2005 at 01:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kingpr
OK problem solved (nearly) thanks very much. I had forgotten to import the holds first! This raises a question:

Is there an efficient way to import multiple holds. I had dozens I wanted to import and had to go through them one by one. Can't I do something like hold SHIFT and select a whole group of holds, it would be useful if I could.

Also I have been able to export the AE player file but I don't seem to be able to export the saved files to merge that with the current player. So now I have two player identities, one for the JTRH levels solved and one for the AE. Can I merge them?
(Actually I think I just found the answer and it's straightforward if a little messy). First export from AE then import to JTRH to a new identity. Then export saved games and import into the identity you want to merge with. That almost does it. Except it doesn't show that I have completed a given hold 100% although it allows me to restore all of the rooms - strange!
11-02-2005 at 03:29 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Glad you got everything worked out!
kingpr wrote:
Except it doesn't show that I have completed a given hold 100% although it allows me to restore all of the rooms - strange!
I believe if you restore to the final stairway and take it down, then the game will recognize that you conquered the hold. I'm not sure why that didn't cross over...it might be a subtle bug with the import process on AE player files or something like that.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-02-2005 at 03:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kingpr
icon Re: Importing hold progress from different versions (+1)  
You're right when I complete the last room and go down the stairs it then labels the hold as 100% complete (only problem is if the stairs are protected by blue gate then I have to complete the level first!).

Some curious observations though. When I import the player file from the export file from AE it shows holds as 100% complete. Also when I then upload my scores to caravelnet from that imported identity it correctly shows completed holds when I look at my scores. And when I restore I can go to any of the rooms in the hold (provided I have completed all the rooms of course)

However, when I export the saved games file from JTRH and merge that into the previous identity then it looses the information that a hold is completed. This doesn't happen when I export saved games from the demo version of JTRH and merge into that identity.

I don't know if this is a bug or not. It's a minor inconvenience as far as I'm concerned. The whole object of the exercise was to have one game with one identity with a complete record of where I am on all the holds I have tried regardless of whether I did them in AE or JtRH-demo. This I have sort of achieved in a rather tedious way.
11-03-2005 at 12:14 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Importing hold progress from different versions
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com