Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Server Time Appears To Be Out
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon Server Time Appears To Be Out (+1)  
The server time, and hence the time I'm told when things have been posted and when they're due, appears to me to be an hour ahead of where it should be. I've got my profile set to +10 GMT, which is Canberra time, so I figure it might have to do with daylight savings and me being in the southern hemisphere.

10-28-2005 at 01:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1377
icon Re: Server Time Appears To Be Out (+1)  
Yeah, I noticed that when we went onto Daylight Saving time here in New Zealand, DROD time is now an hour out for me as well.
10-28-2005 at 01:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I think Daylight Savings Time occurs this weekend in the U.S. (seems later than usual to me) so that's probably the discrepancy.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-28-2005 at 01:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Server Time Appears To Be Out (0)  
It's my understanding that this DST stuff can get fairly complicated. Different countries start DST at different times, and our server... jeez, I don't know if it's going by European Union DST (hosting provider is UK-based) or US DST rules, but there's a good chance that they won't match Australia. So you might want to turn DST off and set the adjustment forwards/backwards yourself.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 10-28-2005 02:07 AM]
10-28-2005 at 02:03 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Server Time Appears To Be Out (0)  
Well, DST starts here this weekend. We'll see if the problem rights itself. (I vaguely recall that this isn't new to me, but then this is the first time I've mentioned it.)

10-28-2005 at 04:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
You'll probably find it gets more wrong, Matt!

Basically the time on a unix server is always GMT.

The system is then configured with a "timezone setting" for displaying logfile dates, login dates etc.. This can also be changed per-user or per process.

Now the timezone can be "literal" (GMT +/- offset) or it can be a "locale" setting - this is a country setting based on a geographical place, and the rules therefore flip in and out of summertime-settings correctly, and on the right date (though not always the right time!)

Eg. My server has its 'timezone' information set up for the "United Kingdom and Eire" locale.

Whether this server is using a locale or not, this forum software is NOT using "locales" - The timezone you set here is based on a fixed offset.

The forums "use daylight savings time" flag -- as it doesn't know WHERE you are based in the world -- is a common flag for all forum users.

At some time (that is common to everyone) the "we are in daylight savings time" flag on the server will be switched off, either by an admin, or some automatic scheduling process.

However, it will go the same date for everyone, AND the same direction.

As the board is US orientated, I'm assuming the boards DST setting is currently "on".

So, whenever the change happens, presumably sometime over the next 24 hours, it will be changed to "off".... which isn't very helpful for you lot south of the equator!

Erik, you may want to check your admin panel to see if DST flips off automatically - I don't know this forum, but I suspect it's something you'll need to set yourself

[Last edited by jamie at 10-29-2005 04:29 PM]
10-29-2005 at 04:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Server Time Appears To Be Out
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com