Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Censorship of the internet (Hey)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bradwall
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 423
IP: Logged
icon Re: Censorship of internet (0)  
trick wrote:
Well, like most things with those idiot nazis, the swastika is a stolen symbol. Originally it was a holy symbol in some eastern religions .. a symbol of good. That meaning has been lost in time now, though. Funny how history can completely alter the meaning of something, huh ?

That kind of reminds me about the upside-down 5 pointed star. Now days, it is looked at as a pentagraham and looked as an evil symbol. Back in olden days, it was totally different. For example, Jerusalem used that symbol as part of their city's marking. There are more examples, but I don't have them in front of me.
10-28-2005 at 02:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Censorship of internet (+1)  
leroy00 wrote:
and an act of the congress of the United States renamed french fries into freemdom fries, and no one in the country found that ridiculous.
The only place that french fries were "officially" called "freedom fries" was in government cafeterias in Washington D.C.. I'm not even sure if all of them changed. I definitely never saw any restaurant change the name, and from what I saw most Americans found the name change pretty dumb and embarrassing. It wasn't put into law or anything. In fact, I think the congressman who put the idea forward in the first place is now in favor of pulling out of Iraq...so he did a bit of an about-face there.

And as for Cramp's question...I think both political parties use red, white, and blue as their colors. But in the newscasts delineating which states have been won by which candidate, Bush's were shown in red and Kerry's were shown in blue in the last election. There was a pretty obvious pattern in the map, and "red states" and "blue states" became a saying after that. (They were around in newscasts before, but didn't become popular until the last election, I think.)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-28-2005 at 04:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 622
A bit more specifically, only the news reports have a standard for the two parties, and it is quite recent, near as I can tell (2004 was fine, 2000 might have been, but previous elections were certainly a problem). Other... well, thingies, may use the other way around, following the "Left = Red" and "Right = Blue" standard.

My guess is that Democrats are blue because their party icon has a lot more blue than red (it doesn't have much red at all, and no white if memory serves), and the same goes for the Republicans' elephant (red is the dominant colour, especially with the blue already taken up).
10-28-2005 at 05:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
I'm glad somebody decided to make "right = red", or we'd be listening to thinks-they're-clever types calling Democratic-voting states the "commie red states". Of course, now people on the left can call Republican-voting states the "redneck states".

-Erik

10-28-2005 at 05:43 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I've found 'delusional' goes well with both colours. I mean, seriously, name calling based on political views? There is basically no difference between the parties except when you get right out on the fringes, and any party in power can't spend all their time doing things just for their 'side' of politics if they want to stay in power.

10-28-2005 at 08:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
icon Re: Censorship of internet (+2)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
trick wrote:
Yes! Me too! I've got one of those multispirals in a hold I've been tinkering with, actually. ...as long as it's rounded it shouldn't be a problem, right ?
Man, I am not going to write a swastika FAQ. :)

-Erik

Q: How can I stop my geometric spiral pattern from looking like a swastika?

A: Well, there's a number of options.
* Turn it so it's facing the other way.
* Add more turns to the spirally bit
* Round the edges to make it less angular
* Cover it in tar
* Rewrite DROD so that it uses a hexagonal grid
* Add a torso above it so it looks like a man running
* Try to avoid making it out of black door, surrounding it in a circle of wubbas and a rectangle of red doors
10-29-2005 at 01:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
Q: How can I stop my geometric spiral pattern from looking like a swastika?

* Turn it so it's facing the other way.

This doesn't work. People call it swastika anyway.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
10-29-2005 at 09:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
icon Re: Censorship of the internet (0)  
I was determined not to bring this topic up, but I found something interesting.

http://free.of.pl/s/swarzyca/ksiegi/swasta.htm

It helps if you understand polish, but I think it's quite self-explanatory. I don't mean to argue, just to broaden your view.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
11-01-2005 at 07:58 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Censorship of the internet (Hey)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com