Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Control potion
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
IP: Logged
icon Control potion (+1)  
after reading energy drink topic, i've got one: the control potion. You take it and then you select the monster to control. Then you can guide the monster like an mimic. You can't select tar and mud mothers. When used on a queen, it does move opposite of your moves and babies are also in control. The potion effects stop when taking an stop potion. Monsters also has original routines like the goblin avoids sword, wraithwing may flee when too close, evil eyes wake when stepped in its LOS.

The stop potion kills all mimics and decoys and stop the control potion effects.

Both could open funny possibilities like an puzzle where an queen or goblin must be guided out an maze while the player also moves in an area with walls, an puzzle where an decoy must lead an roach a bit nearby an trap but must remove it so it doesn't get trapped.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-19-2005 at 09:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Control potion (0)  
Me, I think that controlling monsters directly is better done with scripting... (you know, if scripts could detect any keyboard key hmm) The stop potion seems rather awkward; I say just kill the monster to get rid of it, as with mimics.

10-20-2005 at 12:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
If it was scripting, how would queen lay eggs and goblins avoid sword then?

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-20-2005 at 12:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
That's a good question. What does it mean for a goblin to be controlled by the player, but still avoid swords?

FWIW, I agree that I don't think scripting is an effective equivalent for this feature request. But it might be helpful if you could describe a few examples of solid puzzles using this feature that we can't already do with mimics.

++Adam H. Peterson
10-20-2005 at 12:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Like, you need a controlled queen to lay eggs that you control to an serpent.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-20-2005 at 12:53 AM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
I think one problem with this idea is that it gives the player a large amount of freedom in the choice of which monster to select to control. I don't know if that's necessarily bad, but it will make it difficult to design good rooms that don't have unintended solutions. Perhaps you could limit the player to selecting and controlling a monster within a 5 square radius (ie within reach of the invisibility potion). If the monster is forced outside that radius, the player loses control.

10-20-2005 at 02:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Queens lay eggs involuntarily, I am fairly sure. And goblins would avoid the sword... if the player made them!

10-20-2005 at 11:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Control potion
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com